Carpenters House demolition?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chip TRG, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member Thread Starter

Maybe some of you Californias might have been hearing more, but I've been reading various internet chatter about the possible demolition of the former house of Richard and Karen which appeared on the NOW & THEN LP cover.

Anyone know what's going on?

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well you know, they gotta tear something down to build something else.

After all...they're Carpenters. :hide:

3. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

wakka wakka.

4. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

:laugh:

Seriously though that's modern day progress whether we like it or not.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That was their real house on the cover? I didn't know that.

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes it was their real house

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That's the house where Karen died.

I sure hope it's just a rumour. I have a friend who lives about 10 min. from there, and I often drive by the house when I'm in the area just to get that nice, squishy feeling. :D

8. BradOlson

I'd rather have it on the historical landmarks list instead of it being torn down, and operated as a museum.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What is the address if you know off hand?

10. BradOlson

I have wrote to Richard asking if this rumor is true.

11. Richard could go buy it if he wanted to. I'm sure he's got the money.

12. BradOlson

9828 Newville Ave. in Downey, CA is the address.

13. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Next thing you know...someone will tear down Big Pink...

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thanks. I'll get some pictures to share before the "wrecking crew" arrive. :) :cry:

15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

16. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Rainy Days and Mondays and Demolitions
    Monday, October 1, 2007, by jwilliams

Bad news for fans of 70's easy listening superstars The Carpenters. The Lotta Living forum reports that the Downey home of the sister-brother team may soon fall to the wrecking ball - or whatever they use for single family homes. Via poster Chrisgreen, the sad state of affairs is revealed:

"Many people equate Downey with the Carpenters. Their music continues to sell hundreds of thousands of units each year, and come holiday time, is an annual radio staple...

According to information sent to me by Downey City Councilmember Kirk Cartozian, an application for demolition has been received for the "addition" to the property at 9828 Newville Avenue. (The house consists of two connected structures--the "addition" and the main house.) According to a reliable source, another application will be filed to demolish the main house sometime after the addition is torn down.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2007/10/rainy_days_and.php

The Carpenters - The Family Home in Downey
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gZ9u3PsGOwY

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I can't fathom why anyone would want to demolish the house. It is a very long house with a partial second story that is far more appealing than today's current trend of big box homes. Besides that, it has historical value!

Here is what the property looks like nowadays:

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Pointe/7561/Newville.html

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

yes, but if you read the link previously posted, it is smelly like mildew and not kept up at all. A total mess.

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8268

This is my favorite Carpenters album, so I think I will take a drive over and have a look at the house in person very soon.

19. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

Silly, they didn't record in the house.

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Well, I think that is where they recorded their demos though.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, just used the house for the graphic of their best album. Kind of like CSN used a porch on their first one, of the Doors used Morrison Hotel as the cover.

I'm not sure The Doors ever played at the Hard Rock Cafe next door to the Morrison Hotel, and I am sure they never recorded there, silly.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You know that Big Pink was sold a in the past few years? It was on the market for not much money--somewhere around $200K as I recall. Anyone could have purchased it...

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If they tear down the Carpenters house...will Richard re-build it with "just a few little tweaks"...?

24. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

25. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

I grew up just blocks away from "The Carpenters house" during the late 70's (I lived in Downey from '77 to '84, when I went off to college).

We used to drive by there, as many of us were big Carpenters fans, being from Downey and all. Our high school even dedicated a stage-like monument to Karen, when she passed away.

BUT I don't remember the house looking like the one in the pictures. I remember that they had an advanced (at the time) security system, including CC cameras in their front yard. But then again, my memory is not that great.

Perhaps, it is like other things -- things that you remember as big and grand in the past were, in fact, much smaller and more "normal".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.