Captain Marvel Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Arnold Schwarzenegger was going to play him one time.

2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I liked DC's update of the character and made him great (for a time I was waiting for each issue of his comic). In a nice nod to the past they made his fictional origin (the one given to the general public) the same as his comic book origin.

3. alexpop

[​IMG]
    Nick Fury Agent Of S H I E L D ?

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Don't forget this guy:

[​IMG]

Who had to change his name to

[​IMG]

5. alexpop

Mmmm...
    Magnus Robot Fighter 4000AD?
    Less Silver Surfer more Gold Key.

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'll be the first to say....
    I've only recently started learning about the comics these movies are based on...
    Never read a Marvel or DC book in my life!
    Just know Capt. Marvel from The Beatles song!
    In fact, when Pop Will Eat Itself released "Can U Dig It?", my wife and I wondered out loud, 'Who's Allan Moore?'
    Embarrassing, right?

7. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Same character.

8. Solitaire1

In the above series they explained why Nick Fury wears an eyepatch: During a mission he received eye injury in one of his eyes. The doctor told him that he could:
    1. Have the proper medical procedure that would repair the injury but would cause him to be taken out of action for a while.
    2. Have a quick fix that would allow him to quickly return to action with the downside that he would eventually lose vision in that eye.
    Not wanting to be taken of action, he chose option #2. Between the time of the above series and Nick Fury -Agent Of S. H. I. E. L. D. Fury lost his use of that eye.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Who was Nick Fury S H I E L D artist ?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  10. Solitaire1

I've not read the Nick Fury - Agent Of S. H. I. E. L. D. The story I mentioned appeared in an issue of Nick Fury And His Howling Commandos and the part about losing his vision in an eye appeared at the end of the story.

As far as artists go, one I know that is associated with Nick Fury - Agent Of S. H. I. E. L. D. is Jim Steranko due to his innovate artwork on the title.

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

Jack Kirby perhaps as well.

12. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

If I remember the story correctly, a British publisher had some success licensing and publishing reprints of the (‘Shazam’) Captain Marvel character. When Fawcett, the source of the original Captain Marvel stories, ceased publication, the British publisher continued on with their own blatant knock-off character, Marvelman, I suppose hoping their readership wouldn’t notice or mind the switch. Interesting that The Beatles cited the original character in their song, and not the home-grown British retread.

Jim B. likes this.
  13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, the return of Marvelman, originally written by Alan Moore (Watchmen) is one of the best comics I've ever read. AND it would be a kick-ass movie, one that I'd much rather see over ANY Captain Marvel movie, from Marvel OR DC!;)

Jim B. and mx20 like this.
  14. alexpop

Captain Britain.
    Lousy costume.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I haven't listened to the White Album for a few years.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Chance to buy it again 50th Anniversary and all that( assuming):D

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, brother. I want an embossed numbered one this time around.

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's fantastic. On the reprint books his name isn't listed, it just says 'the original writer' because he fell out with Marvel.

It is a much more realistic take on the character which would make a super film, I agree with you. I suspect the rights may be a legal mess though.

19. alexpop

Yeah! Don't screw up this time. :D

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Kirby is a legend however what Jim Steranko did for Fury was a game changer and took the character from a second tier Man From UNCLE-ish character to another level. Fury/SHEILD was/is intertwined in pretty much every Marvel characters history since he got involved.

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

Very futuristic James Bond I thought.

noname74 likes this.
  22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Yep definitely that too.

alexpop likes this.
  23. alexpop

Was let down with Marvel Universe's Nick Fury,missed opportunity.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think Captain Marvel was a lame comic idea. Another superhero for the sake of it and of no interest. Marvel then got all tangled up, using the name for a multitude of different characters. Read this:
    Captain Marvel (Marvel Comics) - Wikipedia :rolleyes:

I was disappointed to learn that the character was being brought in to help solve The Infinity War crisis. That happened in the later comics from what I can gather, which I never read.
    For old-school me, The Avenger are: Cap, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Ant Man, Wasp, Hawkeye (maked in his purple suit!) and my favourite of all; Dr Strange.

alexpop likes this.
  25. Solitaire1

That's true. Kirby is co-responsible for most of the Marvel Universe (my understanding is that they only reason Steve Ditko did Spider-Man was that Kirby didn't have the time).

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.