Capitol Records to remaster Apple Records catalog

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pawnmower, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calico

Calico Senior Member

And will you need to purchase the complete digital albums if you want the extensive bonus tracks (a la McCartney and Harrison on iTunes)? In other words, if you want physical products and the bonuses, will you need to buy the albums twice...?

2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I failed to put one of the album titles in bold. Here it is again for anyone quickly scanning for it.

IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT? (1968) by Jackie Lomax
    Yes! This is a cracking album of powerful late-Sixties rock and blue-eyed soul originals by Liverpool vocalist Jackie Lomax. Among the many highlights is the one cover, George Harrison's otherwise unavailable 'White Album'-era song 'Sour Milk Sea', given to Jackie and featuring guest players including George, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Keith Richards and Eric Clapton.

This Remastered CD includes six Bonus Tracks, three of which are previously unreleased:

‘New Day’ / Jackie’s second single for Apple, from 1969
    ‘Thumbin’ A Ride’ / cover of the Coasters song, produced by Paul McCartney and the B-side to ‘How The Web Was Woven’ in 1970
    ‘How The Web Was Woven’ / Jackie’s last single for Apple, produced by George Harrison
    ‘You’ve Got To Be Strong’ / previously unreleased by Jackie Lomax; also covered by Doris Troy on her Apple album
    ‘You Make It With Me’ / previously unreleased; one of the last tracks Jackie recorded for Apple
    ‘Can You Hear Me’ / previously unreleased; one of the last tracks Jackie recorded for Apple in the summer of 1969

Four further tracks will be available exclusively as Digital Downloads, three of which make their debut in the digital domain:

‘Going Back To Liverpool’ / unreleased until 1991
    ‘Sour Milk Sea’ / 1968 mono mix (first time on digital)
    ‘The Eagle Laughs At You’ / 1968 mono mix (first time on digital)
    ‘Little Yellow Pills’ / 1968 mono mix (first time on digital)

3. MCE1965

MCE1965 Senior Member

It is simply stunning to me that these morons at Apple think that the members of the download generation are the ones who are clamouring for things like the mono mix of Sour Milk Sea, not those of us who still purchase physical, non-mp3 product. Unbelievable. Yet, sadly, very believable.

javilu77 likes this.
  4. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I would have to agree.
    To me it's a crime that they didn't include the mono "Sour Milk Sea"
    on the actual CD. I have only heard it once on the radio and it rocks.
    A total missed opportunity. :shake: Oh, well.

5. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

+1.

At best, I'm hoping these tracks will be available as individual downloads. I resent having to download an entire album to get one or two tracks. I've already purchased the CD, now you're gonna make me get a DL of the same thing for one or two songs? :realmad:

And they wonder why piracy is so rampant.

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm very grateful to the "morons" at Apple for releasing any of this stuff. I never thought I'd see the Lomax album on CD, let alone with bonus tracks.

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Will the downloads be available in flac? If so, then we should be happy.

And who is in charge of the remastering team? Any hope these will sound like something Barry or Steve might do?

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Excellent, they're also reissuing the Radha Krishna Temple album, that was one I wanted badly. :righton:

Evan

9. MCE1965

MCE1965 Senior Member

Perhaps you weren't aware that this was released on CD in 1991... with bonus tracks.

10. So not only does Apple apparently believe in aliens, they believe the aliens were fans and 'avidly' followed all of the label's releases.

Gotta love press release hyperbole.

11. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Add to the list The Radha Krishna Temple...www.thebeatles.com said they're the latest artist being added to the ever-growing list of Apple artists to be reissued on CD!:righton:

12. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

IMO, the mono "Sour Milk Sea" should be on the Come And Get It CD. In a perfect world, that CD would use all original single mixes.

And this Badfinger album, I'm not familiar with it: Assssss? Oh, it implies it's a sibilant needledrop. Got it. :winkgrin:

13. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

A** is a legitimate Badfinger release, their last for Apple Records (released USA November 1973).

This album has a bit of production controversy over quality (originally rejected by Apple) and music publishing (an issue involving Joey Molland songs), which caused its delay in being released.

I think there is plenty of source material that can explain the history of this album better than I can.

14. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Where's the Zapple stuff?

16. pdenny

I was not. Was the missing track you claim make those Apple guys "morons" on it?

17. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

Interesting that they changed the title of the singles comp from 'Those Were the Days' to 'Come and Get It.' I think a couple of tunes were added - was 'Saturday Night Special' on the 'Those Were the Days' tracklist?

I'll be very glad to get hold of this. I have my own quibbles - where's 'Tandoori Chicken' or 'Road to Nowhere'' or 'Yellow Submarine' (Black Dyke) - but no complaints, really.

18. I've owned the Lomax album on a LEGAL cd for almost 2 decades.
    Where the heck have you been?

I think making these bonus tracks available only as lossy downloads
    is the very definition of RETARDED! Capitol will be damn lucky if collectors
    buy these once, let alone TWICE (physical discs AND downloads).

I'm one of the younger guys who even gives a damn about this stuff,
    and I'm 46 frickin' years old!!!!! The kids don't care. For one,
    my own music lovin' 18 y.o. son could not give a rat's a$$ about Apple reissues.

javilu77 likes this.
  19. I forgot to add: I will be buying the singles collection to gauge whether or not
    I will be able to live with the sound of these discs (since I am not expecting much).

If the singles collection does not sonically horrify me (like several
    Post-Beatles-solo comps have) they'll probably get me to buy one or two titles.
    I do not require that these reissues sound like the Badfinger DCC discs,
    but with that as a go-by I do expect to be disappointed.

20. MCE1965

MCE1965 Senior Member

No, the mono 45 mix of "Sour Milk Sea" was not on the '91 CD, which explains my anger... there's plenty of room on this new CD for all the download-only bonus tracks they're making available to the teenage lossy-lovin' masses on iTunes and not to those of us oldtimers who enjoy fuller fidelity.

Thus... morons. :winkgrin:

21. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I believe it's a slightly clumsy reference to a song recorded by Apple's founders, rather than a claim of extra-terrestrial interest.

Me, I'll buy the 'Best of...' and hope they are encouraged to do a 'Rest of...' including the second Trash single.

22. pdenny

Oh...getting married (once), traveling, body surfing, making money, not even knowing about Jackie Lomax until 2 or 3 years ago when I found a cheap Apple vinyl, not paying $30+ for the import CD...the usual stuff.

23. Parlourphone

Parlourphone New Member

I think it's worth appreciating that Apple are sticking with EMI for their distribution, rather than sticking the boot in to try and bite off the remainder of the hand that fed it and going to One Little Indian or somesuch.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yes, there were rumors they were going with Rhino at one point. It's also encouraging to see that there may be more then just the originally-announced releases(such as the Radha Krishna Temple being added).

I would like to see the Ravi Shankar live album reissued as well.

Evan

25. Grunherz54

Grunherz54 Forum Resident

I was just able to pre-order A$$ for $18.98 at Amazon. No Dice, Straight Up, and Magic Christian Music are listed as well at that price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.