Cartridge Alignment - The Technics way SL1200 SL1210

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, Feb 18, 2020.

1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

Something has been bugging me for an absolute age now about my setup, specifically my cartridge playing out a bit too one sided (left channel) and the right not really getting a look in.

I initially suspected it to be the anti-skate, I ended up dialling it back to to about 0.5, even though traditional thought is that it should match the downforce/stylus pressure. This seem to work for a while, but introduced skipping at times from the groove.

I've recently bought another replacement stylus for my Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge, so took the opportunity to re-review everything again when I swapped it out.

I've always used the Technics version of the Baerwald Arc Protractor I download a number of years ago from Vinyl Engine. Using the replacement stylus and making sure every lined up, I was ready to play, but the same wonky channel balance remained.

I went back to Vinyl Engine to check for any other updates or different ways, and found a PDF copy of the Technics SL1200 MKII manual. I have some really excellent condition Technics decks, bought from the same seller, but they didn't come with a manual.

What I found in the manual changed everything for me, so I am posting here if it helps anyone else.

To recap, before I was setting a downforce of 2.0g exactly, a anti skate of about 0.5 or just above, and the arm height set to around 0 (zero), as from looking at it, it looked about level, as-per the norm.

Disregarding using a protractor template, the manual states that you mount the cartridge visibly straight, but with a distance of 52mm the tip of the stylus to the back of the headshell plug.

Also the manual states actual arm height settings for cartridge bodies of a certain height. As the VM540ML cartridge is 17.3mm in height, I have set the tonearm height to around 2.3

The downforce is set the same at 2.0g, and the anti skate at 2 also.

This has fixed all my issues, and it sounds wonderful again and a great balanced stereo image.

Of course the aforementioned Baerwald Arc Protractor doesn't match up at all, but I don't care.

I've been kicking myself I didn't check for a copy of the Technics manual before. Its obvious to me now that Technics would know how to set up everything for their own arm!

Worthy of note, there are various different SL1200 decks, always worth checking out Vinyl Engine for a copy of the exact manual for your model, assuming you don't have a copy, as there may be minor differences through the model revisions.

I'm posting the information here, if it helps anyone else out.

(I also have one of those "Overhang Gauges", but really you can just lie it on its side and carefully use a ruler to measure out that 52mm. The official part number is SFK0135-1)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. englishbob

3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I've always used the little plastic thingy until recently - I bought a Dr feickert protractor - and now use that on both tables. Much different alignment - so far so good. I never had an issue with the Technics provided one though.

4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Yes, i set one up for someone.
    Absolutely bonkers.
    When setting with Baerwaldt
    Protractor, was ok.
    When setting as per instructions
    It worked superbly.
    Checking again with the afore mentioned
    Protractor seemed way off the mark
    Compared to what i am used to.
    Buy as you found it works fine.

englishbob likes this.
  5. englishbob

6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I compared the manual you shared with the one for my SL-1210 MK5 and there is quite a bit of difference between the two charts for tonearm height.

englishbob likes this.
  7. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Different models came with different plater mat thicknesses.

8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I was wondering about the reason for this. Thanks!

Bassy Bavaria and 33na3rd like this.
  9. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

O/P
    Good job on your discovery!

matrix-6 and englishbob like this.
  10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, the Technics jig alignment sounds fine to me, and it’s much easier than hunching over the turntable with a protractor. I do verify on a protractor I printed from somewhere (it’s a protractor that matches the Technics jig geometry, not Baerwald), and it’s always been dead-on.

Clonesteak likes this.
  11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

The Feickert doesn't match up at all - cart has to come out a few mm for the overhang setup (step 1) - I was surprised - but it sounds really good - I'm using Stevenson at the moment.

12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, the Technics overhang geometry is unique, and I am curious about the origins of that. I could see Stevenson working out, since, as I understand it, the Technics geometry is sort of Stevenson with a different overhang. OP’s experience with channel imbalance and the varying VTF/anti-skate results, all working out with things set just as Technics specifies, has me wondering if it could be the case that Technics just has this all worked out perfectly to perform optimally with their own tonearm.

I am a little curious to experiment with other alignments, but not that curious because I have no complaints.

rebellovw likes this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Technics is almost exactly Stevenson alignment with DIN inner groove radius (57.5mm) if 215mm is used for the pivot to spindle distance, but the Feickert uses the IEC value of 60.3 mm for the inner groove radius, which will increase the overhang by about 0.8mm. To be off by a few mm seems odd, unless the pivot to spndle is not really 215mm... below showing Stevenson DIN alignment from another recent thread on similar topic...

[​IMG]

Big Blue likes this.
  14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Maybe I'm off - not sure - here goes - not the best pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gauge on scale shows 215mm

[​IMG]

Davey likes this.
  15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Here is another shot - that shows how far off it is:

[​IMG]

Thanks!

avanti1960 and englishbob like this.
  16. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I've been using the Technics gauge ever since I got back into records seriously with my 1200MkII in 2008. I've never tried anything else because I've never experienced any of the things folks tend to attribute to improper alignment like IGD, sibilance, mistracking. etc.

I don't really know if I'm missing anything.

17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

When all else fails, read the manual. Part of the brilliance of the Technics design is their simple alignment method for the cartridge. I set mine up in about 15 minutes (1210GR with VM95ML) with zero issues.

Warbs, Bassy Bavaria, timind and 4 others like this.
  18. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It really does a great job - and I've never been unhappy with its use. I'm only now using the new crazy protractor as I've gone all propeller hat via new protractor, digital gauge, microscope, particle accelerator etc.

Bassy Bavaria and luckybaer like this.
  19. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Yea, like I said, seems odd, but I wasn't doubting you :)

So I guess you cut an extra slot in the Technics gauge to use it with the Sumiko, doesn't it have two pins? Presumably it fits flush in the gauge in the back, same as with a Technics headshell, looks like it from the photos.

rebellovw likes this.
  20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yeah - I had to add another slot for the Sumiko - fits perfectly flush. It sounds pretty awesome - so I'll go with it.

Thanks!

21. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Same headshell here and I cut another slot as well. Kind of threw me at first.

rebellovw likes this.
  22. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

I always use a gauge if it's specified in the owners manual for any TT I set up. I would think the TT manufacture would know best how to set up the table, after all they designed it.
    Hint: Keep an eye out for one of these Denon overhang gauges. It's marked at 50mm and has several 1mm graduations on either side of the 50mm mark. Very handy for a lot of TT. They go for stupid money on ebay!

[​IMG]

BillWojo

Hendertuckie and Mmmark like this.
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

As a hobby you should try what ever alignment options are out there and determine for yourself any benefits.

Big Blue likes this.
  24. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

I set mine up according to the manual as well and never had a problem. It makes it so much easier.

englishbob likes this.
  25. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

I use the gauge. There is NO way Technics wouldn't have spent quite a bit of time determining the optimum alignment for their tables and arms, and the fact that they took the guesswork out and manufactured a gauge is pretty compelling evidence that any other method is unlikely to be an improvement. It's easy, foolproof, and sounds great.
    As far as tracking force, I was blown away at how 'off' my table was. According to the dial, I was tracking at 1.9 g VTF. According to a calibrated digital scale, I was at 0.74 g. Not even kidding. I bought a scale for $11 on Amazon and haven't looked back.
    Anti-skate I set using the inner run-out groove method as the indicator on the table is all but useless.

Warbs, Dignan2000, englishbob and 2 others like this.