Cartridge alignment, etc.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wags, Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I would recommend two items at the very minimum to get started: a Shure stylus-force gauge ($20-$25 or so), and a test record like the Hi-Fi News & Record Review Test Record (not sure of the current cost). My copy of that record came with a two-point alignment protractor that seemed to work well for me when I was getting started (I've since bought a Turntable Basics mirrored one that I like better). That test record also has bands that are very helpful in setting antiskating.

You can check places like Audio Advisor, Needle Doctor and Music Direct (among others) for these items.

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Looks like Music Direct currently lists that test record for $39.99.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Most any cart you buy these days comes with the protractor. :agree: That's minimal. At the very least, allignmnent is important.

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

5. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

definitely download the free protractor, it's all you really need to align the cartridge. buy the shure gauge for $20 if you want to verify the tracking force.

6. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

While I'll let the more experienced vinylphiles answer the tweaking questions, I will say that the grooves on the test record are indeed locked. Which, as you noticed, causes the needle to get "stuck" at the end of each band. Don't worry, it's supposed to happen that way. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.