Careful with that UltraSonic Axe, Eugene!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been loving my KLAudio. This isn't meant as a review, but I will say that it is worth every penny if you want ridiculously clean records with minimal effort. That said, a word of caution... cleaning too many records in close proximity to the machine *may* cause some health problems.

I say "may" because I can't really know if the ultrasonic cleaning was the actual cause, but after narrowing down some possibilities it seems to be the best bet. Here's what I experienced...

About 10 days ago I took the day off to have my room professionally setup and optimized (an experience I will get around to writing about soon). Earlier that week I had acquired several big boxes of UK original pressings. In the past I was only cleaning records with the KLAudio on an "as-needed" basis, usually a few per night.

Since I had all of these new records and knew that my system was getting professionally setup, I started cleaning non-stop the night before the setup. I continued cleaning non-stop the next day while the setup was getting worked on.

I'd say that I cleaned 50 records in those two days, mostly sitting about 5 feet from the KLAudio, The machine itself isn't all that loud, so no biggie. But that afternoon out of nowhere I started seeing spots. I'd describe it as kinda "kaleidoscope" vision. Very weird. I've never had anything like that, definitely not to that degree anyway. Shortly after that I got a killer headache.

My system was getting close to dialed in at this point, so I manned up, took a handful of Advil and started self-medicating with tasty Moscow Mules. That did the trick and I enjoyed my newly dialed in setup and freshly cleaned records the rest of the evening and through the next day. It never occurred to me that the ultrasonic cleaner might have caused my severe headache.

I continued listening to my pile of clean vinyl the next day. As day turned to night, I started cleaning more records between albums. Another headache ensued. Again, I didn't connect the dots.

For the next 8 days, I had severe headaches EVERY single day. I assumed they were stress related. I even went home sick one day because the headache was so bad. I've never had a history of headaches, so I was starting to assume the worst. Surely this was a sign of impending death!

Still not connecting any dots, I spent every waking moment running records thru the ultrasonic. Even with the headaches, I was bound and determined to continue listening to my system. After the setup, it was sounding better than anything I'd ever heard and I couldn't get enough. But after an hour or so, all of a sudden I had had enough. My head was pounding, my ears ringing and high notes were piercing needles on my ears. WTF!

At first I assumed the setup must be off. I mean, it sounded fantastic but it was killing my ears. After 2 or 3 albums, I couldn't do it anymore. No more music. I'll just watch tv instead. All the while cleaning away. But even listening to the radio at low levels on my drive was killing me. Everything was sounding like bright & brittle nails on my ears.

On my drive home yesterday, I started thinking back to that very first crazy headache that started 10 straight days of killer headaches and ear pain. I tried to think about what might have started it all. Finally it occurred to me that the only thing really out of the ordinary was my sudden upsurge in cleaning on the ultrasonic.

I did a quick google search on "health concerns of ultrasonic cleaning". The first few reports were studies by manufacturers of ultrasonic equipment (apparently there are ultrasonic welding machines and big washers for scientific lab equipment). These reports essentially said that there is no known relationship between ultrasonic machines and hearing issues. Then a ran across a study of studies published by what I assume is the UK equivalent of OSHA. It pretty much said the opposite.

Apparently many workers who participated in studies where they worked in close proximity to ultrasonic machines have indeed reported health issues. These issues? Headaches, tinnitus, ringing in the ears and nausea... pretty much my symptoms to a "t".

I didn't clean any records yesterday or listen to music and haven't done so today either. Today is the first day I've been headache free in 10 days.

So this was my long way of saying that if you're using an ultrasonic record cleaning machine, make sure you aren't in the same room when it's running and/or maybe space your usage out a bit. Even though the KLAudio doesn't seem very loud, I guess my ears are still pretty sensitive to the ultrasonic frequencies used and/or the associated noises being generated.

I'm sure I'm not a unique butterfly in this regard. Anyone else have similar issues after heavy usage of their ultrasonic machines?

2. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Maybe the use of ear plugs would be a wise precaution--even though the record cleaner is not loud.

3. Brian Gupton

Not sure. Would they block out ultrasonic frequencies?

I can easily put the machine in my record room. It's less convenient than my dining room table, but probably a more appropriate place. It just never occurred to me that there would be any issue at all. :)

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You are correct. ;)

5. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'm impervious to ultrasonic frequencies, so you can solve your problem by sending it to me ASAP. I can't believe I'm the first to post this cliche' garbage:)

Aftermath, Sailfree and Brian Gupton like this.
  6. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Sounds to me like a classic migraine. I had chronic migraines for about 15 years, before I found a treatment that got rid of most of them. They usually started with seeing spots or flashes of light, sometimes days in advance. Then nausea, headache and extreme sensitivity to sound and light. Listening to music is the last thing I want to do then. I never had a migraine until I was 40. All kinds of things can bring them on -- change in weather, strobe lights, going to the movies, strong scents, lack of sleep, certain foods...I would think the ultrasonic frequencies could do it too, or maybe it's something else about it. I'd at least try some good earplugs or else what I use with my DIY vacuum RCM, target shooting headphones, which I got online for about $25. Good luck!

L.P., Mad shadows and Brian Gupton like this.
  7. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

That's a pretty interesting story.....I would definitely try to take a break between sessions like that. I could see how hours of that in close proximity could cause a migraine. Good story....hope they don't return and that's the end of it.

- Buck

Simon A and Brian Gupton like this.
  8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Yikes!
    I've never used an ultrasonic record cleaner. Does it continue to do the ultrasonic while sitting idle? Or does it only doe the ultrasonic while actively cleaning a record?

This is worrisome though. Especially for an audiophile. If it harms listening enjoyment short term, and potentially harms hearing long term, then Yikes! That's not what audiophile things are supposed to do.

9. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

Dude, if you have headaches for 10 days in a row, go to a doctor.

klownschool, mpayan and TommyTunes like this.
  10. Brian Gupton

Man, i hear you. But my health insurance is with Kaiser Permanante. Every time I goto the doctor for anything they take my temperature and tell me to come back if it (whatever it is) doesn't get better in a week. HMO's are the worst.

Sailfree likes this.
  11. Brian Gupton

No, it turns off after the cleaning finishes.

12. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Brian, I think you need to follow your instincts on this one, at least for a month or so. Should the issues come back, then you may want to see someone about it. I think you've taken the time to analyse the whole thing and that you've found your problem. It's not because it's not a well accepted idea that it means it isn't true. I wish you the best and I'm glad you're enjoying your new set-up and your LPs.

13. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Is there any chance of vapors coming off the cleaner? Or maybe change what you use to clean with.

Sailfree likes this.
  14. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

In my experience I'd bet its the proximity to the ultrasonic machine. I run something totally different, but it is an ultrasonic bath and a couple minutes in the room with it is unbearable. Its loud, but not that loud. Its more than the dBs. I'd run the KL in a separate room with a door you can close.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

How about cleaning your albums in moderation. Can't believe I'm saying this.

Aftermath likes this.
  16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'd agree. Brian did get a bit obsessive with the cleaning.

17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

That you don't regard the cleaner as loud doesn't mean it's not; it's just you can't hear it. I've seen pets twist in pain at those ultrasonic devices used for defensive or deterring purposes (dog attacks, etc).

Ghostworld and rob303 like this.
  18. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Your right about that. The dog runs screaming at our home when my girlfriend uses an ultrasonic cleaner on her jewelry.

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

It's louder than you think. You just don't hear it. If you could see the output from an infrared remote, you'd be surprised that it is as bright as the LED on a smart phone but you just can't see that light frequency. If you could see infrared, that remote would hurt your eyes if it was close enough and constantly in use. Similarly, you can't hear the ultrasonics but the frequencies involved (main frequency plus any harmonics above or below) can really hurt after awhile even though you only hear a "buzz" from the machine.

I worked with an industrial size ultrasonic cleaner. It was in a closed room away from any other work areas because we measured well over 100dB from it at a couple different ultrasonic frequencies and over 5 feet away. This was at just below 25kHz and around twice that, a harmonic. Also another machine for fine work at around 130kHz, if memory serves, was loud on the 'scope but not nearby (to the ear). So all were kept in a closed area. I would do the same with any ultrasonic LP or parts cleaner, if you have the room, or at least keep it at a good distance or use ear plugs if you aren't trying to listen to tunes.

20. dadbar

dadbar Forum Resident

You should go see your ophthamologist. I had a similar experience last summer with a partial retinal detachment. The vitreous in my eye pulled away from my retina and created some weird light pockets that I saw as bright spots. It could be that the vibrations from your cleaner facilitated something like this.

21. Brian Gupton

No, it only uses water.

22. Brian Gupton

I don't really need to cut down on the number of cleanings. I think I just need to move it into another room and close the door when it's on. That said. I really never need to clean more than 5 records per day.

23. Brian Gupton

Funny you mention the dog issue. That's actually what made me realize that the ultrasonic might be the proximate cause. I remembered that the first week I had the ultrasonic, the dog would freak every time I turned it on.

Kkfan and The Pinhead like this.
  24. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Sounds like a migraine to me.

25. Thanks for posting this. It may be just a coincidence, or the ultrasonic frequency may be hammering our brains! I have not noticed any symptoms after using my machine, however I subscribe to the "better safe than sorry" philosophy and will keep distance between the machine and my big, follicly challenged melon. :) Also, I will observe the cat and see if she avoids the ultrasonic cleaner while in use. She is smarter than I am and I will follow her lead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.