Carlos Santana Criticizes the NFL for Halftime show

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StevenC, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

Being born and raised in the bay area, I have to agree (but he forgot Green Day, Rancid, Sheila E)

Carlos Santana

13 hrs ·
    Dear NFL/CBS....I would like to take this opportunity to thank you both for including me as a part of your Super Bowl entertainment. I do feel compelled to point out to you that the Halftime Show should have included some of the local iconic bands that the World would have loved to see perform. Bands like Metallica, Steve Miller, Journey and yours truly. We would have rocked the Half Time Show and done the SF Bay Area proud. This is just an invitation for you to consider iconic bands as part of your Half Time entertainment. Real live music, real live vocals, and give the audience real live chills.

Carlos Santana

Om, musicfan37, jlykos and 46 others like this.
  2. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

Hear, hear!

kozy814 and doyleDog like this.
  3. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Rancid at the Super Bowl. Man, that would be great. Minds blown worldwide.

Santana makes an excellent point about the local acts, although cities like New Orleans, NY and L.A. might demand the same.

musicfan37, Man at C&A and mooseman like this.
  4. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

High on Fire, Exodus, and a reformed Vio-Lence. That would be my idea of great Bay Area Super Bowl halftime entertainment.

5. The Super Bowl isn't a local event. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more Coloradans and Carolinians there than Bay Areans.

seed_drill, melstapler and Steve B like this.
  6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Now we have a conundrum because folks here don't like Santana either.

7. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

They tried a bunch of classic acts (Stones, Who, Bruce) and I heard the ratings dropped so they have gone for pop mainstream the last few years.
    It's all about the $$$, not about celebrating quality music.

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Agreed. It's just a huge spectacle, catering to the lowest common denominator. The idea of seeing an old timer like Steve Miller up there doing "The Joker" is a bit of a laugh. As dumangl pointed, it's not about celebrating "local" acts either. Santana's statement seems pretty clueless to me.

9. The Who and The Stones were quality music in their heyday, but that was a loooooong time ago.

I suspect that Bruce is still is quality.

The Super Bowl should not be expected to be about celebrating quality music anyhow. It's about celebrating quality football, and providing entertainment for the fans during halftime.

jumpinjulian, forthlin and DrBeatle like this.
  10. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

JakeM and starduster like this.
  11. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I don't even care who does the Super Bowl half-time show. I'm in it for the game (depending on who's playing, of course). If the half-time performer is an act I like or respect, then they have my attention. Otherwise, I'm off to do other things. No harm done.

12. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Let's leave politics out of it while we're at it.

pscreed and Tommyboy like this.
  13. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Santana's right. Coldplay and friends was a snoozefest. Beyonce was the only redeemng thing and she had to futz it up with her Black Panther tribute. Lame any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

15. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

A guest appearance of Ian Thomas with Carlos Santana would have been cool.

16. cobbler

cobbler Forum Resident

What is all the fuss with the half time entertainment.

Can you not buy a cup of tea and a meat and potato pie ?

17. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Santana is still a gifted player. Why he couldnt be included on the "friends" list is confusing. People don't really care anymore that his best albums happened decades ago. Most people today don't even know what an album is.

18. That would be OK. I think that would be an interesting way around the annual hunt for Super Bowl halftime entertainers. It would preclude all the Brits, though.

19. Beyonce, and her (lack of) tune, was by far the worst thing about that halftime show. Coldplay was fine, but not very exciting, and the only really worthy part was Bruno Mars doing Prince & Morris Day's (oops, Mark Ronson's) tune. There are not enough words in the language to discuss how truly awful Beyonce was. And this comes from one who appreciates the social points she was trying to make in the song. It was just a poorly-written attempt that was further undone by the incongruous dance routine. Dire.

20. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

" Who is Carlos Santana?" said many , many people in response. I love the way he slid "...and yours truly" into that list of people he claims that "the World" (sic ) would have loved to see perform.
    Sure, Carlos. Problem is, they only want to see you perform Black Magic Woman.

And then leave.

D.D.

Man at C&A and GodShifter like this.
  21. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Yep -- I agree. By "redeeming" I meant that her presence offered the oppotunity to "class up" the proceedings. Epic fail.

22. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Assuming they remember him at all, a good portion of the younger generations are mostly going to know Santana's work from the duet songs he did backing top 40 artists who were popular during the late 90s/early 2000s. Since they had Coldplay and Beyonce perform, they might as well have added Santana to the show.15 years later and still the same few artists, which is a shame.

23. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

I agree who cares !

24. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Let's just do strippers for next half time show and get to the point. It doesn't have to be a musical act after all you know?

Purple, dobyblue, goodiesguy and 5 others like this.
  25. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Is he Rob Thomas' brother?

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.