Cartridge for my VPI Prime

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by roboss38, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm taking the plunge back into vinyl, so I ordered the Prime with a Ortofon 2M Black but I'm waffling on the cartridge decision. I'm considering a switch to a Soundsmith Zephyr MKII or Aida. I will be be using a Lounge Audio MKIII as my phono pre-amp to start. I would be interested to hear peoples opinion on the three cartridges, and how the Soundsmith cartridges work with the 3D arm. Info or opinions on any other MM would be welcome as well. Thanks.

2. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

The 2M Black is good when used with pristine LPs, but with non-pristine LPs it'll reveal every pop and click with maximum clarity. Haven't used any of the others. I use a Dynavector 17D3 on my Prime.

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Soundsmith carts sound great, but do require careful setup, particularly with regard to the balance of VTF and anti-skate, otherwise you can have sibilance issues. If you're up to the task then go for it. I do find that Dynavector arts are more forgiving and are a great match for VPI arms.

John K.

4. chipcarter

chipcarter Member

I have vpi Classic 3 with the original (non-3D) tone arm. I started with the 2M Black, which has great resolution, sound, etc. I recently switched to a Zephyr (Mark I) because I found a good price on it. The Zephyr has all of the 2M Black's good characteristics plus improves upon it in various ways (which I haven't bothered to quantify or articulate) and it has ****far**** less surface noise.

For context, I'd say 95% of my records were purchased brand new, not used, and I clean with a KL Audio ultrasonic cleaner. I still found found the 2M Black to present too much surface noise for my taste. Don't get me wrong: it wasn't overwhelming, and I enjoyed the 2M Black. It was just significantly too many clicks and pops for my taste (I have a relatively low tolerance for that, I guess). Whereas the Zephyr basically presents no surface noise in my setup, while still sounding both detailed and lush.

5. roboss38

Thanks for the replies. I heard the surface noise issue with 2M Black on Friday, and that is what concerns me. 2M Black is a great cartridge but not very forgiving.

6. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

I agree with other the other statements here re the 2m Black and surface noise. That said, the information retrieval is very good. Lots of high-end detail.

I still have the 2M, but moved to a Grado Statement Master. It's still in the breakin period, but the surface noise is reduced. So far I like it very much, and am not missing the 2M.

Those Soundsmith cartridges look very nice.

7. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Audio Technica ATOC9-ML/II

8. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I have a zypher origanlly on my classic but the upgrade to the dyna xx2 which was a day and night difference. Given the same price the dyna is a no brainer.

9. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

I have the Grado Statement Reference. The surface noise is almost non existent.
    Certainly a cartridge worth considering.

10. roboss38

Are you using the xx2MKII or 20x2? My phono pre works with cartridges that have an output between 2-6mV.

conjotter likes this.
  11. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

If you don't plan on getting a step up then the high output version would be awesome of the 20xl and if you get a different/ better phono stage it will just sound better

I have the former.

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I've been running a 2m black on a Classic for about 6 months and I think it is tremendous. I don't feel that surface noise is an issue for me. Like most people, I keep my records very clean and I don't keep many records that are less than VG+. If I am pushing the volume there is a little noise in the lead in groove but nothing that you can hear in the music. There is certainly a penalty for playing a dirty record with a 2m black but isn't that the case with all quality carts? It would seem to make sense that a cart that would tolerate imperfections would also not pick up as much detail from the recording.

I think the Dynavector, Sound Smith and other MC's are clearly better but I do like how the stylus can be replaced on the 2m. Making all the adjustments to instill a new cart on the VPI arm isn't particularly easy or fun.

13. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

After lots of research I went with the Dynavector 20x2-low based on a recommendation from VPI. It's a great cartridge. When it's time for a change I'll upgrade to the XX2.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  14. roboss38

I have decided to go with the Dynavector 20x2-high. I need the 2.8mV output to use with my Lounge Audio LCR MKIII.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. Dragonwell

Dragonwell Forum Resident

I finally recently received my VPI Prime (!) and matched it with a Dynavector 20x2M (1.0 mV output) and Project Tube Box DS. I've been quite happy with the combo. The adjustable VTA on the Prime really enables you to dial in the cartridge. I think the Dynavector is a great choice.

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.