Cartridge suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rich121, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Been out of the loop for quite a few years due to some 'life' events, with system in storage.

I have been able to pull my system from storage, and last year worked enough overtime to upgrade or purchase new equipment, but I have not upgraded my turntable/tonearm/cartridge yet.

My turntable is a Technics SL1000 MKII which for those not familiar, is the Technics SP10 MKII turntable mounted on a factory plinth.
    I have two Technics B-500 bases with an 'E' armwand and 'H' armwand that I don't use.
    The tonearm I do use is a Fidelity Research FR64, so I need a low compliance cartridge.
    The cartridge I used last is a vintage Fidelity Research FR-1 MK3 F, which needs to be re-tipped, and I will do so once I get a replacement.

The rest of the system includes:

Zesto 1.2 Andros tube phono stage
    Zesto 1.5 tube preamp
    Quicksilver V4 tube amps (new KT150 version)
    Green Mountain Audio Continuum 3 speakers
    JL Audio 113 Fathom subwoofers (pair)

Curious what cartridges other high mass tonearm owners are using, especially those who use Fidelity Research FR64/66 tonearms.

Looking for cartridges under $2000 USD at most.. probably should spend half that.

I have over 20K records, so I am very anxious to get this back into service.

Really curious about suggestions and thanks in advance.

2. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

3. rich121

Thank you for your suggestion, but I need a lower compliance cartridge... this is for a FR64 which is a high mass arm.

I did read the many great reviews of this cartridge earlier this year.
    I don't think this cart is compatible with the FR64 arm, which is a high mass arm.

I read a lot about this arm over the past few months and it would surely be a choice if it was compatible.
    What arm are you using?

4. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Hana or Ortofon are my go to cartridges.

7. rich121

Yes, now a london Gold super might be something to get! I have always wanted to try a Decca cartridge, especially since from what I have read, the modern version are not so fussy.

PhxJohn likes this.
  8. rich121

Yes, many Ortofons... but Hana won't work.. not low compliance

9. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

The Fidelity Research arm is 35 gm effective mass versus 9 gm for the Clearaudio.

Some people are using upgraded (potted and retipped) Denon 103 cartridges to good effect, and the cost is very reasonable. You could get it retipped with a more advanced profile once your other cartridge is back.

10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Currently using an Ortofon Cadenza Blue which Ortofon claims is on the highly detailed, dynamic side of the fence.
    While I do agree with that assessment the sound is very revealing of the neutrality of the recording yet never manages to sound harsh or edgy- always clean and refined and slightly warm.
    I have no interest or need in any other cartridge

11. Brucedgoose

Brucedgoose Forum Resident

Shelter 501. Outstanding. Low compliance. In your price range. I use one in a Rega RB-300. Comparable to my old Lyra Clavis de Capo, but still available and a lot cheaper. See Mikey’s review in Stereophile for more details.

12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I have a medium mass arm but like it better with lower compliance carts. I have a hard time finding them. That said, as above, I'd look to Denon 103 or DL-100, or maybe even a variant of the AT95 like the SH, SA, or VL and to that end, the Clearaudio line.

13. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

I use an Fidelity Research FR64S. It´s by far the best tonearm I have laid my hands on. Lovely build quality and together with my SPU it approaches sonic heaven.

14. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

+1 on the SPU, or a rebodied DL-103

PhxJohn likes this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Just to clarify, the Fidelity Research FR-64 tonearm came in three different flavors / models over time - the FR-64, the FR-64S and the FR-64Fx. Which model specifically do you have --- it matters because some models are 20g effective mass, and others are 35g effective mass. Huge difference!

If you have the 35g effective mass tonearm, of course in today's world of medium compliance cartridges, you will have limited choices new, and a couple more vintage. I know because I have a 22g Em tonearm, and the 35g level is a beast -- very nice -- just not many cartridges out there to match it.

PhxJohn likes this.
  16. Metamodern

Metamodern Forum Resident

What about something from Gold Note. I have their entry level Vasari Red, and it punches way above its price point.

Vasari

thomand likes this.
  17. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Wasn't the S silver wired? The 64 had a steel wand and the Fx was oxidised alumimium. Different shells, too.

18. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Soundsmith Zephyr mkIII for high output or Zephyr Star MIMC for low output. Both low compliance and in your budget. Can eventually be retipped for 20% the cost of the cartridge.

Roy Johnson, Guitarded and Leonthepro like this.
  19. TheVinylAddict

First off, digging up info to clarify on the FR-64/S/Fx CAN get confusing --- I did it a few weeks back when HiFiDo had an SP-15 with an FR-64S tonearm for sale and I was interested.

First, I am fairly certain that for both the S and Fx versions, the silver wire internal wiring was an option. You could get silver OR copper.

Next, for sure the Fx model was aluminum, and most of us equate it to black in color, but there also exists a rare silver colored aluminum Fx!!!

Then, the Fx version was the 20G EM model, no doubt there. I am fairly certain the 64S model is 35g EM, but have seen information stating the 64(no S) is in the high 20's EM.

Where I get a little unclear is the FR-64 and FR-64S --- I think the S version is stainless steel vs steel on the original FR-64, but what makes me doubt is the FR-64s also has a rare black version... so maybe the shiny model was stainless and the black was steel on the FR-64S??? Conflicting information if you try and research.

Ripblade likes this.
  20. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I may be confused as well. I had the Fx for awhile, so no confusion there...yes, it's 'medium mass' (for Fidelity Research lol). I had a buddy with the heavier 64 with a Kesiki Blue on it. I think it was the S; it was black with a sticker that mentioned it was silver wired.

21. TheVinylAddict

That jives to what I said above... the S was available in black (rare), and with the S you had a choice of Silver or Copper wiring... The silver wire option had a sticker on the box, like you saw, the copper did not have that sticker.

So all good there....

Ripblade likes this.
  22. rich121

I have the FR64S

Thank you for catching that... I meant to have an 'S' at the end :)

23. rich121

The FR64S was the stainless version, and if it had silver wiring it had a small sticker on the arm wand saying 'silver wire inside'... such as mine.

24. rich121

25. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Pretty sure the 20 and 35 gm effective weights mentioned here on the FR arms is with headshell included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.