Cartridge recommendation for the working class?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EmmEff, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Or go in between what you have and the black with the bronze.

I have one - love it. Can be had for a tad more than you're thinking of spending.

Gavinyl and EmmEff like this.
  2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Factor in stylus life.
    1000 hours is general figure.
    I personally believe 400 - 500
    Expensive cartridges £300 - 500
    Every 18 months.
    Expensive does not mean better.

3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

4. I agree with this point of view. I use a cartridge i really like and its very cheap. To my ears it outperforms everything else that i have tried up to 500 pounds

Thorensman and Licorice pizza like this.
  5. PIEP

PIEP Well-Known Member

With m = 8,5 g ( Pro-Ject Audio Systems arm mass) and M97XE compliance = 25 (µm/mn),
    you get : 8,2 Hz resonance freq ( optimal = 7 ÷ 12 Hz ) and so is :righton: ; btw M97XE is good with
    bright old rock record and his brush is helpful, not only to tame resonance
    or to drop the first groove, but for static and warped LP too ...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I could put cheap tires on my car and sacrifice performance or I could put on expensive tires knowing I'm getting the best I can out of it.

Both tires and cartridges are consumables.

7. Its not just a question of price, i have had expensive carts and "cheap" carts. I have often been left wanting by expensive ones. My current cart; about the cheapest i have ever owned always leaves me smiling. Often its a matter of taste IMO

sami and macster like this.
  8. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

For Rock- Shure M97xE as others have suggested.

9. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I like the SUMIKO sonics. Sadly the prices for the models I would suggest were set up 100 bucks. That means, that even the BLUE POINT 2 is above 300 and my cart the EVO III costs twice as much-I got them thanks to a very low pound vs Euro for less than half the price. This system sounds great with Rock, Reggae and Classic. Just beautiful. The BLACK would be with in your price limit. Another good brand is BENZ - The GOLD should be a nice alternative. Finally DENON classic 103-SA ! I had ORTOFON carts for decades-trust me you find other carts with a different tone. It is a personal thing, which sonic fits best to your taste.
    Look around for a shop, that got a bunch of different carts pre-mounted, so you can compare them before you buy ...

husafreak likes this.
  10. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Denon DL-110 is a no-brainer purchase, AFAIC. Is it the best cart available for less than $250? Answer- yes. It is.

Bill Why Man, Gumboo and EmmEff like this.
  11. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

For a bit of context, I've actually auditioned a few of the high-rollers that have been mentioned in this thread. Some basic thoughts-

M97XE- very boring sound signature and has trouble tracking inner grooves
    AT440MLB- tracks extremely well, but is way too bright.
    Nagaoka MP-11- tracks OK, but is rather thin-sounding
    Dl-110- tracks perfectly & has a very pleasant sound signature as well

Bill Why Man and bru87tr like this.
  12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

......but I'm not the only one it would seem. I call it the ¨dead¨cart.

Kristofa, EmmEff and misterclean like this.
  13. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Excellent, hard to pass up at that price especially since you can also upgrade to the 440 on that cart and it's got a head shell

Licorice pizza and patient_ot like this.
  14. PIEP

PIEP Well-Known Member

M97XE- very boring sound signature ... please, can you develope, elaborate boring , or it is a slogan , a clichè ?

15. EmmEff

Interesting... I sometimes see these (Sumiko and Benz) carts listed on used turntables for sale, but you're the first to actually mention them in this thread.

The Denon 103 is not compliant with my tonearm unless I add some weight (which I could possibly do), but is it going to be noticeably better than the DL-110?

16. EmmEff

Unfortunately, ships in 1 to 2 months... I wouldn't count on that ever being available :(

17. i am a great fan of sumiko; superb value IMO

husafreak and EmmEff like this.
  18. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

It's available from other sellers , turntable labs has it for 69$ and change

19. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

For the last 18 months i have used a Shure V15 MK3
    With a Thakker stylus
    VTF is increased to
    1.75 but i really like the sound quality.
    I have used costly MC,S but prefer
    This cartridge.

Warm detailed with excellent bass.
    VERY good tracker.
    I would be very interested to know how the M97XE compares. It's not so high
    End as the V15 MK3 but as theThakker
    Costs £29 or thereabouts , the 97
    Has the more expensive stylus.
    And its a genuine Shure.
    I may mount a 97 into a spare headshell
    To compare.
    I cannot speak for the other cartridges
    But these Shures are very musical.

20. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I'm currently using a Nagaoka MP-110 on my Rega RP-1, and I couldn't be happier. When I need to replace the stylus, I'm going to upgrade to an Jn-p200 elliptical stylus, which will work just fine on my MP-110 cart, but the standard cart and stylus combination sounds great, tracks great (it does really well on inner grooves), and picks up less noise than most I've heard. In short, I think it does everything you could ask of a budget cartridge. And it goes for well under $150 in the US.

I have not heard the MP-150, also recommended above, but I would expect good things.

CCrider92 and EmmEff like this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

People that don't like that cart, and don't like other Shure carts find them too "warm", with not enough top end detail. If set up wrong, or used on the wrong system a cart like that may sound "boring" and put you to sleep with the rolled off treble.

22. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I love the Shure M97XE - as far as budget carts go - and it's a great match with my ol' Dual CS5000. No complaints at all with that setup.

Maybe on a different table I wouldn't be so happy. I never bothered installing the M97XE on the VPI Aries I once owned.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  23. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Same experience on my P1.

24. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I am a Shure fan, and the m97xe is a really solid cart for the money. They have had some QC issues with the styli in the recent past, though. I managed to get two replacements with weak cantilevers and gave up for the time being. However, there are some (albeit more expensive) alternatives which I've had better luck with. I've been impressed with this one:

LP Gear N97xVL ViVid Line replacement for Shure N97xE stylus »

The price on this stylus has been fluctuating wildly lately. I got one for about 80 bucks (IIRC) maybe five months ago, then it went up to 150+, now is back down again.

25. Mikeybc

Mikeybc Listener

When I was researching cartridges a while back I was 1 click away from buying a Denon DL-301-MK2 and their only a hair above your budget at 329. Supposedly warmer than the 2M Bronze I ended up with. I may end up with one yet though I am really liking my Bronze.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.