Cartridge recommendation for the working class?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EmmEff, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

which could you expand upon....I am in dire need for my rega, and the nagoata is the list. I almost bought a 150 mlx then it disappeared and got sidetracked. Now its looking like there are some dyna 10/5 around. Honestly i am really spun.

2. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I sell nagaoka styli and you can indeed put a 200 on the 110.
    The mp300 and mp500 also both share the same cartridge, just different styli, ie. interchangeable as well :)

But the mp30 and mp50 cartridges had different generators......
    Anyway, good luck! Love Nagaoka's myself :)

dbsea likes this.
  3. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Resident

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Shure M35x is in my arsenal as a frequent spinner. I use it on my broadcast tonearms as an option, I have Shure M 75 EJ handy when I want a bit more refined, and another great discontinued Workhorse which for me is one of the most musical Shure MM classics ever made. I like it a lot, very good tracking, low distortion, musical and detailed.

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Load the M97xE correctly, and it is very musical. And has the right sonics. Load it to taste, you'd like it better. That load setting depends on your system and your musical tastes. If you can't do that, get a M35x which is a lot less finicky, and you can use the N97xE stylus in that body, quite a few people like this combination better as it is closer to the old Classic Shure MM sound of yore.

macster likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Quoted for truth. The best HOMC option for many users, myself included. I loved this cartridge. And back then fine value for the money.

7. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Sure. I have an RP1 that came with an Ortofon OM5. I bought a Nagaoka MP110 to replace the Ortofon. It was pretty easy to mount; the front edge of the cartridge lined up almost perfectly with the front edge of the headshell when I got it aligned. I really like the sound -- balanced, but on the warm side, nice mids and bass. Tracks really well, minimal inner groove distortion, and it doesn't pick up much surface noise. I eventually bought a JN-P200 stylus (elliptical)-- they're interchangeable -- and I haven't used it much yet, but it does improve the sound, mostly smoother highs. BTW, I've modified the RP1 with a Groovetracer subplatter, acrylic platter, and counterweight. I don't know that the money wouldn't have been better spent on upgrading to an RP3, but I had fun modding this one, and the improvements to the sound are substantial.

8. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

My experience with a shure v15 4 is that it was missing a ton of highs and mids. Female vocals were horrible. Never had an m97xe and don't think I ever will. Plus it has a bonded diamond and its made in Mexico. No thanks. That is not touching my vinyl.
    However I did own a nagaoka mp20 at one point and that it was really well made and sounded good. No real complaints. I understand they make all the components for the cartridge in house. Which is rare now.
    Dl110 is ok too but you have to get it at low cost. Not worth the high prices we see sometimes.

Cyclone Ranger and The Pinhead like this.
  9. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

Bought the hana sh, its very musical in its first hour.

Pythonman and bajaed like this.
  10. Michael Young

Michael Young New Member

AT 150SA...beat my Ortofom Bronze hands down

11. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

Wow, thats a ortofon killer statement. So the new vm750 would probably match the black, i almost did the 150 but i said self .. lets do something new

Michael Young likes this.
  12. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Grado Gold on the right arm sounds pretty darn good. Around 100 bucks when I last bought one, but prolly higher now I'm guessing.

13. macster

macster Forum Resident

You'd love it even more. I'm using one on mine and it is simply wonderful. Another thing, I think that they have improved something in their manufacturing or QC process. I recently replaced the stylus on mine and it sounds a lot different from my original in that it has that "Shure" V15 ish sound right off the bat.

M~

14. macster

macster Forum Resident

I just order that from LP gear, and I can't wait to hear how it compares with the rest of the M97 styli that I have.

M~

15. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Hmm. Sounds like I should try another stock stylus again!

16. macster

macster Forum Resident

It's worth a shot, and pay attention to the anitskate. One twist from neutral worked for me. BTW, I also have the VPI headshell weight on this armtube.

M~

17. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I was thinking of doing that. Question, though - are the bodies the same, or 150's is a bit better, in which case maybe buying the 150 cartridge plus AT7V stylus is preferred? (case in point - 2M Bronze vs 2M Blue, the Bronze has different entrails, even if the styli are interchangeable).

18. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

No personal experience with 97, but, from my own research, I read that the stock stylus is only so-so, gets no more than 4 stars, consistently. Apparently, though, you can buy an upgraded stylus, LPgear sell a few different grades, top one being about $116. The best option, again, only per reviews I've read, would be Jico SAS stylus - $267 with sapphire cantilever, with which the cartridge is purported to shine.

LP Gear N97xVL ViVid Line replacement for Shure N97xE stylus

N97xE neoSAS/S, JICO stylus | Online Shopping for Japanese Phonograph Needles

19. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Always get confused about cartridges and what works with what. Ive a Thorens TD160 with standard arm and a goldring elektra cart. Would the Shure M97XE be much of an upgrade and would it even fit with the Thorens arm?

20. Personally, I just can't see spending that kind of money on an aftermarket replacement stylus. Taking into consideration that there are inherent problems with the records themselves due to mastering, cutting the lacquers, plating the lacquers and pressing the records, I just can't see blowing a lot more money on a replacement stylus. The cartridge was designed to work with the stylus it came with and definitely a different brand of stylus will sound different, but it may operate outside of the parameters the cartridge was designed for. My equipment, and most importantly my ears, don't warrant the added expense. To each his own.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. macster

macster Forum Resident

Briefly, I use the different styli for different purposes. As the occasion or need arises I switch out the various styli. I have both a V15V and a M97XE mounted on different arm-tubes along with the various styli. Each of them have a unique sonic signature and some differences are more pronounced than others. What this does is allow me to focus more on the music that is on a record and less on it on the condition that it's in. But this is my own personal experience from owning and using them in my system.

M~

bluemooze likes this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

For me that's a big part of the fun of turntables; swapping cartridges/styli. :)

macster likes this.
  23. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

i did the sub, the white belt, ttpsu and hana cart and the dealer said its close to the rp8 with a modest cart. Im pretty happy but now i need that counter weight cause i cant close the cover. How do you feel about what you got out of that weight, even though i dont think I have a choice. counter weight and I can close the cover or no weight no cover. ugghh.

24. I might add that taking a great everyman's cartridge and changing to another stylus which costs up to several times the cost of the original cartridge/stylus combo more or less takes it out of the working class realm, don't you think? In my personal experience, I've found that the original stylus allows the cartridge to operate within it's intended range much more than an aftermarket replacement stylus.

25. macster

macster Forum Resident

That's the rub, who determines the "intended range?" IMHO, I do, and it is determined my needs and wants. For example people tell me all the time "that you have a really expensive turntable but why you are using such a cheap cartridge on it?" I just smile and go back to listening to the music and enjoying myself.

M~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.