Cassette tapes revived in Japan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mertoo, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think the main difference is that when the lid came off of a cassette case you could just pop it back in place (the hinges were not broken), while the hinges on the jewel box case would often break and render them unusable.

Rather than a jewel box, I'd like to see a replacement CD case consisting of two separate parts: (1) the holder which contains a post (where you put the hole of the CD) and (2) a slip case (which also holds the CD booklet) that you slip the holder in. When put together it offers great protection for the CD without the drawbacks of the jewel box (such as a fragile plastic cover with breakable hinges and a CD holder that tends to have its teeth break off so that the CD rattles around in the case).

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, it's time the jewel box had a revamp after all these years.

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bring back the cd fatboy.
    That was quality packaging.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I've just received two fatboys. Quality.

5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I'm sure it could be done by attrition (just begin introducing the new cases for new CDs and selling empty cases for people who want a replacement) as long as the new case has the same dimensions as the original jewel box so that all of the current CD infrastructure (racks, holders, displays) don't have to be changed and the packaging from the old jewel boxes (booklet, back card) can be inserted into the new case.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

the most recent cassette i have is, new order - music complete, that came in a deluxe japanese boxset
    that was sold exclusively at concerts (and then later online).... haven't played it yet though.

anyways, i have an old car, and it has a cassette deck in it also, although i haven't used that either.

i think it's a fun format, but not a serious one for listening, it used to be about convenience, before digital mp3 players,
    and phones came around...

still, nice to see it's getting some attention in niche markets.,

later

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.