Carlos Santana Criticizes the NFL for Halftime show

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StevenC, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

I'm not even sure most people at the Super Bowl and those who watch it are even big football fans. So this plea for the old acts instead of who is currently popular and looks good on TV is probably going to fall on deaf ears (no pun intended).

DrBeatle likes this.
  2. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

It started around the time of the video Thriller where the dance became more important than the song.

3. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

I would say the dance enhanced the song rather than became more important than it.

DiabloG likes this.
  4. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Toni Basil and Paula "Laker Girl" Abdul changed the perception of Pop music for decades on.

5. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I take it you're not old enough to remember Chubby Checker?

Diamond Dog, Henryflowr and PHILLYQ like this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

Difference is, especially with MJ, the talent backed up the gimmick.

7. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

To bad he's dead.
    My dream half time show would be GG Allin and the Murder Junkers with El Duce.

Just turn GG loose on the 50 yard line, GG will do his thing and run loose into the stands.
    Duce will then come out, sing a little bit and run into the stands to steal a few beers.
    The Bada Bing girls descend to the field, GG sees them and chases the girls around, Duce will pass out.

The most memorable halftime show ever.

8. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

that's a whole different ballpark of course.

9. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I would vote for Neil Young and Crazy Horse (yeah, Neil is also Canadian so that would add a little international flare!) Just picture it: Neil and the Horse with their huge "Rust Never Sleeps" amplifier stage set right on the 50 yard line and have them come out and just do just one long song to tear the place down- maybe a faster one like "Welfare Mothers".

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Which isn't even his song! Aren't out touch arrogant old rockstars embarrassing? He had his moment 47 years ago at Woodstock.

11. StevenC

Old and out of touch, maybe... Better than Beyonce's lip syncing s**t show? Certainly.... Without question. There are a gazillion R&B acts that could have actually performed. Alicia Keys (has she performed at the Super Bowl before?), John Legend... Two actual ARTISTS vs. "performers"... and what people don't get about her performance that included the Black Panthers wasn't any sort of statement whatsoever. It was that the Black Panthers were pure Bay Area and they were recognizing where they were... That and Bruno Mars doing the "(MC) Hammer Dance" were the only redeemable things about that "performance"... But lip syncing? Mark Ronson pretend to fake DJ... embarrassing!

DrBeatle likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Well, I love Neil Young, have most of his albums and would rate many of them as all time favourites, especially ones with Crazy Horse. I got to see him about 3 years ago at Newcastle. Crazy Horse, the 'Rust Never Sleeps' amplifier set up... and it was awful. I wasn't expecting and didn't want a 'hits' set, but his set list was terrible. He had an unjustified utter contempt for the audience. It was one of the worst concerts I've ever been to. He's been mediocre to total rubbish for years now. Churning out disappointing album after disappointing album. And I'm a fan!

13. StevenC

Except Billy Idol played my company event last year and had beers with the crowd... not exactly the star power the Super Bowl committee are looking for... and while you don't care about American football, many many Americans are on this thread.. and the way you speculate than 99% of non-Americans don't care either. Unfortunately, the same could be said for Americans and all things Australian. Americans know a handful on Aussie bands.... at all.. let's see, AC/DC, Men at Work, INXS, who else? Midnight Oil? Honeslty, if the Minogue sisters died in a plane crash, 97% of straight music fans would have to Google them... if it even made the news here. People care about the Super Bowl. However, they hire mediocre B.S. to do the half time show. Prince was great, nearly everyone else was hard to sit through..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2016
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't see it but that sounds absolutely horrible! Pretending to DJ? Oh dear. I've always considered Beyonce incredibly overrated. She's undoubtedly a great singer so why does she mime her most high profile performances? (remember 'At Last' to Obama?). There's no way Aretha and Etta or any of her other influences would have done that.

15. StevenC

I saw the Setlist you wanted to see... 2004ish, Bridge School Benefit (Neil Young's Star-filled Bay Area concert that helps kids with severe disabilities), Paul McCartney was the headliner... Paul was late and Neil came back on and did a second set that included a lot of gems... including a ripping version of Cortez the Killer. When Paul arrived, Neil and Paul sang a duet of "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah, I've only seen Neil once and a caught a bad, or at least one that didn't appeal to me, concert. My friends who have seen him on other tours have said he was amazing. They also thought Newcastle was terrible!

17. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I wasn't being racist! Just many posts in the thread suggested the Stars had to have "global" appeal. I don't really see the need as American football, as the name suggests, is.... well.... American. Unlike "The World Series" which includes.... lots of Americans??:winkgrin:

I'm sure we can both agree that Billy Idol rocked though, that he has 3 or 4 songs everybody knows and his band know how to play:D?

Also a good shout on AC/DC! They'd rock the place to.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  18. StevenC

I personally love Billy Idol... Loved the early stuff through "Cyberpunk"... Massive part of my teen years... And loved his appearance in "The Wedding Singer"...

scobb likes this.
  19. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Beyoncé miming at the Super Bowl? Mark Ronson pretend dj? Not interested. There's an author/comedian in the UK, Ben Elton, who said many years ago "If you don't like the culture, don't buy it". Has kinda become my mantra these days!

DrBeatle and Olompali like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Well, that's exactly why I didn't watch the Superbowl.

21. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I think next year should be Tom Waits. That would be the funniest half time show of all time.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  22. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

The finale could be Tom warbling (!) I Don't Wanna Grow Up with holograms of deceased Forum favourites forming a kickline behind him. This I would stand in line for.

D.D.

mindblanking likes this.
  23. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

The Superbowl halftime show is about popular music, entertainment and money, not an oldies act.

DrBeatle and Man at C&A like this.
  24. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Remove the words "halftime show" and you're more accurate...the game has been secondary to the spectacle for a long time now, and as a sports nut, that makes me sad.

Khamakhazee likes this.
  25. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

They should just have "Beyonce & Friends" for the foreseeable future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.