Capitol Records "Walking Distance" Photo Shoots

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

The Capitol Studios, along with Abbey Road Studios are on my list of place I really want to visit at some point.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Not sure who's star she's standing on, but this probably ain't too far from 1750 N. Vine.

[​IMG]

MLutthans likes this.
  4. MLutthans

Her own star is only about two blocks from Capitol, but I'm not sure if she had a star yet when that photo was taken.

5. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

That would've been awfully premature.

6. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

I have been trying to find, on the net, a photo of the first office. So far, no luck. Very elusive, though perhaps not surprisingly so: my mind pictures it as some tiny second floor space, barely showing any identification?

7. MLutthans

Well, it only took a couple of years, but I dug up the photo of the original Capitol office space. I had this in a three-ring binder that I took with me when I interviewed John Palladino a few years back, and this is just a cell phone photo I took today of the printed photo that's still sitting in that binder, so forgive the quality. The doorway off to the left that is highlighted in an odd purple-ish color is the entrance to the original Capitol office. I forget where I found this originally; maybe somebody will recognize the photo and be able to chime in.
    capitolOriginalOfficeDSC_0421b.jpg

Ridin'High and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  8. Ridin'High

Thank you; you are THE man!

Happy to oblige. After reading your post, I did a little more digging, and I think I found the original online source: an April 9, 2006 post from Mark Heimback-Nielsen's blog about Capitol Records, which is still active. Here is the link: popculturefanboy: April 2006 »

There is an intermediary source, too. It is a post from a thread about "Noirish Los Angeles," which has some great historical LA photos: SkyscraperPage Forum - View Single Post - noirish Los Angeles »

The following photo is captioned as having been taken inside the office on July 21, 1943.

[​IMG]

Peggy Lee was apparently referring to this location when she wrote in her autobiography that "those fellows were conducting business upstairs over Sy's tailor shop on Vine, just below Sunset ... Sy Devore was the leading tailor of the day ... "

That reference to Devore threw me off, because everywhere else I have been reading that Devore leased space from ABC. If he was on ABC space, then the location of his shop would have been a little further past Wallichs' record store. So, based on the Devore-ABC connection reference, I thought that Lee was misremembering. I thought that she was confusing Devore's shop with that of a tailor shop named Beni Garson, located on the first floor below the main wing of the second Capitol offices.

However, now that I am reading Heimback-Nielsen's aforementioned blog, it is looking like Peggy Lee was remembering correctly, after all. This is what he writes:

"Capitol Records officially opened for business on June 4, 1942 in a small 15’x50’ second floor office at 1483 Vine Street, just south of Sunset Boulevard (currently the entrance to the Bank of America parking structure), above Sy Devore’s Tailor Shop."

From this I am gathering that, before moving to space leased by ABC, Devore was using the 1483 Vine street space.

Maybe an LA resident can corroborate that the location of Bank of America (if it is still there) corresponds with the location of the entrance to the first office, as seen in the photo above? From a look at Google Maps, it would seem that Bed, Bath & Beyond is there now, while Bank of America is across, in what was NBC.

Here's yet something else that is confusing me: was 1483 Vine Street supposed to be the address for the entrance to the first office? From a look at the photo, I'm not sure that the would have a Vine Street address. (Then again, maybe the office itself was a long distance from the entrance -- all the way to what I'm thinking as being the Vine side of the street.)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  9. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

One of my favorite threads, though sadly I know next to nothing about Capitol pre round bldg..

McLover likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

But I love shots like these! capitolofficessunsetandvine.jpg capitol studios before.jpg Hollywood 1956.jpg

12. Ridin'High

Scratch the NBC mention; I had in mind the wrong corner side.

13. MLutthans

Great post! I wish I had more answers, but thank you for digging as far as you have. (I figured that it had to be close to NBC, what with "Radio City Drugs" and all.)

DLant and Ridin'High like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

In the mid 90s I went to an employment agency and filled out the paperwork just so I could be sent to the Capitol Tower to work on temp assignments. I asked for A&R, Promotion, or Marketing depts. It took many weeks to get the calls, but I did get to work in those three depts. and the view from above was cool. I took lots of promo keepsakes, and had a great time. But I did see some negativity setting in too. People rushing around, and cussing out people after they hung up the phone with them. One young kid looked at me and flat out said "This Job SUCKS" as he was answering phone calls in the promotion dept.

DLant likes this.
  15. Ridin'High

Bigger-size version of the photo:

[​IMG]

I do not see any name on the star being occupied by Nancy ... Thoughts about that? Could it have been a star on which no name had been placed yet? Or was "digital" deletion of the name a possibility back then? (The Capitol LP is from 1963.)

And how about the star seen next to the one on which she's standing? Is that Glenn Miller's name on it, or are my eyes deceiving me? .... A Google search is telling me that Miller's star is at 6915 Hollywood Boulevard.

[​IMG]

Currently, the following acts also have their stars at or near that address: The Munchkins, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Marion Martin, Basil Rathbone, Dick Powell, Johnny Grant, Creighton Hale, Richard Zanuck, Queen Latifah, Bruce Willis, John Singleton, and Elton John.

DLant likes this.
  16. MLutthans

6915 would be more-or-less across the street from the El Capitan Theatre complex.

DLant likes this.
  17. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Cue up Bernard Herrmann:

18. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I see the Miller, but can't really make out the first name. He did get his star in early 1960, so it's probably him.

DLant and Ridin'High like this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

These photos are awesome to look at, neat taking in the views of the area. I'd love for my wheelchair to visit Capitol and see that big stack of wax motif.

21. Rick Bartlett

if I had a delorean, this is exactly the period where I'd go back to 55'/56'. must have been amazing to see life
    during that time with the cars and the hot 50's chicks! music wasn't too shabby either :D
    the changes music was about to face over that 55 - 65 period, unfreakin' believable!

22. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

It's a really good, swingin' Jazz LP.

DLant likes this.
  23. Rick Bartlett

[​IMG]

ahhhhh! and to think that Brian Wilson walked through those doors, picked up a 'four freshman' record to play in
    one of these listening booths that blew his mind, and changed his life forever.
    The geneses of The Beach Boys was founded.

edit: I wonder who is the artist on that 'Specialty' 45? only artist I could come up with Frankie Lee Sims...?....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Galley, andrewskyDE and JohnB like this.
  24. MLutthans

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Thought about this one.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.