Cat Stevens & Eagles Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badfingerjoe, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm looking for some feedback/opinions on the most recent
    remasters for both the Cat Stevens and The Eagles catalogs.

I know both have been remastered by Ted Jensen.
    I'd like to know how these compare with the original pressings.

Thanks,
    JF

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I like the Eagles remasters. The Gold discs are obviously better but if you are on a budget, the remasters are better than the orginals in my opinion.

3. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

Surprisingly enough, they still managed to reissue the Eagles Live 1980 double album on two individual compact discs - despite of the whole album clocking in at a mere 77:10! Even Henley & Co. don't mind ripping off the consumer if they can get richer in the process...
    -wolf

lrpm likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I found little difference between the remastered Eagles "The
    Long Run" and the old one, except that the remaster was louder, of course. And, you guessed it, Steve's DCC "HOtel California" and "Greatest Hits" still slay the older ones.

If one never heard anything else, the remasters sound fine. I like "On The Border".

5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I bought two of the Cat Stevens remasters, Tea For The Tillerman and The Very Best Of Cat Stevens, the latter being a new compilation in the new remastered series. In comparison with an older comp called Greatest Hits, an '80s-era compilation disk, I really don't hear all that much difference. The new remasters sound light and airy with perhaps just a tad less original tape hiss in spots.

6. cjc

cjc Senior Member

I just listened to the remaster of Tea For The Tillerman (Cat's best IMO). I think the mix is pretty good. It neutral.This is really a fine album, one that will NEVER sound dated.

7. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I listened to some of my Eagles remasters last night (Eagles, Desperado, On The Border, Hotel California, One Of These Nights) and I noted that they are somewhat compressed and the levels and dynamic range seem to be identical on all discs. They are not this way on my LP's. The average Joe would think they sounded fine, however they have been altered. The original Elektra Hotel California sounds better.

Remember when they used to have to compress stuff to get it onto an LP? Now it's the opposite. The LP kills the CD dynamically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.