Carnivale

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by averica, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

been aware of this show forever and it always looked interesting and i recently saw both seasons on dvd pretty cheap and snapped them up.any fans?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Strange show. Actor Nick Stahl, former star of the show, has had some very bad times over the last 10 years.

3. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I watched it on dvd. Really good show. It ended up being canceled early and the last (second) season was a full on rush to wrap things up and it feels that way. Other than that, enjoy.

4. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

One of the best HBO series. Have the lovely dvd box sets on display (meaning facing forward) and for viewing have the HD downloads since HBO hasn’t released this on BluRay yet and maybe never will.

Clea DuVall was outstanding, but really everyone in the cast was excellent.

5. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I enjoyed it but the ending was one of the worst. Another case of the producers waiting for a possible renewal and then when it's not cobbling together something that is not satisfying.

GentleSenator likes this.
  6. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

On a side note ..where I bought them from had a buy 2 get 1 free so i also picked up season one of Heroes ,which I've never seen ..

7. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Yeah. Bad enough to kill him.

8. will_b_free

He’s not dead.

9. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I’ve been watching this on Amazon Prime Video and find it to be a high-quality series. All the dust and grime amid a desert-like atmosphere sets a fitting backdrop for the desperation and brutality of what seems to be the end-times. I haven’t seen the ending yet but it’s too bad that it wasn’t properly concluded, from what’s been said.

unclefred likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Nick Stahl is alive, off crack, and had a bit of a comeback and is doing better with his life these days.

agentalbert and Scope J like this.
  11. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

I could swear I heard he was, like 10 years ago.

12. will_b_free

Helpful/not-helpful: You may be thinking of Edward Furlong. Who also is not dead. ;)

carrick doone likes this.
  13. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

This was from back in the day when it seemed like HBO was THE station for cutting edge original shows. I would try to watch all of their new series. I remember enjoying the first season of this, but it lost me somewhere along the way.

14. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Nope.

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I really liked the first season. I could not get through the second.

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Loved it, amazing period
    detail!, they really should
    have gotten a third season!

unclefred and agentalbert like this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

why? please be specific... :p

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

If I recall correctly (it's been sometime since I've seen it) there was a reduction in the cast which I wasn't fond of. Secondly, the story just kind of lost all its air for me. I just quit caring.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i remember reading that the creator of the show honestly thought he'd be able to run it for six seasons, with 3x2-season arcs. this show had everything i like but it did seem to flame out on talent and budget. and the lead was always an odd choice to me.

GodShifter likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

By lead do you mean Nick Stahl or Clancy Brown or both?

21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

stahl, definitely. clancy was quite enjoyable to me. he has a special brand of overacting that worked really well in this.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really liked the series. I watched it when it first aired, and then again several years later. On the initial viewing I got frustrated during the second season similar to the way I found the so-called "mythology" episodes of X-Files frustrating. The convoluted Scudder storyline just didn't grab me and I wish it had been doled out in smaller amounts over a longer period of time. What I really liked about the show were the characters of the carnival and would have liked to see more of them just moving around the country and getting into different troubles. I wanted more of Ruthie and her snake act. More of Rita Sue and Libby dancing "the cooch". More of Lila (the bearded lady) before they made her just a gadfly scold after the death of Lodz. More of Jonesy and the dynamics between the different people in the carnivale. Watching it the second time through I got a little more out of the apocalyptic story (the preacher brother Justin was great), but I still got much more enjoyment out of things like the Jonesy-Rita Sue-Stumpy triangle.

I thought Cynthia Ettinger was fantastic in that show. And you don't get to see women like that in legitimate sexy roles very often. I'm also a big fan of Carla Gallo, though she is usually known for her appearances in comedies. Some of the language from the show stuck with me and makes me laugh whenever I think of it. I remember Felix "Stumpy" describing Rita Sue to Jonesy as a "high-steppin' woman". And later one of the young grunt workers Osgood looking at Rita Sue and then commenting to Jonesy that she was bult like a "brick bean oven" or something like that.

Show never came out on blu-ray, which is too bad. I'd buy it and would love to see modern interviews with the cast reflecting on the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.