Captain Beefheart Safe As Milk from the MONO master on Sundazed!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Laservampire, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Will they release Safe as Milk (the album) mono Mix this year? Seems this is still uncertain.

2. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

It sounds like Sundazed is working to get the rights to reissue it. IIRC, this was mentioned on their FB page.

3. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

It's surprising that obtaining the rights would be difficult, given the multitude of reissues over the years...but perhaps things standardized post-1999.

4. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Indeed. It's even more strange that they were able to license 4 songs from the mono master to release as 45s on RSD, but they didn't get the rights to the whole album. I guess each release has it's own unique license, but still.

5. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I find the phenomenon of endlessly reissued albums that seem to have had their rights finally secured to be fascinating. Back in ye old days, Safe as Milk was reissued approximately seventeen gazillion times (quick count: Repertoire, old Buddha, One Way, Castle on at least three occasions, Decal...and probably several more), much like the contemporary albums of The Small Faces, The Zombies, and so on. In the past few years, though, the well has dried; I wonder whether the rights have finally been sorted out. At least in Safe as Milk's case, the Buddha reissue appears to be out of print *on Buddha*, but seems to have been reissued as a Sony/BMG Special Products release, whereas Rev Ola has it in the UK. I wonder whether Sony's tightened its hold on CD reissues; a vinyl-oriented release on the Sony-friendly Sundazed might not raise the same flags.

6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

IIRC, most licenses are for specific terms, not open ended. That is why you see so many different reissues throughout the years. I think that with all the recent corporate mergers, lawyers have made master rights licensing quite difficult and expensive. Before the big boys bought the back catalogs of almost every label that has ever existed, it was probably far easier to license and release out of print albums.

If Sundazed could get the rights to release those 45s, and every Velvet Underground album save Loaded, I can't imagine they will have any trouble getting the rights for a mono Safe As Milk release.

7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I corresponded with Bob Irwin about this a while back. He made a conscious choice to release the first Leonard Cohen album in stereo. I'm paraphrasing now, but the thought was that since they were reissuing several albums by Cohen and were trying to reach a broad spectrum of fans, rather than just us older, obsessive collectors, Bob felt it would be better to issue it in stereo. He didn't rule out the possiblility of issuing the mono album at some later time.

8. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I would buy that in a heartbeat. I wish Sundazed would also release Trout Mask Replica and Beefheart's Reprise albums.

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

any news ?

10. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing Thread Starter

Had a listen to the RSD 45s a few days ago, they sound excellent, even on my modest system. Very close to the pro-quality transfer of an original '67 mono LP I have.

I'm not going to bother transferring them though... because Sundazed just confirmed that the mono Safe As Milk is coming on CD this year!

Kyle H. and apple-richard like this.
  11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:D

Laservampire likes this.
  12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

In the past couple of decades, BMG purchased the rights to the old Buddah catalog, which had previously been available for milking to any and all comers--hence the repeated reissues on various labels. Sony merged with BMG and so now the catalog is under their domain. Which is why the latest issues of material from bands like The Lovin' Spoonful now appear exclusively on Sony in most territories. Same with the Captain Beefheart material from the Buddah era.

The Sony/BMG Special Products issue is just a straight reissue of the Buddha issue, but through their one-way (not returnable) low priced catalog channels.

I have no idea why Sundazed would be having a problem getting the rights to the reissue. Maybe it's just a minimum run/minimum cost problem.

13. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Where did they confirm this?

14. Laservampire

Facebook.

15. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I just checked their FB page and didn`t see it. If it`s only CD, I`ll be quite sad.

16. Laservampire

It was on a comment someone had made on their page. I bet they'll do vinyl too though!

17. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I'm not on Facebook anymore, so I can't find the comment. In any case, this is good news.

18. Captain Pete

Captain Pete Forum Resident

Dunno whether someone here has seen their last facebook post:
    Przechwytywanie.JPG

Looks like we're getting a nice monaural vinyl release soon!

19. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

Yup, I can confirm...vinyl and CD. And I'm doing my damnedest to make sure the packaging is awesome.

Platterpus, crispi, hvbias and 4 others like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Good news. Will be nice to have this on cd.

21. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Oh hell yeah!
    :goodie:

22. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Sounds great - I would love it if the bumper sticker and inner sleeve were recreated.

23. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Can hardly wait. :cool:

24. Great news!

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Currently running a weakest link on this album, down to three tracks now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.