Captain Beyond

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SimplyOrange, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just heard their first album for the first time today. Wow. That's all I can say :D

2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yep-it's a great album. Don't bother with their 2nd.

GodShifter and norman_frappe like this.
  3. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Not true, the second is not as good as the first, but still a good album. IMO

4. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

They were also a good live band

Schmeig and MrRobivan like this.
  5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Correct :)

6. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I was close to buying a twofer for $20. But I might get the second separately and save a good eight bucks.

7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Untrue, get it. It's more acoustic but a fine album just the same.

8. MrRobivan

MrRobivan Active Member

I recently picked up a white label promo of the first album on eBay. It arrived in a large lot of records that I had purchased and was a very, very pleasant surprise.

9. wayved

wayved Guest

That first album is amazing.

10. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I was also thinking of putting up a post for Rod Evans, very sad story what happened to him after Captain Beyond. He deserves better.

Yes, the Captain Beyond album is a good one.

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

He did it onto himself.

12. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Wow indeed. :)

That was my reaction when I heard it for the first time around 3 years ago. I don't know what took me so long but man oh man !

The 2nd album is more acoustic oriented but still fine as well IMO.

13. Lethrus

Lethrus Forum Resident

Yep. Count me in for having the same reaction to my first listen maybe 5 years ago or so. I had never heard of Captain Beyond at that point. Found a mint copy of the first album (with cool 3-D cover!) in a bargain bin for a buck, and was amazed at what I heard. I eventually picked up the second LP (Sufficiently Breathless), and really enjoyed it as well. The third album (Dawn Explosion), released in 1977, didn't even come close to measuring up to the first two IMO.

14. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

I first heard CB in '72. My best friend had seen them open for Deep Purple (IIRC) at the San Diego Sports Arena; he was a lead guitarist in various wanna-be bands but gave it up and switched to bass after seeing Rheinhardt play that album live. "What's the point of even trying?" and so forth. He played the album for me a day or two later and my first reaction of course was "Wow!" (actually, in the parlance of the time, semi-articulated "Oh wow, man" with moronic dopey grin on face). It hasn't aged for me, except for the spacey lyrics. Still love it.

pulpo likes this.
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

I have it. I enjoy it.

Rod Evans could at least shown some class and sang, "THEY all came out to Montreux..." At least David Coverdale did that when fronting Purple (1974-76).

Rod was trying to pull a fast one. Now I guess he truly is Captain Beyond.

16. I like the second. A different direction, not quite as consistent, yes, but worthwhile. I like the third as well but, again, a different direction with a different front man.

17. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

You might also like Armageddon, Bobby Caldwell plays drums on it along with Keith Relf from the Yardbirds. They only had the self-titled album, but it is in the Captain Beyond vein and has several good songs on it.

One Louder likes this.
  18. NickDanger

NickDanger Forum Resident

Ok, now I feel old. I bought all their albums when they were released and I still play them regularly. Where have you guys been?

19. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I saw them in Ft Worth in 1972, I think!!, and was amazed at how Rhino was able to keep a rhythm going while playing the leads. I knew the drummer and bass player were good enough to replicate and expand their playing from the album versions, but I had no idea that one person could play all those guitar parts so well. It was also a good vocal night for Rod Evans, I heard he could be hit or miss at this time period.

20. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

I like this album so much I have 8 different vinyl copies- WL promo, test pressing, sealed 3-D copy, UK, Japanese....

Tjazz and Mad shadows like this.
  21. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

The original (and best) line-up.

captain beyond.jpg

22. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

The second one is great, IMHO.

vegafleet, SwollenGoat and DJ LX like this.
  23. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

The second album is the one I heard first and it is still my fav album of theirs.

vegafleet and Mister Charlie like this.
  24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yeah. I like Sufficiently Breathless the best, myself.

vegafleet and Mister Charlie like this.
  25. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Really great album, and fine musicianship from beginning to end. Bobby Caldwell's drum fills throughout the album are great. Rhino was a beast on guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.