Cart Upgrade Suggestions from Ortofon and Dynavector

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Who is Bob? :)

2. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Owner.

He randomly ended up in my boat this year.

I didn't think of it at the time, but we probably should have tried fishing a Serendipity that day!

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, it sounds great! Although I am looking at a discounted version of the older model- the non-star MIMC. should sound close (hopefully).

4. avanti1960

i might have to flip a coin!

5. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Surprised no love here for ZYX!!

The R100 model is highly recommended. I believe there are two versions; 0.24mV and 0.48mV output voltages.

I have the 0.48mV as well as ZYX UNIverse and it competes head-to-head with the UNIverse at a 1/4 of the cost.

Micro ridge diamond and is an excellent tracker.

6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

It really does. Outstanding in fact.

Been throwing some really complex **** at it, today and it hasn't done anything short of impress me.

7. avanti1960

The older model Zephyr MIMC is all sold out. It was going for $1200. I saw a deal for the new MIMC star and am ready to pull the trigger. Great review on Analog Planet and a personal recommendation from an industry insider.
    Keep us posted on its progress.

8. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

ART 9
    [​IMG]

HiFi Guy and Seafinch like this.
  9. avanti1960

reading great things about it. please share your experiences- past carts- and why you like it!

HiFi Guy likes this.
  10. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

HiFi Guy likes this.
  11. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Let's see. The aliveness of this is hard to explain, at least with my limited vocabulary. It's balanced, ballsy and bloom all wrapped together. In Other Words, not clinical. It's got it all, delicacy, depth & detail. This reproduces music with ease and gives me goosebumps every time. We have 4 tables up and running. AT OC9II, Shure V15/SAS - Modded SC35C - 91ED, Grados w8mz's. The ART9 does it all. Classical, Blues, vocals. And I can't forget the modded 103r.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

13. Seafinch

Not to make things harder on you, Avanti, but I just denuded my Quintet Black and it's now on a whole new level! All the talk of new cartridges in this thread made me remember that I might not be getting everything out of my current one. I had been meaning to try this and it's way cheaper (free) than buying something new.

It seems like the plastic body was adding some resonance. With that removed the bass is significantly tighter and the mids are SO clear now, no mud, but everything still sounds really sweet. Now i'm going to have to find something else to tweak :)

14. avanti1960

Was it as easy as removing one screw like this one-

you didn't make it any harder- it's already impossible to pick one!

Johnny Vinyl and Seafinch like this.
  15. Seafinch

You remove that one screw and then find a couple of long cartridge screws. Then screw both screws in until you bottom out. Carefully screw down both screws evenly and they will push the body off. If you've done this evenly, the body now is loose and you can slide it off the cantilever. If you go really slowly it's pretty impossible to screw up.

Between doing that and a fresh alignment I'm super happy with it.

Johnny Vinyl and avanti1960 like this.
  16. avanti1960

17. Seafinch

So...? You decide yet?

18. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Congrats you are happy with the CADENZA BLACK. Once you move up the price there are a lot of choices. I would like to add the SUMIKO line. From The Blackbird to the Palos Santos you get excellent carts for your cash. I also love the japanese KOETSO Rosewood line. Of course you can spend a fortune on their to carts, like LYRA, too.

19. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Quite. Great review. It certainly didn't hurt in me deciding on the (same) Benz Micro, which in retrospect they sum-up really well.

20. avanti1960

No. This is the most difficult audio decision I have ever struggled with. I almost ordered the Soundsmith MIMC Star. Either that one or the Audio Technica ART9.

21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Still loving mine...amazing upgrade for me. Didn't think I'd be this happy considering the cost.
    I'm already getting worried about wth I am going to do when I need a re-tip!

22. avanti1960

I just might. This video made me put my finger on the trigger. You can hear how fast and micro dynamic the cartridge is, which is an upgrade goal.
    But that doggone ART9 has incredible user reviews and was winner of three awards in Japan the year after it was introduced.

23. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

The MIMC Star is made in 'Merica! Peekskill, NY.

And, it really is nothing short of revelatory.
    I could go on and on about the damned thing... All of it complimentary. And I am really trying to be more critical than enthusiastic as I break it in.

24. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

25. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Dynavector 17D3. I will never buy another cart as long as it is available. Flattest frequency response, best tracking, no noise, no coloration (@ 200 ohms). But, if you like hearing gear with character, this ain't for you. It's the most "invisible" cart I've heard. If a particular record has rolled-off bass or highs (most) you'll hear it compared when to a the cd. If it's a record with a full-on audiophile-type mastering, I've heard no better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.