Cartridge for Rega Planar 3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jasoon, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasoon

Jasoon Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I am looking for a new cartridge for the following setup:
    Denon PMA-350SE Amp
    TDL RTL2 speakers
    cheapo phono stage - hums w/ power supply - doesn't hum with 9v battery powering it.
    Rega Planar 3 from circa 1990 with RB303 arm and Linn K9 (yellow) cartridge.

I bought all the above used from various people, the Planar 3 came with the K9, and although it sounds very nice to my ears - I have no idea of the condition or previous hours on the K9.

I am looking to purchase a new cartridge for upto GBP150, EUR175
    I've looking at the following:
    Denon DL-110
    Sumiko Pearl
    Nagaoka Mp110
    Ortofon 2m Blue

I listen to a variety of music, Michael Jackson, Radio Head, Queen, Mazzy Star, They Might Be Giants...

Someday I will look at getting a decent phono stage...but for now I'd like focus on a decent cartridge.

Also, I'd prefer an easily installed cartridge, ie not to have to get spacers or not be able to close the lid when playing a record - I have 2 cats that would love to pounce on a turning record.

Would the Linn K9 have involved using any spacers or involve any major changes to have been done?

thanks.
    Jason

2. Jasoon

Any advice please?

3. EmmEff

EmmEff Well-Known Member

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Jasoon

Thanks, I've been reading your thread, it's been useful. I thought perhaps as it was a different table that the advice might be different - as well my budget is a bit less than yours if I remember correctly.

5. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

What is the "cheapo phono stage" you mention? Different phono stages present different loads to a phono cartridge, so it would be useful to know what your one is in order to offer advice, though my first thought would be to use the £150 budget and get a decent phono stage (assuming your present one isn't) and a new cartridge. It can definitely be done for the money.

6. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

Goldring 1022 or 1042. But do yourself a favour and invest in a good phono preamp.

shutdown66 likes this.
  7. Aristotalloss

Aristotalloss Forum Resident

Denon DL 110. Try amd find a used Creek OBH-8 SE phono preamp.
    Game, set and match :cool:

Shak Cohen likes this.
  8. Aristotalloss

Aristotalloss Forum Resident

By the way, you can stick an AT 95 stylus in the K9 cart, if you do like the sound of it.

9. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

I've contributed to the other thread mentioned, on my Rega 3 with rb300 arm (circa 1980's) I've just gone from 2m Blue to dl110 and very happy with it.

Cambridge Audio (got mine from Richer Sounds, not sure if you have them in Ireland) do some relatively cheap phono amps - mine was £50 in an end of line sale when they renamed the range but I think it's around £70 now.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  10. Jasoon

Its one of these little gems! Its been awhile since I've looked into buying a phono preamp, but I was interested in Music Fidelity's V90-LPS.
    Can you tell me more about loads? Or is there a good article somewhere explaining it?

Specifications:

Power supply: 9Vdc, 100mA
    Battery (optional): 9Vdc (1x PP3)
    Equalization: RIAA correction
    Frequency response: 30Hz - 20kHz
    Gain: 34dB
    Input impedance: 50k ohms
    Output impedance: 50k ohms
    Dimensions: 30 x 70 x 90mm
    Weight: 250g
    [​IMG]

11. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I'd go for theDenon DL-110, I have the discontinued Denon DL-160 which is very similar to it and its sound is great with any kind of music and for the price. When my DL-160 passes I'll definetely go for the DL-110.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I'm partial to the MP110 on my P3.

dbsea and CCrider92 like this.
  13. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Elys II on my Rega P2. Was close to try Denon, never heard bad about them.

14. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Project Phono Box
    Goldring Elan

I don't think it's worthwhile to upgrade to a Denon cartridge unless you spend more on your preamp. So the above should set you back 150 euro, whereas the excellent Denon/Creek combo mentioned above will be about 300.
    Also if you do that, you'll probably want better speakers than your TDL, Mission usually pairs well with Denon. :righton:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Jasoon

Thanks for all the replies/advice.

I now have an increased budget and plan to replace the cheapo phono pre-amp as well as the cartridge with one of the one's listed above.

What would you get?:
    Hageman Bugle2
    Creek obh-8 or,
    Creek obh-8se

I imagine the SE would be the choice of the two Creeks, but what about compared to the bugle2?

Also, would any of the above cartridges mount the the RB303 arm without need of spacers or other mods? As I said before, currently there is a yellow Lin K9 mounted to it, would it have needed any modifications?

Basically I'm looking for a cartridge where I can still close the lid while playing a record (due to cats), without the need for spacers or any other messing around, aside from standard adjustments.

thanks

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

AT440 MLa or b - the 'b' I think replaced the MLa a couple of years ago. Sublime cartridge for the money.

Donniej, Liquid Len and shadowlord like this.
  17. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Another vote for the Denon DL-110.

18. Jasoon

Hageman Bugle2 or Creek obh-8se?

19. I love my Sumiko Pearl, it sounds better than any of my previous and far more expensive carts. I cant praise it enough. No IGD and no horrible sibilance.

20. ClarkFan

ClarkFan New Member

You should be able to tell if there are any spacers in use by looking at the interface between the arm and plinth. The spacers will be at the bottom of the arm base. If tere are none, you may want to consider Rega cartridges. They have a little tendency to hum, but usually not bad. The Elys II would be the normal match, but the Exact II is very nice, if somewhat expensive. If there are spacers already in place, the world opens up - except for Grados. If you are having hum problems, they will get worse with a Grado.

21. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The Rega Elys 2 fits the budget, fits the tonearm, and has a strong output that would be good for the relatively low gain of the phono stage.

22. Jasoon

I've decided to get a Hagerman phono amp. Most likely a Bugle 3 (MM), but maybe a Piccolo2 (MC).

My budget for a cartidge is around 300euro. I'm not sure there are any worthy MC cartridges in the 300 euro range. I'm most likely never going to be spending much more than 300euro for a cartridge, so if the only worthwhile MC cart is say 400 or 500 euro, than I'll forget about MC and get the Bugle3.

In that case, I'm open for suggestions given the higher budget and Bugle3 pre-amp. The next thing to upgrade in my system, down the road, would most likely be the speakers...

Thanks for your input.
    jason

23. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Have you already ruled out the Rega Ania (MC)?

24. Jasoon

Its a ways above my budget.

25. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Sorry was looking at rebuild prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.