Carpenters - Horizon. Any love for this album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I've always considered this their final great album. It was a huge #1 hit here in the UK, but was the start of their downturn in the States peaking at #13.

At 34 minutes, it's quite short but did manage a couple of big hits. Please Mr Postman and Only Yesterday were top 5 and Solitaire did reasonably well too. Probably not a smash in the UK as Andy Williams had had a top 10 hit with the song in 1974.

Their version of Desperado was the first version I heard of the song. It's still the best, IMO. My mum loved their take on the standard, I Can Dream Can't I? It was her favourite Karen vocal.

Add to that excellent deep cuts like Happy, I'm Caught Between Goodbye And I Love You and Love Me For What I Am, and you have a really solid album. I certainly think Karen never sang better than on this album.

What do you think of it?

tages, Wata, blaken123 and 13 others like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the Carpenters better album covers too. Not as cringey as some of the others.:D

Who couldn't love the 'envelope' sleeve?

Wata, alexpop, CrazyCatz and 3 others like this.
  3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

My favorite Carpenters album. It also includes my favorite Carpenters song.

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I see it like yer mum and love the Modernaires impression with the back up vocals, she sounds like a different person.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I love everything by Carpenters. Everyone should own multiple copies of Horizon. :) "Only Yesterday" is a favorite of mine.

Jrr, Scottb, andy75 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Only Yesterday is a fantastic production. Karen's vocal is a thing of dreams. Not to mention the superb backing vocals and the way the song builds.

GoodKitty, Dodoz, John Adam and 7 others like this.
  7. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I haven´t heard the album...To be honest, I have only come across compilations of their music. In other words, I can´t comment on the album itself, but only on the hist I have heard. "Only Yesterday" sounds great, but "Please Mr. Postman" is one of those songs that does´t really suit them. Their version is too soft for my taste - where´s the desperation?

BUT - hearing Karen sing "Solitaire" awakens my goosebumps. I think it´s the best version of the song out there, and I think it´s even better than Neil´s own version. (And I do like Neil Sedaka.) This is a perfect example of what Karen Carpenter could do with a great song. I am so glad this song was recorded.

Seeing "Desperado" on the track list whets my appetite... I prefer Linda Ronstadt´s version, but I´ll seek out this version and give it a spin.

frightwigwam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

The U.K. Record Mirror review from the album's release. It's not a rave.:D

9. Bobby Morrow

Try I'm Caught Between Goodbye And I Love You as well.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Amazing record! My favourite Carpenters album! "A Song For You" & "A Kind Of Hush" are high up on my list aswell!

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. KeithH

Thanks for that. I also enjoyed the Bee Gees review. "By and large, those weird, agonised vocals..." :D

12. Bobby Morrow

A good week for albums. Note the Abba one too.:)

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. KeithH

Yup. Saw that. It's fun to read reviews from when old albums were new. I try to then remember, "What did I think of it back then?". I was a tot in the '70s, so I thought nothing of the albums in question at the time. :)

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

15. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

16. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Excellent album from beginning to end. Their last great one.

John Adam, Jrr and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

"Solitaire" is my favorite Karen vocal! I listen to it frequently. I didn't care for their version of "Mr. Postman..." thought it was cheesy and unnecessary.

18. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I probably only like the singles comp and A Song For You better. One of my favorites.

Denim Chicken and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Jennifer Tomkins

Jennifer Tomkins Well-Known Member

The people who state this is the last great Carpenters album have no clue about their catalog. :doh: They released two Christmas albums after "Horizons" that completely blow away most every one of their non-seasonal releases. And I won't even get into the merits of later non-seasonal albums, where some of those also fall in the "great" category.

It's almost impossible for an album not to be labeled as great when you have Karen Carpenter singing on it and Richard Carpenter producing it.

20. Hitwise, I'd have to agree that "Horizon" may have been their latest, greatest album. Although lacking the big hits, "Made In America" was pretty darn good and especially showcased some of Karen's best vocal efforts.

Jrr, jamiesjamies and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Excellent album and Karen has never sounded better. I love this album from start to finish and the sound quality is stunning as well.

Jrr, anduandi and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Excellent album!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Jennifer Tomkins

Jennifer Tomkins Well-Known Member

That's a very limited qualification if you determine greatest of an album based on the success of singles. That means Jimi Hendrix never made a great album. If you go by sales, their "Christmas Portrait" album three years later has far outsold "Horizon".

The direction of popular radio changed in the mid-70's and Adult Contemporary acts like the Carpenters would never have the same singles success as they did in years past. But that does not represent a lack of greatness when it comes to their later albums.

Why can't people simply state "Horizon" is a great album and explain why, instead of degrading later releases by stating it is their last great album. :confused:

CrazyCatz likes this.
  24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Although it doesn't contain my favorite song ("I Need To Be In Love"), Horizon is my favorite Carpenters album. With the exception of "Desperado" (a great performance but I don't like the song itself), I like all of the other songs on this album. For me, "Love Me For What I Am" is the outstanding track on the album, but each song is great and I still even give "Desperado" a listen every so often due to Karen's performance.

The slow building of "Only Yesterday," the big-band sound of "I Can Dream, Can't I," and the upbeat feel of "Happy" all contribute to make Horizon a great album and to me it is the pinnacle of the Carpenters. Although they released many great songs on other albums, I don't think any other of their albums contains a many good/great songs as Horizon does.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

A very good album. Love the ethereal pieces that open and close the album.

Jrr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.