Carpenters "Singles 1969-1973" - best sounding version on cd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by anduandi, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member Thread Starter

What do you guys think is the best redbook version of "The Singles 69-73" comp sonically ?
    I have one from 1991, digitally remastered by Richard Carpenter. The catalogue nr. is identical to the one from the classic remasters series (393601-2) but the latter is not available in Germany.
    Achim

2. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The best version is the one with the original mix of Yesterday Once More.

I have the same one as you, with a 1991 copyright, and it has the remix (probably from 1985). The problem is, Richard Carpenter has denied that he remastered that album in 1991.

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Here read this:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=46769&page=2&highlight=carpenters+singles

In a nutshell the remastered CD has been speed corrected BUT some pressings have the 1985 remix of YOM. So pick your poison. If you already have that song somewhere else like I have you may be OK geting the better sounding remastered version.

The Bernie Grundman remasters sound wonderful- very natural and analogue sounding.

The remastered Singles is actually kinda rare.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

If you can find it: Get the Remastered Classics of this with the Original Mix of "Yesterday Once More" This issue has better sound and is speed corrected. Some Remastered Classics pressings of "The Singles 1969-1973" have the remixed "Yesterday Once More". The original CD is also excellent and more available. It sounds more like original vinyl.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I have two copies of the the Remastered Classics Singles 1969-1973 and they both have all original mixes for every song.

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

My BMG version has the YOM remix. Weird huh?

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

I have a BMG disc of this with the original mix of "Yesterday Once More" Apparently, from a second CD master.

8. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I just compared two versions of "The Singles 1969-1973", and it confirms what was already known.

Exhibit #1: A&M 393601-2, "Digitally re-mastered by Richard Carpenter, November 1991
    Exhibit #2: A&M UICY-3249, Made In Japan, "Remastered Classics"

#1 has the 1985 remix of Yesterday Once More, #2 has the original single mix.
    On #2, the medley consisting of tracks 4,5 and 6 is shifted a fraction of a tone downwards in pitch.
    Both seem to have th exact same mixes (and segues) except for YOM.
    I did notice a slightly different effect at the intro to track 1: On #2, Karen's voice seems to shift from stereo to mono after the first word "Why". This effect is not there on #1.
    The overall volume on #2 is a bit higher, but there is no visible clipping.
    #2 is a bit fuller sounding, #1 has a bit more top end (I'd describe it as thinner).
    Hiss is about the same.

Resumee: The Remastered Classics CD is the one to get. All original mixes, and some of them are the unqiue single mixes.

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

This one is 1998, right?

10. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

Dagnabit, and I was about to buy the SACD version -- how does this compare to any of these?

11. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Yes.

12. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

OK, I'll bite: where does one find this rare bird? Amazon lists a remaster with a release date of January 12, 1999; no mention of "Remastered Classics". Is this it?

LATER. Never mind. Found it at CD Universe for $29.04 shipped. Ouch!

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Most likely.

14. RZangpo2

I didn't trust it. The label and catalog no. were given as A&M#393601 and there was no mention of it's being an import. Better safe than sorry!

15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The Japanese version with the UICY number is likely a limited edition, so grab it while you can.

In answer to the SACD question, these are two totally different animals. This old SINGLES 1969-1973 mimics an old 1974 LP and was a perennial Carpenters bestselling album. In the CD age, it's had several masterings, one with a speeded up medley, one with a remix of "Yesterday Once More" and a corrected mastering with the medley at the proper speed and the original single mix of "Yesterday Once More". That's what this thread is about. (Thanks Andreas for your thorough information!)

The SACD is a re-done version of an updated album called SINGLES 1969-1981 (note the change in dates!). This disc features total remixes by Richard Carpenter on both the 5.1 Surround layer and the redbook stereo layer.

Two totally different albums.

Harry

16. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

Thanks, I missed that.

That said, "Yesterday Once More" is on both albums -- which version is on the SACD? What's the name of the medley ("Goodbye to Love"?), and if it's on the SACD, which version is it, sped up or otherwise? Are there other tracks which are speed-incorrect? Which versions are they on the SACD?

And what about...Naomi?

17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Again, these are two totally different albums. The SACD is an updated version with different tracks in a different order, so the "medley" doesn't apply. On the old version, three tracks were segued together to form a medley, "Superstar", "Rainy Days And Mondays" and "Goodbye To Love". Though those songs appear in the same order on the SACD, they're not segued together in any way.

All songs on the SACD are remixes - none are original mixes.

Harry

18. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I went through this about a year ago and eventually found the 'Remastered Classics' version UICY - 3249 from HMV Japan, couldn't find a US or European copy anywhere - but definitely the one to get.

19. RZangpo2

Yep, that's the one I ordered -- at a premium price! (Why don't we just call it the "juicy" version?)

20. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

A few years ago, I found a used copy of the "Remastered Classics" edition of "69-73" and it is a US BMG/RCA music club edition. Compared to the original CD issue, it sounds as if it was processed through one of those "tube warmer" plug-ins with a some noticeable compression added.

Also of note, I found the "Remastered Classics" edition of the Carpenters "Interpretations" CD - from Europe with 21 tracks as opposed to the US version with 16.

21. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

How was the compression noticeable? The Japanese CD does sound warmer than my old German CD, but I am not sure about compression...I attributed it to different eq.

22. RZangpo2

So you would recommend the original 1986 release?

23. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

24. RZangpo2

Andreas,

Thanks for posting the clips. I downloaded and compared the lossless versions. The main difference I noticed was EQ. The 1991 version has a very boosted top end. Just listen to the level of tape hiss compared to the 1998. It's also easy to hear the top-end boost on the vocals (especially sibilants) and cymbals.

By comparison, the 1998 has less top end. I couldn't tell whether or not it was compressed relative to the 1991. I'm listening at work, on headphones (Sennheiser 580). Maybe a comparison on my home system would reveal more.

Now we need someone to post a clip of the original 1986 release!

Ron

25. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Yeah, the difference in the top end is very obvious. Now, motownboy claimed that this sound is created by a "tube warmer plug-in with a some noticeable compression added". Is this possible?

And please listen to the clips and add your comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.