Car City Records, Detroit: is it gone now?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by -=Rudy=-, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

Yes- it is UHF. It's been a long day and for some reason UFO was stuck in my head:eek:

2. readr

readr Forum Resident

Many, many trips down Harper South, right down 9 Mile to Gratiot and then North to Melodies, RT and Hot Hits (then get it at Best Buy.......I'm Just Kidding!). I think I'll go this week.

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Seems Rockabilly's in Utica is still open for biz

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Damn, I shopped at Car City regularly from about age 11 (1992-ish) till I left Michigan in 2004. Wish I could go back to grab some bargains at least, but I probably won't be able to get back to Detroit for a few months. One of the few, if only things about living in Michigan that I will really miss.

5. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Oops, forgot about Melodies & Memories....and it's the closest one to me.

Duh!

6. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Stopped over at Car City this afternoon. Place is filthier than ever with no air conditioning or fans running. Pop/rock used CDs are pretty picked over. Lots of other CDs still available, new and used. Bought a used Billie Holiday CD....the 50% off total was $3.60. Didn't browse any vinyl, but there's lots left. If their sale on new CDs goes higher than $3 off regular price, I may go back......otherwise, farewell Car City.

7. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Did they re-open ??
    The last time I drove by they were gone. It looked like the shoe store next door had expanded into where Rockabillys was.

:(

8. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Just got word this weekend. Car City is closing for good at the end of September :(

9. Csericks

Csericks Forum Resident

The closing of Car City is a real shame.

10. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

:cry:

I loved going through the vinyl at Car City, and always walked away with a decent sized haul. I won't be back in Michigan until December. Damn.

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

For those in the Detroit area, there is an article on Car City's closing on the front page of the August 31st issue of St. Clair Shores Sentinel. A colleague brought it into work for me today, and it's a sad read.

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'll have to try and make it there one last time!:cheers:

13. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

i visited Car City records in march 2003 when i "visited" Detroit for a business trip and could stay on the week end
    i remember a huge place and above all local garage rockers Tom Potter( Bantam Rooster and Dirtbombs) and Matt Smith ( Volebeats and Outrageous Cherry ) working there which was rad for me ( i still have their business card with Tom Potter mobile phone handwritten on it )
    i visited as well a store called ' Young City Rebels ' which was owned by Dave of Italy records, very nice guy who sold me White Stripes second single for a mere 4 usd . He recommended Car City and not very familiar with local geography i remember forking out a huge taxi fare to drive there and then back to airport :)
    Is Young City Rebels store still around ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.