Carrie Fisher suffers heart attack on plane, dies at age 60*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Just because we live in a time that you're able to live to 100 doesn't mean everyone wants to. Perhaps Carrie didn't want to. It's not like she was ignorant about drugs and her appetite for them.

Grand_Ennui and vince like this.
  2. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

But you do? hmmm?

Not always. I can attest to a few people that have tried addictive drugs for the fun of it, not to mask some suffering. To think there is only one road to addiction is just nonsense.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I never said I did, and I don't. But, I have lots of close family, former girlfriends, and some friends who are, or were hip-deep into hard drugs. I think I have some insight to why people do drugs. That, and some studying. I am not, and will not ever make morality judgements over anyone who gets hooked. All I do know for sure is that the first thing is to get the user off the substance (that starts with the user's willingness to cease usage) then deal with the root cause. There is always a root cause.

Again, do not put words in my mouth. I never said there was one reason, but pain, whether it be physical or emotional, are big causes. And, I would hazard a guess that one of the myriad of reasons one starts is because they want to hide whatever it is they are going through, even under the guise of "fun".

Many people have this need to blame the victim so it all fits into their worldview.

Most people who use know exactly what drugs can do to them. They either think they can handle it, or they ignore it. The immediate benefit outweighs the risk.

4. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Applies to alcohol and smoking too. Also addictive drugs.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They were likely acquired in London. She'd have connections in LA, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to score dope in a foreign city.

Musicians and they crews have an established network of connections in most places, but that may not be available to someone promoting a film project before flying home.

6. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I don't know why it matters, but for the record, she spent a lot of time in London filming The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi and would no doubt have sources over there.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

Dealers never get caught, even when they have blood on their hands and shouldn't be THAT hard to find.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Treated sleep apnea can kill you too. And do we know she wasn't properly treating it? She might have already had surgery for it, for example...

Doing drugs isn't likely to help, but how much of this was the drugs and how much of it was the apnea we'll never really know. It's entirely possible she coulda died even if she were completely clean and sober (and let's remember, the prescription drug she was on can wreck your physical health as well).

In fact, since apnea makes you feel like soop, that could have been part of what drove her drug use. I certainly turned to caffeine to combat mine, until my stomach couldn't take coffee or tea anymore. I don't make enough to afford cocaine... :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If you were drinking coffee to "treat" your sleep apnea then you weren't properly treating it either.

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Are you suggesting...
    her newly created influx of cash, got her back on the 'booger-sugar'?

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

With all that Star Wars money coming in, she was never exactly broke. :laugh: People will do anything to excuse others' bad behavior and decisions, it seems.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

You mean Untreated, right? Was she diagnosed, did she use a CPAP machine or similar? I presume she would be travelling in first class and was a star, so arrangements could be made to use one if necessary, however London to LA is a day flight, it's going the other way where sleep is necessary.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, she could have used a CPAP machine on the plane without any special arrangements (they're approved for use on airplanes) so she really didn't have an excuse for not using one if she knew she was going to be sleeping on the flight. It makes me think she probably wasn't using one at home either.

14. SoundAdvice

She was making silly money at comic expos around the globe for at least 5 years. Make more than I make in a year, in one day.

15. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I know it may sound silly, but I would guess that a famous celebrity might balk at using a CPAP machine on a flight where they are visible to the public. They may fear that it would generate all sorts of rumors and false reports. ("She needs bottled oxygen to survive.") People might also pull out their cell phones and take photos. As someone whose health had already been the subject of rumors and gossip in the past, she likely wouldn't want to fuel that fire.

She also may not have planned on sleeping on the flight, but dozed off anyway.

There are likely so many factors involved in her passing that we'll never know exactly what the main cause was. It was likely an overall mixture of drug use, sleep apnea, diet, genetics, and other contributing causes, such as the long flight.

sunspot42 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I wasn't "treating" it dude, I was combating it, as I said in my post. A symptom of sleep apnea is being really tired - caffeine can counteract that. Another symptom is just generally feeling like soop. Drugs can definitely help with that...

She didn't need a new influx to afford coke - I'm sure she was worth millions before The Force Awakens rolled along.

If you have sleep apnea and it's bad enough, you can doze off anytime you're sitting around, day or night. But she might not have used a CPAP because they don't work for everyone (I rip the mask off in my sleep and throw it - literally hurl it - across the room). I also don't entirely think they're as effective as they're hyped to be, because folks on CPAP machines gain a ton of weight. That's a side effect which indicates to me the machines are probably disrupting sleep, resulting in your appetite hormones not properly resetting overnight.

That's likely exactly what happened. Flying also congests you, and that wreaks havoc with my sinuses and leads to horrific episodes of sleep apnea.

17. SoundAdvice

There's some grey area, but isn't photography illegal on planes? Not sure any tabloid would carry a photo where the law is clearly broken. The United incident being a weird exception.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

According to CelebrityNetWorth, Carrie Fisher had $25 million at the time she died, plus she was living in a fairly lavish estate in Beverly Hills. I don't think she's been hurting for money to the point where she was doing a lot of conventions for the cash. She made a pretty good living as a script doctor for decades.

19. SoundAdvice

She could do $100,000+ in one weekend in one city. Repeat that over 5 years and it adds up.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Look, here's how it works.

You've got a long, boring 10-hour plane ride ahead of you, so you pop three Xanax and plan to crash the entire trip... I've done this before; I slept through a 11-hour plane ride not waking once. It was great. Get on... get off.

Only you're 60, tired, and burned out from partying, so your heart finally gives out and it's lights out. I can think of worse ways to go, quite frankly.

sunspot42, AarHan3 and Vidiot like this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Someone should have told her she was not in her 20's anymore...

AarHan3 likes this.
  22. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

Comeback. Being typecast as Leia isn't really a comeback. More like a desperate move. She must've needed the drug money

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It got her more money and attention than she had gotten in years- arguably since Return Of The Jedi. It was probably too much for her to handle.

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm saving the drug abuse 'till I'm older and decrepit. Then who gives a damn.

Doubt that - she'd already had a lifetime of it. She didn't seem particularly stressed, but she probably was running herself down a bit with all the travel.

She probably just got bored in London and did a toot for the hell of it. Certainly didn't help her health, but there's no way of knowing if it killed her. A bad incident of sleep apnea alone could have been responsible - people die from it every day. And I'd imagine her long history of drug abuse and prescription drug use would have been as much of a factor as a recent bit of not-so-legal drug use.

25. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

$100,000? Seriously, that's impossible. :laughup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.