CBS 1973 Fall Promo - "CBS Is Easy On The Eyes" Composer?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Terry Wilkie, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Wilkie

Terry Wilkie Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,
    We have been trying to find the original composer of this CBS 1973 Fall Promo "CBS Is Easy On The Eyes". The composer is incorrectly listed on one website as Dennis Lambert & Brian Potter. Dennis confirmed that they didn't do this package. CBS's documents don't go back to 1973 to indicate who composed the package.

It was suggested that William Loose composed this package but his estate confirms that this was not his either....

It is believed that Lou Dorfsman created those fall promos in the early 70's. Unfortunately Lou is gone and would have been the best person to ask.

Can anyone here help do a deep dive and find the composer of this 1973 package?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Terry Wilkie
    Museum of Television Production Music

Dan C and Vidiot like this.
  2. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

You would want to ask Barry I. Grauman on Youtube that question, I'm sure he would know.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, I actually worked for a CBS affiliate in 1973 and I can't recall ever seeing these promos. I had a bunch of the CBS jingles and campaigns on open reel in my vast collection but sadly, I think most of them evaporated about 10 years ago during a move.

BTW, I'm in shock that there's a museum for TV production music! My all-time fave was the one ABC did (which I worked on for Marks & Marks in LA) back in 1981:

These things are so damned hokey to watch now, but it's amazing how good they still look in terms of graphics and visual impact. Harry Marks was (and is) a genius at design and had great taste. It's the earliest example of my own color work that's out there. These were all done analog, no real "digital" anywhere, basically cel animation and talent. And I think 99% of the instrumentation is orchestral and voice, little or no synth. Plus the great voice of Ernie Anderson: "There's something in the air..." I loved those spots.

halfjapanese, Dan C and MLutthans like this.
  4. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Of all the ABC promotions, this one's my favorite:

5. Terry Wilkie

Thank you very much. Looks like the only way to contact him is leave a public message on his channel. We just did, hope he sees it....

6. Terry Wilkie

Would you mind checking to see if any of the reels are still around?

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I will ask "He Who Is in Charge of These Things," but I'm 99% sure they all be gone.

8. Terry Wilkie

I'll cross my fingers in case a miracle of miracles happens :) Thanks for checking sir....

9. Terry Wilkie

Frank Gari at his musical best :)

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I worked on the next campaign and asked the ad reps, "are we now going with 'we're still the TWO?'" They didn't laugh.

halfjapanese, Vahan and Dan C like this.
  11. Terry Wilkie

That's a riot!

12. Terry Wilkie

It's pretty funny, I've seen these spots a number of times and just noticed the multi-colored lights flashing on the talent to simulate the ABC comet flying by....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.