Cartridge Azimuth - Is It Worth The Hassle?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by colby2415, Jun 7, 2017.

1. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Yes, it's definitely important, but I personally prefer not to do it myself, because it could drives me to a nervous breakdown. Thankfully, I have a very good close friend, who actually enjoy doing it, and is happy to do it for me when needed. Otherwise I enjoy to play with all others turntable/cart adjustments, but accurate azimuth adjustment is something beyond my psychological tolerance, so if there's no one willing and capable to help, I would prefer to let it at any random position.

2. rtrt

rtrt Well-Known Member

I wonder about steel in close proximity to a cartridge?

Having said that are all arms made of non steel materials - not sure about that either?!

3. Wuther

Wuther Prog Rock Explorer

I have just finished aligning my cart with shibata stylus. The only problem I had was not a channel imbalance but sound clarity issue. The sound was not good enough to my ears in terms of good details and transparency. As soon as I checked the azimuth I realized that the deviation from vertical line was in about 2 degrees to the left. I fixed the problem by loosening a bit the right screw and applying a little more force to the left screw. As soon as fixed it the sound was improved drastically!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    patient_ot likes this.
  4. mkane

mkane Musics a Passion

Kyle Mooney likes this.
  5. Wuther

6. mkane

mkane Musics a Passion

Once you get the hang of it, yes. Takes 15 minutes max.

7. Wuther

When you have a voltmeter and built a box, yes.

8. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

9. mkane

mkane Musics a Passion

a box isn't absolutely necessary

10. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Active Member

That's the method I use also - and like you, I can get it done in 15 minutes. I think it's worth the effort.

11. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

Since stereo cartridges have channel imbalance how do compensate for this to achieve the best azimuth setting?

12. Davey

Davey very clever with maracas

Azimuth is adjusted to reduce channel crosstalk and phase difference, not balance.

13. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

One can also take a mono lp leave the preamp in stereo. Wire one channel out of phase and twist headshell or arm tube for the least output at the speakers or headphones.

14. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Channel balance need to be adjusted for by a balance control, very seldom present on RIAA amps. For azimuth you need to have both symmetry in phase and level, and this within very small adjustments. A stylus azimuth should not deviate more than 1-2° to compensate for the coil azimuth.