Cartridge Conundrum... which cart on which turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by chromium, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chromium

chromium The power of the riff compels me. Thread Starter

Could use some cartridge advice/help/opinion etc..
    I have a couple of vintage turntables littered around the house which I all serviced, spent more time on some more than others.
    The two turntables I use the most are a Technics SL-1500 with an AT 440MLb cartridge and a Thorens TD 166 Mk1 with a AT 95E cartridge.
    The Technics is my daily driver, gets about 10 hours of play per week on average, the Thorens about 10 hours per month.
    Now, I spent about 20 hours getting the Thorens back to life, both technically and cosmetically. It sat in an attic for 25 years and it showed.

Now I'm very happy with the AT 440MLb, it's sometimes a bit bright for my taste, but my Marantz amp compensates for that. It runs rings around the AT 95E, so I'm looking to get a better cart for my Thorens so I'm inclined to use it more. My AT 440MLb is at about 500 hours, so nearing half-life. My first instinct was to mount to the AT 440MLb on the Thorens where, even if I started to use it more, would easilly last another 2-3 years and get a new AT 440MLb for the Technics. But seeing they are fazed out, prices have skyrocketed over here and the cheapest one I can get is about $220.

So I've wasted half a day on the internet and am entertaining alternatives. I've basically narrowed it down to either getting a new Denon DL 110 or a Nagaoka MP 110. The cheapest I can get a Denon is $275, the Nagaoka is less than half at $135.

My Thorens TD 166 MK1 has the original TP11 tonearm, bit heavy (12.5 g I believe) so I'm not sure if the Nagaoka is the perfect cart. On the other hand the price difference is substantial.

I'm also not against putting my AT 440MLb on the Thorens and installing a new Nagaoka MP 110 on the Technics.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

My data suggests 16.5 g effective mass
    The MK 2 was. 7.5. g effective mass
    So the MK 1 would be aimed at MC
    Or robust mm.
    The MK 2 on the other hand is more suited to medium/ high mm cartridges.
    I find the Thorens and moving magnet
    To exceed the sum if the parts.

3. chromium

chromium The power of the riff compels me. Thread Starter

interesting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.