Car CD players head toward extinction

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jojopuppyfish, Jul 26, 2013.

1. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Active Member

Nope, no aux jack either. I ended up having an aftermarket Vaistech ipod control connected to an Audio Control dql 8 and a 6 channel McIntosh amplifier. Sounds awesome but have yet to use the sweet cassette player! Ha!
    Doug Sclar likes this.
  2. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Man, my early Kenwood from the early 90s sounded amazing.
  3. MacGyver

MacGyver Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Paul W and JulesDassin like this.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

Would be nice if they would just provide USB ports on the stereo itself, allow you to hook up a FAT32-formatted USB flash drive, and support FLAC files.

5. They'd only screw that up by not supporting gapless playback.
    mj_patrick and Vidiot like this.
  6. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Forum Resident

Just remember...if you still have a portable cd player....and the car only has a cassette player....(nice used car :D)

[​IMG]

I used my old discman with a converter into my car cassette in the 80s and it sounded great this way !!!
  7. rstamberg

rstamberg Forum Resident

I have a Pioneer CD player I bought new in 2002 that's been in two cars of mine so far. I'll just keep using the thing 'til it dies.
  8. hogger129

You can get ones that will plug into the ciggy lighter too and can connect to your iPod. I don't think they sound as good as a direct AUX connection to the stereo or listening to a CD.
  9. jim tavegia

jim tavegia Forum Resident

-----------------------------------------
    Now you tell me and I was just off to buy one for my 97 Marquis. At least I agreed that the cassette player had to go. Dang. I am always a decade behind. Maybe 2 decades now!
  10. MLutthans

MLutthans 70mm Gort Staff

I am right there with you! When I rent a car and it has a touchscreen, I want to touch it....WITH A HAMMER! When I'm driving, I want my stereo to have easily usable KNOBS and BUTTONS, not a menu to sift through.
    ggergm, Ham Sandwich and McLover like this.
  11. shadowlord

shadowlord Active Member

my car stereo has a cd player and a SD card slot.
    I never used the CD player in the 3 years i own it.
    Actually i wouldn't want to switch to anything else than the SD card based solution. It's small and it can hold a lot of music. (plus it's not draining my phones battery like some of those bluetooth/smartphones thingies)
  12. jim tavegia

Just bought a Sony car cd player and will install this week. No dang mp3's here.
  13. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

I'd be fine with a tape deck in the car, if it was a good brand. A Cd/cassette combo would be the best. But I can see why folks would rather plug in their iPhones. To each their own.
  14. jeffsab

jeffsab Well-Known Member

The last new car available with a tape deck was the 2010 Lexus SC430.
  15. hogger129

FM Transmitter.
  16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

It's been all downhill since auto manufacturers discontinued the 8 track player!;)
    PhilBiker likes this.
  17. It's wrong that I'm 31 and feel like an old fogey in my extreme displeasure regarding this potential automotive development.
  18. jkauff

jkauff Forum Resident

They already have. My new Honda Accord has a USB port, but the player only does MP3/AAC, no gapless or FLAC. They could easily add those capabilities with a software upgrade, but I never heard of a car manufacturer updating the audio software once the car leaves the factory.
  19. hogger129

does it do WAV or AIFF at least? i don't know about you guys, but uncompressed sounds better on the car stereo in my VW than MP3 or AAC.
    Paul W likes this.
  20. WiredChuck

WiredChuck Forum Resident

I am a journalist and I covered the auto industry for a couple of years before moving on to another gig. None of you guys are the target demographic for the auto industry. They're after your kids, specifically the millennials, which is why the infotainment systems in cars are becoming increasingly sophisticated. Here in the states, the current and next generations of buyers are where the growth is (China and India, the largest markets in the world, are a different story) and those generations grew up with touchscreens and constant connectivity. They don't want that to end when they get in the car.

Automakers realize this, which is why they're working with the likes of Microsoft, Nvidia and so forth to make the in-car experience mirror that of a tablet or smartphone. You're going to see the line between automobiles and consumer electronics blur still further. Apple, for example, has patented an automotive-based system, and I've spoken to a couple of auto industry analysts who say it won't be long before a major consumer electronics company - an Apple, a Samsung, perhaps Google - offers a drop-in, plug and play system directly to automakers. The iCar is not so far-fetched as you might think. (Apple's already stepped into the game. An Apple exec sits on the board of Ferrari, which is owned by Fiat, which owns Chrysler.)

As to the guy complaining about firmware updates, I'll assume you have no idea how much software runs in a modern car, and how it is updated. The infotainment system is but the tip of the iceberg. Tesla Motors, for example, is pushing updates to the Model S system control software wirelessly and remotely, and this too is the wave of the future. Unless you're driving a car built before the 1990s, The odds are that the first thing your mechanic does when you've got a problem is plug a computer into your OBDII port. Your car is essentially an enormous computer.

As to the concern that the automotive product cycle lags behind the consumer electronics cycle, this is being addressed as well. Audi, for example, is using an Nvidia Tegra chipset in its infotainment system that can be swapped out as the chipsets are updated. The different development cycles are a big reason screens and software are playing a bigger and bigger role in automotive infotainment - software can be updated and screen reconfigured as needed to keep pace with changes in technology.
    JulesDassin and IronWaffle like this.
  21. jim tavegia

I just bought a pretty nice Sony ($69 at Best Buy) that I installed in the old Marquis...took about 30 minutes with 2 harnesses and the install kit. It replaced the swell factory double din cassette player/tuner. I would not have replaced it had the backlit display bulb had not died. 16 years....can't any thing last. lol

The Sony sounds good enough for this old ride I use to get back and forth to school. I don't need a new ride to sit in the school parking lot in the sun for 8+ hours a day.

I think I'll put the old one is a time capsule in the back yard for when the Aliens finally arrive. Then they will really know how primitive we are.
  22. Paul W

Paul W Well-Known Member

My new car can play WAV files from USB flash drives. I loaded approximately 500 CDs on two 128GB and one 64GB flash drives, so not having a CD player would not be a big deal for me. However if I had no way of playing lossless audio, other than by using a media player, I'd be annoyed and would likely not have purchased my current car.
  23. Paul W

Paul W Well-Known Member

When Hell freezes over! :)
  24. Amazing how seemingly overnight, a CD player (or even a CD/Cassette combo) without AUX input went obsolete overnight. Over the past two years, I ended up buying used head units with AUX inputs for cheap, around $10-15 ea. (vendors at the Carlisle PA car show events were selling them) - of 4 units, 3 were perfectly good and the 4th proved worthy as a donor for a 5th identical unit that I bought for $10 and gave to a friend. I still have 2 head units with AUX input, waiting to go into any future car I may get, or for any friend or family member in need. The cheap DUAL branded head units even have a USB port, which is perfect for charging a phone, while leaving the other port open for GPS or whatever (I have one in my Subaru and gave the other to my friend's girlfriend for her truck). I did buy a double-din unit, originally intended for the Subaru, but I put that one in my 82 Oldsmobile wagon - it not only has AM/FM/CD, but has Weather Band, AUX, and a USB port that will recognize MP3 files (but not MP4 files). Even one of my friends, who had been using one of those FM modulators for his older systems, is changing over to the new style radio units with AUX. At least they'll remain the most usable type head units for the foreseeable future.
  25. quadjoe

quadjoe Forum Resident

I have a new Cadillac XTS which has the CUE infotainment system, and I'm slowly adapting to using it. I have my iPod hooked up to one of the 3 USB ports in the car and it actually sounds pretty good (better than the XM satellite radio, though that's no fault of the cars' stereo, but rather XM itself.) The CD player is a single disc unit located in the glove box, so it's not convenient to use from a driver standpoint. The touch screen works pretty well, but the car also has voice commands and I can change the radio station just by telling it where to tune. It is sad that the CD players are going away, but the handwriting has been on the wall for a few years now in spite of all the protestation on this and other audio forums.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)