Captain Marvel Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Can't be!

The guy in the first pic uses more than just the "E" string.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't forget Captain Canuk, heroically making poutine safe for the world.

carrick doone likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And here I thought he was just drawn by Gene Colan by accident one day, and lost a whole side of his face...

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Marvel Girl would have sufficed.

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

How the hell is he smoking that cigar without moving or breathing? :laugh:

Madness likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yes, it's a prequel. (1990s era.)

Yes, Samuel L. Jackson is in it.

Yes, they did that de-aging thing.

[​IMG]

Vidiot and Quadboy like this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Here's what I'm curious about...

If the Captain Marvel film takes place in the 90's.... and apparently features Skrulls... will Skrulls feature in current time films in the future? Has Pepper Potts been a Skrull the whole time? And will the Stark/Potts offspring reveal be like a disturbing "V" tv-movie sort of thing? Am I just rambling incoherently? Yes... yes I am.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I'm guessing they were ramping up to introduce Adam Warlock in Guardians III. Now that it's on permanent hold, maybe they will rethink this and do wholly new Guardians adventure focused on Adam or Stallone's Ravagers.

I just hope what I always hope - that Captain Marvel is good. I don't remember the character at all so I am assuming she came about after I stopped reading comic books, but I am definitely intrigued about the early days of Shield angle.

9. BeatleJWOL

Same, especially after some of the comments from Ant Man and the Wasp about other Shield agents. (Not really a spoiler as the first film establishes that Hank Pym was a former Shield agent himself.)

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I am excited about this movie. I have been reading the old X-Men seried from Giant Sized X-Men #1 through the Fall of the Mutants storyline, and Carol Danvers crosses the X-Men's path more than once during that time.

Of course, I would be excited for a Sub-Mariner movie too.

11. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The lawsuit was never settled in court, but it resulted in Fawcett agreeing to stop publishing Captain Marvel. Ironically, DC eventually published a Captain Marvel comic (called Shazam!) in the 1970s and eventually purchased the Fawcett character outright.

That's not unusual. DC has also purchased the Charlton (including Captain Atom and Blue Beetle [Ted Kord]), and Quality (Uncle Sam, Doll Man and Doll Girl, and The Human Bomb) characters too.

seed_drill likes this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The Watchmen were originally going to be the Charlton characters, but Alan Moore decided to go with slightly altered new characters instead.

funhouse likes this.
  13. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Stormrider77 and CDC like this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Looks.... okay, I guess. I'm really hoping it's good. I also hope the soundtrack is stacked with 90's grunge and Radiohead! Probably get Snoop Dogg and Hootie and the Blowfish instead. Hrrmph.

p.s. If they can make old actors look young again why can't they shave 30 years off Chevy Chase and make another "Fletch" film?!?

Rhett likes this.
  15. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I'm getting no charisma or star power or,.….anything from this actress or this character.

Deuce66 and Rhett like this.
  16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The reason Moore went with new characters, based on the Charlton characters, is that DC (who had just purchased the Charlton characters) realized that if Moore had used them DC wouldn't be able to use the characters again so they wouldn't allow him to use the characters.

BTW, in Multiversity (which covers the entire structure of the DC Multiverse and beyond), they showed Earth-4 which featured the Charlton characters. With one exception the characters looked just like their original Charlton appearances. The one exception was Captain Atom, who looks like Dr. Manhattan except with more covering clothing and white hair on his head.

funhouse and seed_drill like this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

That trailer has been getting very bland reviews. If this one's a hit it gonna seem like Marvel's bulletproof! And it probably will be!

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

First impressions: generic (very)

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  19. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

They have (sort of).

20. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I found the trailer so-so.

This is going to be a tough movie. IMO the Marvel cosmic characters have a harder time translating to the screen than those more rooted in earth. The Guardians were popular because they have an earthling leader and they all listen to earth pop hits from the 70s so they seem more relatable. The Carol Danvers character has such a weird and confusing back-story in the comics so it'll be interesting to see how they tell the story in the MCU. I guess they are using the amnesia thing from Ms. Marvel/Rogue in a new context. Maybe that'll pay off or have some emotional resonance. And the Skrulls being on earth in the past is an interesting development/potential long running impact for even the MCU movies of the past.

I'm hoping this first trailer is intentionally hiding things they want to reveal later... like the Supreme Intelligence. Lots of story potential in that concept for our modern times.

21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I liked the trailer. There is a lot in there it seems. Think this film will be great. Marvel trailers always tend to not show much and even fool us (like the Hulk in Wakanda) so it's always a case of wait and see.

I really like Bree Larson on screen.

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Origin will be - she is a fighter pilot, shoots down alien spaceship, crashes, absorbs power from alien spaceship, goes to Kree homeworld and then comes back to earth to capture Skrulls.

Skrulls will 100% mean some members of the current MCU will be shapeshifters.

Luke The Drifter and ampmods like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

I've been doing some thinking about upcoming events. I'm starting to wonder something. At the end of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 the bonus scene hinted at the coming of Adam Warlock. Now, as far as I can tell, Adam is not in the next Avengers film nor even planned for Guardians 3. What I'm wondering is did Captain Marvel take Adam Warlock's place? In the comics it is Adam Warlock who ultimately defeats Thanos. Was this the original plan for the films and it somehow got changed? I was certainly looking forward to Warlock as Starlin's run is some of my favorite comics ever, not to mention the Infinity Gauntlet.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One reason is that it costs about $2 million per minute. Another is that Chevy Chase is not very funny these days.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. BeatleJWOL

We won't know for sure until next May but it certainly seems that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.