Catastrophe - new Britcom

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone watching this? It was aired in the UK earlier this year, but is now streaming on Amazon Prime.

This comedy is a cut above the rest if you like high-concept, edgy comedy which actually works. Despite a certain amount of crassness, at its roots, it's really rather sweet.

The cast is terrific and even Carrie Fisher has a role. There are only 6 half hour episodes, but season two is already in the works.

GodShifter and Jimbo62 like this.
  2. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I've watched the first four episodes. I like it. It's laugh out loud funny (which I find rare these days for me) although the humor & language might be too crude for some tastes. A likeable cast for sure.

3. Jimbo62

Jimbo62 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. My wife and I really enjoyed it and are looking forward to season two :)

4. Deesky

For the fans, here's a trailer for series 2, which airs in the UK on the 27th Oct:

5. davechen

davechen Forum Resident

Yup, I caught it on Amazon Prime. Didn't know anything about it, but it showed up on my Prime. I really enjoyed it. That trailer looks good too.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Great series. I wasn't sure I was into it after the first episode but it sucked me in. My only complaint is it's fairly compact with only six episodes per season. I can't see it going over 3 seasons with the situational aspect.

7. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

My wife and I found this to be surprisingly good! Sharp humor that oscillates between amusingly crass and smartly relatable. I wish there were more episodes per season.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The big difference between British series and American are the number of episodes. British series rarely go beyond six whereas American can go as high as 20 (with a mid season break). A very different idea of production for sure.

9. Pavol Stromcek

Right. And they also tend to end after 2-3 seasons, whereas American series tend to go for five or more (sometimes many more!).

GodShifter likes this.
  10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I think I saw the US guy, in Norwich last week walking back from the train Station (main line from London). It seems there has been a secret build of up alternative comedy talent that has moved to the Norwich area over the years. Could have been a gig on or something.

Cheaper house prices and just over two hours direct to London by train helps I guess.

Have watched the first three episodes and found it funny. Just need to finish it off.

11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I remember a BBC mantra for many years (before DVD boxset income ruled over creative longevity) was basically "quit a show while it's still on top!" That's why many classic shows never went much past 18-24 episodes. I would say Hi-Di-Hi and Allo Allo were the first to break this unwritten rule in the mid 80's. Shows that stayed long past their welcome.

12. Deesky

I was never much of a fan of Hi-Di-Hi, but did like Allo Allo initially, however it got very tired and repetitive way, way before it ended.

daglesj likes this.
  13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah Allo Allo was fun for the first three series but after that it was just tired catchphrase after catchphrase. All it had to redeem itself was the ladies running around in their underwear. I was just 13/14 at the time so...

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Enjoying the 3rd season, even with the darker aspects.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I finished the season in a day. Great stuff.

Deesky likes this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Troubling last episode. I had to avert my eyes at least a couple of times in the last minutes fearing the worst.

And add in the tragedy of Carrie Fisher, and this season ended up on a real downer. A very entertaining downer, but a downer.

Can't wait for season 4.

17. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I love this show. It's a shame we have to wait a year in between 6 episode seasons. American sitcoms wish they could be this edgy. Fun fact-Sharon Horgan created (but does not appear in-a shame)"Divorce", on HBO, a show you should also immediately watch.

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just finished the 2nd and 3rd season of this show this week. I'd seen season 1 a year or so ago (maybe more) when that's all there was on Amazon. I thought it was pretty good, but really loved the 2nd season. 3rd was pretty good too. The two leads really have good chemistry together.

Yeah, that was pretty tense a few times. I was expecting something horrible to happen any second, like when watching the Sopranos finale the first time. Rob's alcohol problem seemed to come a bit out of nowhere to me, but its been some time since I saw season 1. Did they establish him as an alcoholic way back then?

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I honestly don't remember either. I re watched season 2 but not 1. So was a little out of the blue for me too.

Just watched 1st episode of season 1 and sure enough the whole thing starts with him explaining why he doesn't drink anymore.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

You're right. I just re-watched S1 today and they did point that out. Since it had been so long ago that I first saw S1, I didn't even notice the time jump they did from the end of S1 to the beginning of S2 with the pregnancy.

One thing that got a good laugh from me in re-watching S1 was the fake Wes Anderson movie title, The Emancipation Of Flyburton Crisp.

21. Pavol Stromcek

Just finished season 3. This is still a great show. I just wish there were more episodes per season!

22. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Thats the beauty.

This way you don't end up with a last Season of Parks & Recreation type situation.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Agreed! Six is perfect. Leaves you wanting more and it's not a chore to get through. British shows have it right a lot of the time; less is more.

24. Pavol Stromcek

I have to say, that is a terrible example! There have been plenty of comedy shows that have kept the quality up over a higher number of episodes throughout the season, like Louie or Master of None, to name just a couple.

25. scottabs

scottabs Senior Member

When I watched season 3 last week, I forgot that the series only only had 6 episodes per season. So, after episode 6 ended, I was anxious to start episode 7 to see what happened to Rob.....:realmad:

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.