Cary 805

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Picked up a very nice pair of Cary 805's for my vintage system yesterday. The owner's wife said they hadn't been used in about 5 years, so I'm wondering if I should just fire them up or get them checked out first.
    This is my first Cary product so any other info about these would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks
    Tim

Guinsoo likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Fire 'em up.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Very nice!!! 50 watts per channel, class A, single ended mono blocks!
    Listening party at your place tonight! :D

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Very nice

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Big soundstage

should keep you busy for awhile

6. Tim 2

I got a chance to hookup and try the amps last night. I only ran them for about an hour as the left channel was a bit fuzzy sounding and slightly lower in level than the right. Checked to see if a tube was loose and a few other things but all seemed normal. Will order some new tubes today and try that before sending it in for a major repair.

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Based on past experience, I would advise against sending anything to Cary Audio for repair. If that is your plan, figure on finding another repair shop/ person.

8. Tim 2

Have you had problems with Cary Audio ?

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

good luck

send the amps to a professional

i'm finished here........

10. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I could not agree more. Cary has some really nice designs but, just had a friend with a V12 that had to go back twice (expensive to ship properly) and Cary claimed that nothing was wrong, both times. Yet this time it came back working well, but for how long??? We'll see... and now to hear this comment, I have some doubt to their competence and honesty, unfortunately.

Are those the Cary 805 AE (Anniversary Editions)?! Pics would be nice indeed.

Always wanted to give those an audition...

Happy Listening!

Tim 2 likes this.
  11. Tim 2

Yes these are the AE Class A triode amps. Sorry, haven't had any luck posting pictures here the last while, likely do to my incompetence or my computer.
    Sorry to hear about Cary's service, but I'd likely never send them there anyway as there's a great tube tech guy here in the Edmonton area.

Guinsoo likes this.
  12. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Best of luck to you Tim. Sure would like to hear how it all works out for you, those are amazing amps.

Happy Listening!

Tim 2 likes this.
  13. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Tim - if you do some searching , you may find the same opinion about Cary Audio's service. I have never had any personal experience, but reading reviews of their support and service is the main reason I chose my Ayre SACD player over the Cary. I read way too many issues.

- Buck

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. Tim 2

Thanks Buck. It' seems like the opinions here are unanimous about Carys service, A shame really.
    I also have the Ayre C5mp in my main system.

My new tubes should be here Friday, I'll keep everyone abreast of the results.
    Tim

15. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Surely that has to be a good service option. Those amps are awesome and you'll love them once they are properly serviced.

Tim 2 likes this.
  16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Love the sound quality- first class at the price point. Will never buy another Cary product.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm surprised at such negative reviews of Cary's service. Has their service always been poor or is it something that is more recent? New ownership?

Bill

18. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I've owned a Cary preamplifier, power amplifier and SACD player, in the past. Those were not good times. I have to think that they "could" fix the equipment they manufactured. It just seems like they won't... I have no idea why.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Wow :eek:! It's surprising that they are still in business.

Bill

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Beyond poor- the words incompetent and unprofessional would be an accurate description.

21. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I've always been really surprised as well....I've never owned any Cary gear, but you would think that a small high end company would work much harder on their service to keep all their customers really happy etc etc. You don't seem to find this kind of negative feedback with other small high end companies. Anyway, I'm sure it's not across the board, but the more you search, the more bad stories seem to pop up.

- Buck

22. Tim 2

What I find rather interesting is that not one SHF member has come forward to say what good service they received.
    All the comments here made me go to there web site and have a gander. I clicked - about us -, then -testimonials - , then it prompted me to " click here to see what our customers say about us ".
    Well I clicked a few times then started over and clicked more , but it seems there customer comments have been deleted. If someone else would be so kind as to try it, just to verify, would be great.

23. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I've always been interested in the SLI-80 integrated, but no more after reading all this!

24. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

On the " click here to see what our customers say about us " It takes a moment but I get a page with letters to Cary. You have to select the word "here".

25. buddybg

buddybg Forum Resident

I've had great luck with Cary products and their service. It's been awhile since I've needed any support, but when I did they were great. The 805s were always tempting, I love my CAD300SE Signature amps, they even did a few custom adjustments on my gear for next to nothing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.