Cartridge Recommendations for Marantz 6300 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Embracetheday, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking for cartridge recommendations for my Marantz 6300. I am careful to not ask for the "best" because I am on a budget. I would prefer to keep it under $100. I'm sure the "best" is far beyond that.

I currently have the AT95E and don't have any complaints about it. It just got damaged by accident. :( So I'm wondering if there is anything different/better in a similar price range. Any help is appreciated!

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

AT just revamped their line. However, if you can still get an AT100E or even better, 120E at that price point, that's where I'd head. Fair amount of choices at the $100 cart range that would work with your TT. A lot is going to come down to taste.

Embracetheday likes this.
  3. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool Forum Resident

Ortofon 2M Red is around $100 and you can upgrade the stylus to a Blue when you want to upgrade.

4. Embracetheday

Thanks I appreciate the info. This may be a dumb question, but is it possible to put the AT100E stylus on the AT95E cartridge?

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not a dumb question. Simple answer is no, the body styles are different.

6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

In the same price range as the AT95E, I'd probably be interested in the Shure M35X.

7. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

I worked on a friends Marantz 6100 table a few years ago. I put my cart ( an Acutex ) and that turntable had a much darker sound than my Technics. I suggested the AT95E, but I mounted his new Grado Black and I thought is was dull sounding. If your 6300 is anything like that 6100, I'd stick with a brighter sound cartridge. Too bad LP Gear raised the price on the vivid line stylus for the AT95E

8. Embracetheday

So is that AT95E considered a pretty respectable brighter cartridge?

9. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Since I'm in a similar-ish predicament and I don't see much use in cluttering up the board with another topic, any suggestions on what I should do with the Pioneer PL-115D I just bought online? It's still on the way so I haven't tested it yet, but it has a Grado F3+ mounted. I have roughly up to $200 to spend, and I've read that upgrading the stylus on the F3+ to the 8MZ would be the way to go for a sound upgrade while keeping that cartridge (assuming it'll need a new stylus).

My main concerns are that I want the least amount of sibilance possible and a warm, musical tone. Not too interested in unforgivingly clinical or bright carts. I've never had a Grado before but I've heard they aren't the best trackers. I will suppose I'll have to hear it before I go ahead and drop the money, but in any case suggestions would be welcome.

10. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

Imho, It's definitely a giant budget killer. I have it mounted on a Linn Sondek with an Ittok LVII arm and it really sings. The only issue I have with it is slight tracking issues on the inner grooves of some records but most of the time it's superb. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade to one of those fancy tips.

If you like the current sound, you might wanna try fitting one of those replacement styli. This one is probably slightly above budget but it would supercharge your current experience

LP Gear ATN95VL stylus

11. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

I have not heard that cart, but I have an AT 5013E with a new ATS13 stylus. That elliptical sounds good, not too bright and not dull . I think a line contact stylus shape will sound brighter.

12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Must......not.......must........not.........

13. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

It is considered a very respectable cartridge, period, and a little surprising in a good way for its price. As noted above, it performs well, for its price, on higher end turntables too.
    In the case of your 6300, that needs, basically, a cart that runs to higher not lower tracking force. The AT95E is a good match - good cart, with a good tracking force range for that turntable. I suspect or hope you have been using a VTF of 2 grams or even 2.5 with that cart and turntable. A higher end stylus, even if it fits the cart body, would be designed for a lighter VTF, which is not good with that turntable. It would be the same for a higher end cart.
    A-T is revamping its line of carts but they have not replaced the AT95E, it is still current so far. (First introduced 2003, and still current, because it is good and still good.)
    So, especially since you have "no complaints" with it, my best honest suggestion and recommendation is to get a replacement genuine AT95E stylus.
    You weren't exactly clear whether the stylus or the cartridge was damaged. If it was the cart, I suggest getting a new AT95E cart and stylus.

Embracetheday and Rick Bartlett like this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

i give a green light to the AT95E, can't go wrong for that budget really. But like 'Johno' said, make sure the stylus is a genuine AT.
    a lot of fakes out there for a lot cheaper, make sure it's got the AT logo on it. :righton:

Embracetheday and JohnO like this.
  15. Embracetheday

Thanks for all the good info here. I did end up going ahead and getting the AT95E again. While the stylus was the only thing damaged, not the cartridge, I still went ahead and the whole new cartridge. It was only a few dollars more than the stylus at the sale price on Amazon Prime.

Thanks again for the feedback!

JohnO and Rick Bartlett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.