Catch a Fire: Remaster vs. MFSL?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pdenny, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient Thread Starter

I have the remastered CATCH A FIRE (single disc, not the deluxe with the original versions) and have seen the MFSL on eBay here and there. Any Marley fans who have both and can make a comparison, sound-wise? Gracias!
    :love:

2. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes New Member

Darn it... I tried editing my post. I don't know what happened, but I suppose I hit the wrong button. My revised post is below. I will try removing the quotation thingy...:laugh:

3. Duke of Prunes

Darn it again! My last post was erased while I was editing my original post! Now I'll have to start over...

Something's fishy around here. :)

4. Duke of Prunes

I basically said:

I haven't done comparisons, but a forum search of all open forums for threads with titles Bob Marley or Catch a Fire will greatly help you.

I have a Tuff Gong CD remastered by Rob Fraboni and Barry Diament, I believe. It sounds very good, I think... From all the previous banter, I concluded that there were no major differences between CD versions. Marley's catalog has been treated well, I suppose. I don't know about the MFSL in particular. It might be a bit warmer. Maybe bass differences... Someone who has compared can chime in. I've always seen the MFSL going for HIGH prices, though...

Anyone?

5. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

If you get the MFSL you'll eventually start craving for the deluxe edition with the original mixes. It happens to me all the time!

So seeing all previous Island/Tuff Gong versions sound pretty good anyway, If I were you (and I'm not) I'd go for the deluxe edition.

That's what I'll be doing once I find it at mid price.

6. Duke of Prunes

First, I just want to make clear that I haven't heard any personally heard any versions other than the one I have.

Now my question (not to take away from your original question, pdenny): What's the deal with this original mixes business? What does the deluxe edition contain? Most importantly to me, can anyone tell me how the original mixes and subsequent remixes differ? What am I missing with the Tuff Gong?

Robert

7. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

The MFSL version is better to my ears than the both the 1990 and 2001 Tuff Gong CD reissues. But we're not talking really huge differences here, as has been mentioned already the Marley catalogue has been treated pretty well. Best version of this album - to my ears - is actually the MFSL vinyl pressing. Great bass.

8. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

From all music guide:

This two-disc set heralds the beginning of the overdue reassessment of Bob Marley & the Wailers' Island Records/Tuff Gong CD catalog — and where better to begin than the beginning? Catch a Fire (Deluxe Edition) actually goes one better — issuing the original as well as a non-overdubbed (aka "Jamaican") version of the album. Disc one contains the latter version — which has been previously unissued until this point. It also tends to overshadow the brilliant sonic restoration done on the standard issue — featured on disc two. The early "Jamaican version" of Catch a Fire consists of the album as it was first delivered to Chris Blackwell — talent scout/owner/operator of Island Records. While pleased with the results, Blackwell convinced Marley & the Wailers that sonic enhancements might be in order. The "Jamaican version" was then remixed with added lead guitar work by Nashville cat Wayne Perkins, as well as various keyboards textures from John "Rabbit" Bundrick. The ironic thing is that the changes and augmentations made by the session pros ultimately suppressed the organic and otherwise uncomplicated nature of Marley & the Wailers music. This very quality became the thing that propelled Marley — and ultimately his message — globally as well as spiritually, allowing him to join the ranks of John Lennon, Bob Dylan, and Marvin Gaye. Also included on the "Jamaican version" are two additional tracks: "High Tide or Low Tide" and "All Day All Night" recorded for inclusion on the original Catch a Fire. While they have been released in various forms over the years, they have been returned to their place in the Catch a Fire running order. The second disc contains Catch a Fire the way it was originally issued. While not as historically significant, it has never sounded better.

Timos likes this.
  9. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

OOOOH...I want one, I want one!!!

thanks Peter!:cool:

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient Thread Starter

I bought the Deluxe Edition when it came out...although the original mix is a fascinating listen I still prefer the "tweeked" songs so I went back to single-disc remaster.

It does sound like Tuff Gong is a keeper. Guess I can spend my "mad money" on something else besides the MFSL. Thanks to all for your input! :)

11. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

The "Jamaican" version of the album is very nice, and very much worth having. Especially if you like a starker reggae sound. But the overdubbed official version is also a wonderful thing. The "enhancements" were just that, and while they did tweak the record toward a more Anglo/North American pop feel, they did so in ways that were very successful, ways that the Wailers, and Marley on his own, approved of, picked up on and ran with in subsequent releases. If you're a fan, you'll want both versions.

lschwart

Timos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.