Car City Records, Detroit: is it gone now?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by -=Rudy=-, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. art

art Senior Member

DEAR CUSTOMERS, FRIENDS, AND FANS OF CAR CITY RECORDS.

WE REGRET THAT CAR CITY RECORDS WILL BE CLOSING SEPT. 30 AFTER A VERY LONG RUN OF NEARLY 30 YEARS ON THE GLORIOUS EAST SIDE. NO REASON OTHER THAN AFTER MOVING OUT OF STATE FOUR YEARS AGO THE OWNER FINDS IT DIFFICULT TO GIVE THE BUSINESS THE ATTENTION IT DESERVES. NEXT TWO MONTHS PLEASE STOP BY FOR A LAST CHANCE TO GET YOUR FINGER TIPS DIRTY AS WE SELL OFF INVENTORY AT BARGAIN BASEMENT PRICES. STARTING ON FRIDAY, AUG. 5, ALL USED LPS, CDS, 45S, CASSETTES, DVDS, BOOKS, 78S, 8-TRACKS, ETC IN THE STORE ARE BEING SOLD AT 50% OFF MARKED PRICE!!! NEW LPS AND CDS ARE AVAILABLE FOR $3 OFF MARKED PRICE. COME VISIT US AND SAY FAREWELL!!!

THANKS FOR YOUR PATRONAGE

LOVE YOU

BOB, DION, CHAD, MATT
    More:
    http://blogs.metrotimes.com/index.php/2011/08/end-of-the-road-for-car-city-records/

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Repeat the Beat was bought by Jeff and became another location of Desirable Discs.

As for Dearborn Music being all thats left, well, I am speaking of nearby. I am not talking about Royal Oak or Ann Arbor, Lansing or Grand Rapids. I won't drive 90 minutes to shop for music.
    The worst to me was losing Harmony House. The place always had customers then closed in our faces.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

And Rock of Ages in Garden City.

Is Street Corner Music still around? They were in a large location at the corner of Southfield and 13 Mile and then moved to a smaller location a few miles away. I went to the new location once and wasn't impressed simply because it was much smaller.

4. KeithH

Have they been at the corner of Michigan Ave. and Monroe all that time?

They had a smaller store in Canton but closed it a few years ago.

5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Yes they have had that corner since before I was born. The Canton store was pretty big, in fact bigger than the Dearborn store. Lots of floor space.

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Street Corner is still open , they are @
    12 Mile & Greenfield in Oak Park , near
    Book Beat

http://www.streetcornermusic.com/

7. Belsnickel

Belsnickel Forum Resident

Yeah, I tend to forget about "Rock of Ages" since it's geared more towards the Insane Clown Posse demographic.

8. Belsnickel

Yes, now I remember Music Music - the owner sold me a stash of Seger boots on cd (Back in '72, etc).

9. Belsnickel

It's Ann Arbor to Dearborn for me. I won't even consider north during the SFLD shutdown.

10. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Good to know. Too bad about Car City. They had a very good selection and the prices were reasonable.

11. KeithH

If I remember correctly from talking to a friend awhile back, they moved the Canton store at one point. I moved to Michigan in 2006, and they were in a shopping center at Ford Road and Canton Center Road by then. The store was good size, but not bigger than the Dearborn store.

12. KeithH

Thanks. That's it. I miss their previous location.

It's a huge store, but it's a mess and not exactly a music store.

13. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

I cant believe "Hot Hits" even bothers staying open, has anyone seen their store? looks like a giant storage unit. You cant find anything, & they have too much junk laying around. When I was back home last Aug, i stopped by there, as you could usually find cool, old, promos and stuff...not anymore. They need to shutter that place, it was full of junk and dirt. I would ask the guy, "you have this" "nope"..."got this" Nope", and they had NOTHING when i was there......

P.S. didnt someone here say Record Time was closing? Sad....Once Harry/Mike Huckaby, & Mr Bill, left...I didnt think it would stay open much longer after that. It's been on life support since. Those guys were the reasons why I went there.

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Record Time closed both their
    stores , sadly :cry:

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Thousands of cd's , i would consider
    it a music store with other items too , they now have fish &
    aquarium supplies , oddly enough .
    They actually have a very diverse
    selection , things i would not have expected , if you take the
    time to have a good look through , tons of Rock T-shirts
    as well , less vinyl than they used to

16. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

Car City is 5 minutes from the house. Gotten a lot of stuff there in the last 2 years, I'm pretty bummed

17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I will affirm that Rock Of Ages has all kinds of stuff. If you've never been there you need a guide. They ARE the premier ICP and death metal store though.

18. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Just curious... does Dearborn Music still have it's "Classical Store" separated from the main room? (Along Monroe.) I think there use to be a coin shop in the little place they put the classical stuff in. Going waaay back.

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Yes

20. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

UFO Records in Royal Oak (Detroit) has developed into one of the best (IMO) music shops in the metro area. The shop is is downtown RO and has been open almost a year. It's awesome and they even feature live music at times.

21. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

Stormy Records is only a few miles to the east of Dearborn Records on Michigan Ave. Also, love going to the Holiday Grill and Koney on Michigan Ave., just west of the Dearborn music.

22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

And Cheli's Chili Bar just east(Chris Chelios-Red Wings)!

23. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Are you referring to UHF Records?

24. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Isn't it all vinyl, no CDs? And isn't the name UHF Records?

Too bad about Car City. Ugh! Record Time gone and now this one going too. If the owner lost interest, why doesn't he let people run it who would clean it up and make it more vibrant and hip? There's so much possibility there. Looks like this is the end of east side record shopping. :(

25. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

OOPS- yes it is UHF records. They have lots and vinyl (new and used). They also have cd's (mostly local), posters, pins and other collectibles. Check it out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.