Cassette Deck Suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by molinari, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. molinari

molinari Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey everyone - I have a big pile of cassettes that I’d like to archive into my computer. Unfortunately I don’t have a deck - any suggestions on something to buy?

Thx!

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Something with three heads.

Daily Nightly likes this.
  3. harby

harby Forum Resident

You don't need a three head deck unless you are recording.

Something with a front-panel azimuth adjustment would be nice. That would be a rare Nakamichi deck though.

If it has Dolby C or even Dolby S, that means it's not only passed the lab's standards, but can play back those noise reduction formats if used when recording.

4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Any older Pioneer deck from the 1970's, I personally like the Sony TC WR-475 for its rare pitch control and also easy azimuth adj access. The Sony TC WR 570 is also good sounding (no pitch control) These are double cassette models but are very good sounding for a low cost cassette.

Better would be a Nakamichi 480 or any good Nak model. Be careful to purchase from a reputable seller who restores these, and has good feedback. The safer buy would be a Technics or Pioneer.

I do suggest to become familiar with the azimuth adjustment for archival work.
    An easy tip for setting up each tape, flip the mono switch on your pre-amp. Play the tape in mono mode (not recording yet) Turn the azim screw up to half a turn, left and right until you hear maximum high frequency level.. you're dialed in. (this takes only 10-20 seconds) Switch back to stereo, set your levels and record. It's best to use a plastic screwdriver (or star bit if a Sony) .... a metal screwdriver can produce a static arc from you to the head assembly and "record" a permanent "tick" on the tape. This happened to me.

As the azimuth is adjusted to each tape the Dolby should track perfectly. (in a perfect world the azim should be calibrated perfectly but they are not, most tapes will be different) The Nakamichi decks are known especially for their accurate Dolby tracking and precise factory adjustment. Their narrow gap Sendust heads resolve the highest frequencies recorded on the tape. But..... the azimuth must be locked in for each pre-recorded tape.

Some tapes will not respond sharply to azim adjustment, and seem to have max treble level with multiple adjustment positions of the screw. This is a fault of the tape, not your deck. The mastering is messed up in such cases. The better mastered tapes will respond sharply to the turn of the azim screw, and again, do this in mono mode.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    JohnO likes this.
  5. macster

macster Forum Resident

Budget!
    M~

johnny q likes this.
  6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Man I want a cassette deck and I keep looking for a pioneer ctf like I used to own but I can't rationalize it.

timind likes this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

I know. I used to have three decks in my system and find myself looking at used decks all the time. Knowing I'd never use it keeps me from buying one now.

8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yeah I miss the ritual of it. Cleaning the heads, opening up a new cassette, demagnetizing, recording, playing with the settings and the blue meters. Some things are best left in the past unless you have a real need.

timind likes this.
  9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

You could almost be describing a man who has grown tired of pursuing women.

The FRiNgE, rebellovw and Manimal like this.
  10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Or four

11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

"Real need":)

DRM likes this.
  12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Whatever you get make sure it works and has been serviced before you buy it or you'll be sorry.

13. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

Mid-'80s TEACs perform very well. Though, if you ever see a late-'70s TANDBERG 330 or AKAI GXC-570D: GRAB IT!
    Those two would've been 2nd and 3rd (respectively) after a first-gen Nak 1000...and would make Pioneers and Technics look like toy ****.

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I take it you never got the privilege to use a Pioneer Elite CT 93, one of THE best ever cassette decks made, period.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  15. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

This is why you have to specify a price limit here. Every question here zooms to $1000 suggestions.

How much can you spend? How much do you want to spend?

macster and The FRiNgE like this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Also, bear in mind, you'll often need to budget for repairs and overhaul on the machine often as not.

macster likes this.
  17. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I've owned TEAC since the mid 70's. First an A-450, then a C-3, and for the last 15 or so years a Tascam 122MkII.
    All have served me incredibly well with no mechanical issues ever.

18. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Can you tell us something about the big pile of cassettes that you have? How many, any indication of what kind of noise reduction was used on them, brand of type, type of type (1,2, or 4)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.