Captain Marvel Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Pretty solid; of course, I have to wait and see the film itself to make the final judgement.

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I loved Brie Larson in Room. Ben Mendelsohn is a magnificent actor.

I am a very casual fan of the Marvel movies, but I am very interested in seeing this one. I know next to nothing about the character. Before the film was announced, the only Captain Marvel I was aware of was the Shazam! Captain Marvel.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Heard of Shazam.
    What a silly name "Captain Marvel" we already have a Captain,
    Captain America.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I know Carol Danvers (Brie Larson’s character) was Miss Marvel for the longest time before taking on the Captain Marvel title.
    For what that’s worth.

6. alexpop

Another one Captain Britain ( Jason Statham :D).

7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

When I saw the thread title I thought they were talking about a movie featuring DC's Captain Marvel rather than Marvel's
    (they are supposed to be doing a Black Adam movie (Black Adam is an opponent of Shazam). One of the reasons for the change of the name of DC's character to "Shazam" is that for legal reasons DC can't name a comic "Captain Marvel" and this likely extended to the movies.

Concerning heroes/villains named "Captain", there are the following (scanned Wikipedia for some):

• Captain America
    • Captain Atom
    • Captain Britain
    • Captain Boomerang
    • Captain Carrot
    • Captain Cold
    • Captain Comet
    • Captain Thunder
    Related:
    • Colonel Computron (Enemy of The Flash [Barry Allen])
    • Major Force (Enemy of Captain Atom)

Lightworker, seed_drill and alexpop like this.
  8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Lownote30 likes this.
  9. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I find it interesting, given their trademark entanglements, that both Marvel’s Captain Marvel, and the original Captain Marvel (now operating under the name Shazam) are in the movie pipeline at the same moment in time and will likely hit the screen within a year of each other, after decades of under-performing as comic book characters.

I remember a Marvel comics letters column back in the day in which a reader was impressed that Captain Marvel got a shout-out from The Beatles (in ‘Bungalo Bill’). In his reply, Stan Lee — in a moment of humility and honesty — offered up that John Lennon was likely referring to the Golden-Age ‘Shazam’ character in the song, and not the recently-launched Marvel version. (Or maybe it was Roy Thomas answering those letters then?)

10. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I'm curious about the movie. I'm not sure it's going to work. But then again... I would have thought the same thing about Black Panther and that was wildly successful.

The problem with the character is that it's kind of a confusing origin story and even power set.

The original Marvel version was Mar-vell... a Kree alien sent to earth to spy on them. And then he becomes a super hero on earth and then has to share a body with Hulk's old friend Rick Jones (who also basically started the Avengers). That character to me was never that compelling.

Then there was Carol Danvers who was actually Ms. Marvel. She debuted in sensational 1970s women's lib style... she ran a magazine and was a powerful hero who got her strange powers from Mar-vell (or something). But the thing is her powers were kind of generic and confusing.

Then Marvel tortured her character to make her more interesting. By far one of the most bizarre storylines to ever happen to a character. She basically is brainwashed, kidnapped and raped and is suddenly very pregnant. She then gives birth to a baby who quickly ages to become her rapist reborn. She then decides she loves him and goes away with. It's freakin' sick! Later they torture her again by having her powers and partial memories stolen by future X-Man Rogue. She then battles alcoholism and eventually changes her code-name a bunch of times until she goes with Captain Marvel.

Another bizarre Captain Marvel that isn't as well known is Monica Rambeau who had the power to transform into any form of energy she wanted to. She had no relation at all with the Kree.

There have been others too.

Anyway... the most interesting thing about the Kree to me is the Supreme Intelligence. I hope they use it. It could have parallels with today's idea of machine learning/AI/etc. But the rest of it is kind of generic.

CrazyCatz, razerx and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This news knocks me right between the eyes.

vince likes this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You forgot.... CAPTAIN VIDEO!

13. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Don't forget Nick Fury. Before being played by Samuel Jackson, he was white Sgt. Fury. Somewhere along the line he got promoted to Colonel, before retiring and moving on to SHIELD. He was even played by David Hasselhof:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, there was Sgt. Rock.

[​IMG]

CrazyCatz likes this.
  14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Marvel's Captain Marvel's!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CrazyCatz and The Pinhead like this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

….but this guy came 1st! (Well, after the original CM and before the Marvel version that is...!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CrazyCatz likes this.
  16. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I have a copy of the first issue of Captain Marvel (the first comics depicted above) in mint minus condition. I also have the original series by Jim Starlin on Thanos and the infinity cube. I thought Marvel Studios would have introduced Adam Warlock by now since he is the central character in the story line.

Yes I WAS a comics geek!

17. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

There was a Shazam TV show from the 70's about an older man called the Mentor traveling with a young boy in a camper. My thoughts then was - Wow that's weird.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Brie is a great choice.

They want to include Captain Marvel in the next Avengers movie.

I'm in.

19. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

Mustn't forget the 1941 version:

CrazyCatz and R. Cat Conrad like this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And Captain Canuk dere, you betcha. Guid Day.

carrick doone likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

But a good one. This idea of "giving a character we don't really care about" over to a "girl", was a bad idea from the git.

Agree, the 'better" idea would have been giving the Captain - and the Cube - and Thanos - AND Adam Warlock - and whutthehell, the whole Skree/Krull conflict, for that matter - back over to Starlin's storyline. An then if it popped onscreen...throw the man a ton of money, and develop Dreadstar as a series existing outside the MCU...so they could schedule a film whenever they damn well wanted to stick one in without fretting about Marvel's constricting continuity gauntlet.

22. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I remember the Captain Marvel title wasn't selling well and finally they killed him off with some kind of cancer. I don't know how the character became female or if it's the same character at all. I stopped reading comics by that time my mother kicked me out of her basement. (Just kidding).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think the problem that DC's had with Captain Marvel is that he is operating in the same world as Superman and that makes him a bit redundant (in one version of Justice League Superman wasn't available so it is likely that they used Captain Marvel for that reason). One thing that was good about the Pre-Crisis* DCU was that Captain Marvel and Superman were on different versions of Earth and each was more effective on his own Earth. It also avoided redundancy between the two characters.

*Crisis On Infinite Earths was a massive story that ended with the entire DC Multiverse being reduced to a single universe. Before then, Superman was on Earth-One and Captain Marvel was one Earth-S.

24. alexpop

Zapped, huh. :D

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. alexpop

Looks like Supergirl, pass.

CrazyCatz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.