Cartridge scraping records? AT-LP120 + M97xE

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fraga, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraga

Fraga Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey guys!
    Out of nowhere I am getting a strange error on my Audio Technica LP120 (my needle is a Shure M97xE). Today when I got home and went to listen to some of my really old Beatles records I heard this strange, scraping sound when I dropped the cartridge on the record. I thought it was very odd so immediately I decided to try with another record, this time a mint remaster. The problem persisted.

It's hard to put it into words, but i will try:

Looking directly at the stylus when I drop it, it is as though it bends horizontally, like it can't take the force of the "impact" with the record anymore. Like, the stylus is supposed to stay in this angle more or less: "\", right? But it bends upwards and stays like "_". This in turn makes the cartridge touch the record, making this awful noise.

(If someone does not understand what I described just tell me and I will film it)

What I can't understand is that nothing happened between Sunday, when I played records perfectly, and today...

So guys... I ask you all: what happened?

MrMarty likes this.
  2. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

The M97Xe has a brush attached to the cartridge, correct? Do you play vinyl with the brush up? Down? Could it have become dislodged somehow, misaligned? Just thinking outloud, so to speak....

MrMarty and Thorensman like this.
  3. Check the tracking force. Also check to see if there is a gravity anomaly nearby that is pulling the tone arm down. :)

The FRiNgE, tin ears and NaturalD like this.
  4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

What you describe is a cartridge with a collapsed suspension.
    I always have a spare stylus.
    In a case like this i would fit new stylus
    And see how if fares
    Back to the problem in hand
    Is the arm a static balanced arm.
    The normal tye with tracking force adjusted by moving counterweight forward to increase vtf?
    Is there any automation in the arm?
    I assume that you have checked vtf and other settings?

MrMarty, The FRiNgE, EmmEff and 3 others like this.
  5. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Second that.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  6. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Sounds like a collapsed suspension to me. What did you have your tracking force set to?

7. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

Third that from above statements (collapsed suspension).

The FRiNgE likes this.
  8. Fraga

Tracking force was set to 1.5 since I got the turntable/cartridge, less than 2 years ago.

So, does this mean the cartridge is ruined? No turning back now? If yes, that's a shame. It's been less than 2 years and I'd say I only played a few hundred hours with this needle. *Sigh* Don' think I'll be buying this needle again

9. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

You keep using the term "drop the needle"
    Maybe you are "dropping" it way too hard.
    It should be placed fairly delicately on to the record surface.
    Dropping the needle with definitely compromise the suspension.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  10. Fraga

It's just the term I use (English is not my first language). I am completely careful when dropping it, especially since I don't live in the USA, and getting another cartridge or turntable would be insanely expensive. That's why I'm extra worried I might have to get another stylus

MrMarty likes this.
  11. I've got 100's of hours on my main M97xe and have used it on various turntables, including a couple of AT-LP120's. Never had a problem. Double check your tone arm balance and tracking force. This cartridge is happiest at 1g(brush up) and 1.5g(brush down). At 2g the cantilever should start flattening out. If the cantilever is at the normal angle when it is not in contact with the record, reduce the tracking force and see what happens.

12. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Another vote for a suspension issue. Time to replace the stylus.

13. Fraga

reduced the TF. still the same problem...

14. Looks like the stylus got damaged. I damaged one of mine a couple or so years ago. I learned not to wear loose long sleeves .

15. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I place my tonearm on the runin groove now and press start. I'd already ruined two stylii previously by mistakingly dropping it and having it slide to the mat instead.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  16. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

According to Shure's specs you can run it up to 2.0 grams with the brush down. 1.75 grams with the brush is optimal and 1.25 grams is optimal with the brush up. I don't think 2.0 grams with the brush down would collapse the cantilever, but possibly while running it with the brush up at that tracking force. Mine runs 1.75 grams with brush down. I would just buy a new stylus at lp gear for about $60 bucks.

17. Fraga

So what could have caused this problem? I just don't get it, I was listening to vinyl 2 days before and it was all good... Tracking force was always OK, I'm extra careful and the cartridge still had a long way to go before needing a swap...

18. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I can't really answer that. It could have just been a manufacturer's defect with that particular cartridge. I just installed the same cartridge about a month ago and I run it at 1.75 grams with the brush down. Possibly yours had a high tracking force for a bit and the suspension collapsed? It can happen. I haven't heard many talking about the suspension collapsing often with this cartridge, but your best bet would be to just get a replacement stylus.

19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yep; if no one else has access to the table and he is sure that he didn't damage it himself, then it sounds like it was just a cartridge defect. It happens.
    -Bill

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  20. Fraga

when you guys say "get a replacement stylus" you just mean change the needle, or the whole cartridge? i got an at95e which came with my at-lp 120, might try it out...

MrMarty likes this.
  21. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

You stated in your first post that you have a Shure m97xe cartridge. That is a moving magnet cartridge that allows you to purchase a replacement stylus which just slides out and back in (see the Shure m97xe manual). This is the norm for most if not all moving magnet cartridges. OR...you could just remove the entire cartridge and either A)put in a new cartridge or B)purchase a new shure m97xe and install that. Again, I would either just replace the stylus or get a different cartridge. The cartridge is referring to the body of the actual cartridge, and the replacement stylus is the cantilever and diamond tip at the end of the cantilever.

22. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

What is your tracking force currently set at?

23. Fraga

24. Fraga

UPDATE:
    since decent needles don't come cheap where I live, I decided to go ahead and swap my M97xE with the stock AT95E that came with my turntable.

I am now kind of paranoid with the angle my needle should be when playing records. I took some pictures of my AT95E in action. What do you guys think? Is it looking ok? Or is the cartridge too close of the record?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thank you all for your answers!

25. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Looks to me like thats exactly where it should be.

If you can post a head on pic of your cart and headshell, maybe we can see if the azimuth is off?

[​IMG]

AmericanHIFI likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.