Cary 805

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

The new tubes didn't solve the problem so I've packed up the amps ( the tech wants both of them )and will drop them off this morning.
    I guess the old maxim still applies, ( if a deal seems to be to good to be true it is ).

2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Not sure why there has been such bad thoughts on Cary service. I'm a Cary dealer, and personally, I think there service is pretty good. What little product I've ever had to send in has always been repaired correctly and fairly promptly (on time it can be a touch longer but this is normal with a smaller sized company). I think their techs and engineers are quite good actually.

3. Tim 2

Glad to hear that GoldprintAudio.

Got my amps back from the local guy last night. Everything seems to be good, won't start listening or comment on the sound till they have a hundred hours or so on them.
    Was wondering what type of sound and sonic signature I can expect ?

Thanks
    Tim

Guinsoo and GoldprintAudio like this.
  4. GoldprintAudio

Tim,

The 805's are incredible amps. The sound will actually vary a bit depending on which output tube you run (211 or 845).

To me, they give you that beautiful SET midrange and top end while still providing you with enough power to drive most speakers.

One of my favorite amps.

5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I've had bad experiences with Cary service and reliability, but I didn't have the benefit of a proper dealer relationship though.

Cary Audio gear is noted several times in Absolute Sound 2014 "Editor's Choice" (including my pre-amp). Tough to beat Cary for hi-end value. I love my stereo system as is, but I'll be going in a different direction when upgrade time comes around.

(Oddly, their SS power amps introduced a couple years ago have not been reviewed by Stereophile or Absolute Sound. I'd always wondered if that was a bad sign.)

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Since Tim couldn't do so, I wanted to post pictures of these monoblocks as they are drop-dead gorgeous:

[​IMG]

Enjoy them for many years in good health. :cheers:

DaleH, Tim 2 and jh901 like this.
  7. Tim 2

Thanks for posting the pictures Ray. :edthumbs:
    Mine are using the 845's. Not a lot of power but at my age thats not as important as quality and I still have my Mac MC2000 ( 130 watts ) for those occasions. The Guarneri's sound breathtaking with a few whispering watts and the flow and momentum the Cary's add after listening for a few hours today has left me with mouth agape.

Guinsoo and GoldprintAudio like this.
  8. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Congrats on your purchase. I like their products - I despise their customer service/support. I would now only consider buying one of their products if it were purchased new and via a very strong dealer. Having said that, I'd feel more comfortable with tube gear from ARC, Manley or VTL.

I'm sure you got a great deal, and you'll probably get years of entertainment from your amps. Enjoy!

Tim 2 likes this.
  9. Tim 2

Got my amps back again, had to send them in a second time. They spent almost two months in the shop so hope things are right this time. Anyway they sound great.
    Good thing I have spares.

utahusker, GoldprintAudio and jh901 like this.
  10. GoldprintAudio

What did they figure out was the issue?

11. Tim 2

Thats the question I asked and was left with mouth agape. The answer I was given would make the Declaration of Independence sound like a news brief. :confused:

GoldprintAudio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.