Captain Beefheart Safe As Milk from the MONO master on Sundazed!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Laservampire, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Interesting. If there turns out to be an issue with this thread, its not going to be with Lukes analysis of the reissue - thats fair game. And he/we can comment on it and post our thoughts. We can get cranky and chide Sundazed to be more detailed or forthcoming. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem, IMO, would likely be some publicly posted claims or accusations of deceit/fraud/dishonesty that have no basis in fact. Show where Sundazed actually says whats being claimed. Cobbling together bits here and there over the internet, naively presuming they must be both reliable and accurate, then making personal inferences or rationalizations from these is not sound or defensible. This is our hosts website. Think of that.

hazard likes this.
  2. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

They have had opportunities to clarify the sources used but instead have acted to suppress any questions being asked. They could take the same approach with this thread, and whatever the rights or wrongs SH is part of the industry.

3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I can't see that Facebook comment surviving.

quicksrt likes this.
  4. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

And hopefully SH would stand up for some level of transparency - as he often gives with his own work - rather than succumb to a request, for that's all it could be, to silence his members.

Billy Hunt and lukpac like this.
  5. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

All they need do is say it's not true, and that they never said whatever we may accuse them of saying. Problem solved.

6. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

looked for that link. Didn't see it

subtr likes this.
  7. Billy Hunt

I don't think it's possible to link to it directly but it's a reply to what at the moment is the first post in the Visitor Posts section on the left of the Sundazed page.

subtr likes this.
  8. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

lukpac likes this.
  9. Billy Hunt

10. Raunchnroll

Or go to the house owner from whose porch 'we' (i.e. some forum members) are making false accusations from. Etc.

scottc1963 and Dr. Mudd like this.
  11. Dok

Dok Senior Member

From the Sundazed Facebook page -

"We’ve raided the Warner Bros. vaults and freed these tracks from their analog asylum! ...just to get them into your hands for Record Store Day! Two monstrous recordings from The Electric Prunes circa 1966 now presented in their never-before-heard vintage mono mixes! Our deluxe sleeve features notes from band leader Jim Lowe! This strictly limited 7” is a must for all garage-psych collectors and lovers of formidable 45s everywhere!"

Someone asks if they are stereo fold downs to which Sundazed responds -

"Absolute original mono mixes, created in 1966, and left on the shelf."

If only there were that forthcoming about SAM. ;)

You going to investigate these Luke?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't have any particular interest in doing so, and if they are actually unreleased, it would be hard to do any sort of comparison. If someone felt there was a cause for concern, I could possibly be persuaded to take a look/listen, but presumably there's only so much investigation possible.

Hopefully they in fact come from tape so it's a non-issue.

13. Raunchnroll

Thats the thing. If more customers asked Sundazed specific questions (without being snarky) perhaps it would change how products are being described.

If a particular release required some 'patching' - or was a needledrop - and that was disclosed, it might thwart some customers from buying. How many? Who knows. I doubt it would affect most consumers looking for a playable copy of some scarce or never-before-available recording.

14. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Thanks. The comment is from 4 days ago and has garnered 1 person's reply. I doubt Sundazed will issue a statement. Besides, if they say they committed no deception those that are convinced that they did will not be convinced otherwise. If they say that they did act deceptively all of their credibility is shot.

15. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

You got me.

Billy Hunt likes this.
  16. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

There's at least 2 Beefheart fans in Southampton. I'm the other one!

Billy Hunt likes this.
  17. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Great to know!

vudicus likes this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Previous analysis:

Autumn's Child
    Grown So Ugly
    Electricity
    Where There's Woman
    Abba Zaba
    Plastic Factory
    I'm Glad
    Call on Me

Next up: Dropout Boogie

The break from 1:14 to 1:19 is spliced in not from the stereo mix folded down, but the left channel of the stereo mix:

[​IMG]

The ending is not spliced on, but fades about a half second early:

[​IMG]

There seems to be a hint of vinyl rumble near the end of the fade (heard if the level is substantially increased).

As with Call on Me, the Sundazed is faster than the mono LP; just over 1% faster. And as with Call on Me, there's a lot of distortion not present on the mono LP. The first 1.5 seconds of the song is *extremely* distorted, then it suddenly gets slightly better. But there's still more or less constant distortion throughout the song (patched in break excepted), some of which can be seen above from 1:11 to 1:14. Interestingly, other than the speed difference and added distortion, the Sundazed sounds quite similar to the mono LP.

Did Call on Me and Dropout Boogie perhaps come from the same (distorted) source, with Call on Me having added EQ and Dropout Boogie not?

19. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Not to get too infinitely regressive here, but what false accusations have been made exactly?

crispi and lukpac like this.
  20. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

All Cretans make false accusations.

lukpac likes this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

But there's no stoppin' the Cretans from hoppin'.

Telemark, APH, Laservampire and 2 others like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Why the heck should a customer have to ask indepth specific questions about the legitimacy of a reissue to try and play some cat and mouse game? Thats ridiculous. Statements are made by said company and Im suppose to do flips and dissect what they *really* mean by ______ (fill in the blank as to what claim you wish to place in that blank space)..?

Its as if *Im* to blame that I bought a shady (at the very least) release because I didnt dig into the possible ways I might be getting screwed over. Sorry, but thats really doing flips to try and justify Sundazed actions or any companies actions in a matter like this.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  23. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

It's the Homer Simpson defence. "Marge, it takes two to lie ー one to lie, and one to listen."

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What is in all this for you? The satisfaction of knowing you defended a company right to the end? Even against all contrary evidence, you hung in there to the end?

What's in it for you?

25. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

Maybe an original mono master version of SAM?........oh, wait...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.