Capricorn one behind the scenes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by the pope ondine, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident Thread Starter

I not sure if this is on the dvd, I ran into it on youtube after watching the movie (I remember being fascinated by it as a kid, its aged pretty well!) anyway its 40 minutes of behind the scenes during filming, no commentary just every day film work, kind of interesting (If youre a film buff anyway) are there any similar clips online from other films?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I hated the film only because 1) it promoted the idea that a manned space landing could be faked in the 1970s, and 2) the video "trickery" shown in the film wasn't possible, because at the time a slo-mo machine could only hold 30 seconds of material. I've also been thoroughly convinced that you couldn't contain a conspiracy of this size for very long, because somebody would talk. Anything that makes people question real events -- particularly leading them to even start screaming "fake news" at legitimate, established news organizations -- makes me wince. I'm all for healthy skepticism, but not this.

I've disliked a lot of Peter Hyams' films (like this one and 2010), because he goes south with a lot of lapses in logic. I get that science fiction has to diverge from reality to tell stories, but I think there's a point where your suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

In all fairness: I did like Timecop quite a bit, and I not only think it's Hyams' best film, I think it's also Jean-Claude Van Damme's best film.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Seen it in the cinema real time.
    Made you think about the moon landing.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Seriously?!! :doh:

5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

There are many "behind the scenes" promotional films or documentaries containing similar but brief clips, but I've never seen this much raw BTS footage from one film before.

The most comparable thing I can think of is the rushes from Night Of The Hunter, which survived b/c Laughton decided to keep them.

6. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I've always heard that Capricorn One was actually filmed on a movie set.

7. alexpop

Thought it was a documentary myself. :laugh:

Remurmur and Spadeygrove like this.
  8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Who woulda thunk OJ Simpson actually went to Mars? Oh wait...

9. alexpop

Precisely. ;)

10. the pope ondine

I like Timecop too. I like Busting too even though its a bit sloppy, I just love a 70's buddy cop movie so maybe im biased. agree with some of your issues with Capricorn, it stretches the limits a bit, even going along with the general concept.....why not tell the astronauts beforehand, or get new ones who will go along with it? why not scrap the live shot with the family - its way too risky.
    but I guess my fondness for these types of movies overrules my complaints

Vidiot likes this.
  11. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

No.......it didn't.

hanleyp, SuntoryTime and Vidiot like this.
  12. alexpop

Easy for you kiddies to analyze it forty years later.:D

the pope ondine likes this.
  13. the pope ondine

yeah! we didn't have the internets back then. we were all jacked up on Jolt Cola and Pop Rocks! anything was possible :pineapple:

realkilroy and alexpop like this.
  14. alexpop

You had to soak it all in and remember verbatim, got a little fuzzy at times like the black n white clip of the moon landing. :D

Spadeygrove and the pope ondine like this.
  15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I was a kid when this movie came out. It was perfect for a kid my age. Just enough action, just enough wondering about how the adults spoke strangely to each other(flirting!).

And Telly Savalas absolutely RULED as Albain.

My old full frame laser disc revealed a brief scene, right after they get pulled from the ship, when you can see actors talking but cannot hear them. I wonder what the dialogue was, and why it was dropped?

Dan

the pope ondine and Spadeygrove like this.
  16. alexpop

Josh Brolin should be involved in the remake.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  17. the pope ondine

josh is in the raw footage, hes with the other kids talking to James drinking cokes after the stunt.

alexpop likes this.
  18. I enjoyed it quite a bit and it is still a well made film. Yes, it has some logic gaps and the fact that conspiracy theorist used this to justify their belief (along with 2001) that the moon landing was faked is pretty offensive to me (it's amazingly ignorant). I enjoyed "2010" as well although it can't even compare to "2001" in any way, shape or form. There are a couple of sequences that are pretty great in "2010" like when John Lithgow's character has to cross from the Russian ship to the rapidly spinning Discovery. Helen Mirren is always a delight (and it doesn't hurt that she looks hot in the film) and the film has some terrific performances.

SuntoryTime and Vidiot like this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Back in the day, I bought my father a Panasonic CT6000 which looks similar to this unit. It was out first large screen TV.

[​IMG]

The front opened up, when you wanted to watch TV.

[​IMG]

The tubes, projected light on to the surface of a mirror, which reflected it back onto the 5' (diagonal) screen.

[​IMG]

I remember renting Capricorn One on VHS tape and watching it on the JVC-6700 connected to the CT6000.

The best parts of the movie, were those involving the two chase helicopter's and the bi-plane.

The aerial photography was well done and looked as specially well done and exciting to view on the "large screen" TV.

I had remembered this movie and was looking for a copy. I wanted to see these same scenes all over again.

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Just watched this movie again a week or two ago. Great footage you posted; thanks for sharing!

the pope ondine likes this.
  21. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I would be all for sending OJ to Mars. Nobody else, just him.

Dan

Chris DeVoe and ohnothimagen like this.
  22. I believe, and sure many of us do too, that are many very well hidden secrets by govermentS that are either half truths that got public or plain stuff we know nothing about.
    But I DO believe all the Apollo missions are true.

altaeria likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the U.S. government is too inept to hide something this massive, particularly with the number of people working on the "Capricorn One" project. And I've seen enough of the Saturn V launches at Cape Canaveral to know that at least the rockets are very real. I can only assume they actually went into space, but back then, it'd be too hard to fake.

Given the number of photographs and millions of documents that are available for anybody who does a quick internet search, it's easy to see that all of it really happened. I think to pretend that any of these space missions were faked does a terrible disservice to the great scientists and brave astronauts who worked in the program for decades. There's way too much stupidity in the world as it is, particularly with Flat Earthers and idiots like that wasting space on the net with their nutty opinions.

24. I'm not talking about the Apollo or Saturn missions, nothing to do with space missions, just staff, as I said before, that maybe half truths that went public and people bought, or just well hidden secrets that have never went public and will never be.
    I'm giving you an example from my home country: during Franco's dictatorship there was a Prime Minister but not elected democraticly. One of the last Prime Ministers back in 1973 was assasined by ETA, the Basque separatist terrorist band. In the mid of Madrid they dig a 200 meters tunnel, planted explosive charges under it andalso at the sides of the street were the Prime Minister passed everyday, all in daylight with fake workers that ETA planted on plain eyesight for two days where everybody could see them. The Prime Minister was killed and his car ended up on the roof of a 4 stories conventry, in the middle of crowed street in Madrid, at around 200 meters of a military post were surveilance was heavy. Do you really believe that a a band with limited money and resources at the time acomplished that? I don't buy as many people with knowledge on the matter don't buy it.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I went to Australia...twice, apparently it doesn't exist :crazy::crazy: there will always be a lunatic fringe, now they have a worldwide platform to get together and share their views, the carpetbaggers will turn it into a business to make a few bucks off the gullible. Remember peak oil? we were supposed to run out of it by now....earth was going to turn into a Mad Max movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.