Cartel Land (Documentary)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scotian, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed Thread Starter

I watched this last night. Very interesting. Unfortunately, it's hard to discuss this thoroughly without getting political. I wonder if it is possible for this to work without the corruption that turns people into the monsters they are fighting. A fascinating, if ultimately depressing documentary.

2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I saw this movie at the theater. There are two chapters: Mexican side of border, and U.S. side of border. The stuff going on behind the Mexican side of the border was fascinating. The stuff going on on the U.S. side of the border bored me to tears. Seriously, I thought half the movie was great, but the other half just didn't compare to it.

3. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed Thread Starter

Yeah, I didn't quite get the comparison between the two groups unless it was to give it more appeal to an American audience. The Mexico parts were worth the watch though. Not a feel-good movie since I had a strong feeling of hopelessness by the end it.

townsend likes this.
  4. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

I saw this film last week and it is really powerful.

As I watched it, I started thinking it was a fake documentary. So many of the shots seemed unbelievable in the access they had. I thought it was staged (capture of the gang leader, the torture room, etc) I actually had to stop the film and make sure it was real, by checking the internet. I was kind of amazed it was real. The story line even seemed too fantastic. But I guess it just proves 'truth is stranger than fiction" and the power of good editing.

I read some reviews and no one else had that reaction (fake) to it and based on the comments here, I was really off on my reaction.

A very fascinating film and I am surprised it is not more well known.

5. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Sounds much better than the profitable cable franchises Border Wars, Narco Wars, Parking Wars, Cupcake Wars, Marijuana Wars... you get my drift.:shrug:

6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I saw this months ago and agree that it's pretty hardcore! I disagree about the 'American' segments being boring. If that part of the story was left out, I know I couldn't have ever imagined the reality of the situation. I mean, I'd just assume, like I did until I saw the movie, that our government was still (ineptly) dealing with it. The fact that there's active American vigilantes out there amazes me, talk about the wild, wild west! I'll admit that in the absence of a true government military presence, I found myself rooting for them! I've always felt that before one soldier ever gets sent to fight a war overseas, that our military should be put to use on a literal war on drugs at the border! Leaving the problem to be dealt with by the pitifully undermanned and out-gunned local, state authorities never made sense to me.

7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.