CBS gives “Murphy Brown” revival a 13-episode order; Candice Bergen, creator Diane English to return

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

As long as he didn't try to speak English.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

CBS Gives ‘Murphy Brown’ Premiere A Five-Minute Bonus

by Greg Evans/Deadline
    September 19, 2018 10:00am

CBS Gives ‘Murphy Brown’ Premiere A Five-Minute Bonus

[​IMG]

CBS is giving Murphy Brown an extra five minutes for the revived series’ Sept. 27 premiere, the network announced today.

The “extended” episode begins at 9:30 pm ET/PT, and runs until 10:05. (The hourlong S.W.A.T. will air in full immediately after Murphy, from 10:05-11:05; The Late Show With Stephen Colbert begins at its usual time of 11:35).

CBS describes the debut episode as the return of the Murphy character to the news business following a brief retirement.

“Amid a divided nation,” says the network, “chaotic national discourse and rampant attacks on the press, Murphy decides to return to the airwaves with her biting take on current events on the CNC cable network’s morning news program, ‘Murphy in the Morning,’ for which she recruits her ‘FYI’ team: lifestyle reporter Corky Sherwood, investigative journalist Frank Fontana and her former wunderkind news producer Miles Silverberg. Joining them is social media director Pat Patel, who is tasked with bringing Murphy and the team into the 21st century.”

Also among the characters is Murphy’s son Avery, who “shares his mother’s competitive spirit and quick wit and is following in her journalistic footsteps with his own new show, as the liberal voice on the competing, conservative-leaning Wolf Network. The team still lets off steam at Phil’s Bar, now run by his sister, Phyllis.”

Twenty years since Murphy Brown ended its original run, the revival stars Candice Bergen, who also exec produces (along with creator/executive producer Diane English), and co-stars Faith Ford, Joe Regalbuto and Grant Shaud. Jake McDorman (as Avery), Nik Dodani and Tyne Daly also star.

4. AKA

If the most anticipated show of the fall revolves around a woman over 70, it has to be 'Murphy Brown' - Los Angeles Times

If the most anticipated show of the fall revolves around a woman over 70, it has to be 'Murphy Brown'

By MARY MCNAMARA/Los Angeles Times
    SEP 20, 2018 | 3:00 AM | NEW YORK

On the second Friday in September, after a thunderstorm had blown a week’s worth of swampy heat from the streets of New York, Candice Bergen, Joe Regalbuto, Faith Ford and Grant Shaud taped the 251st episode of “Murphy Brown.”

Or the fourth episode of the show’s new iteration, which debuts on CBS on Sept. 27.

A century and a millennium have turned and 20 years have passed since television journalist Murphy Brown beat breast cancer in what everyone thought, after 10 full seasons, was the show’s finale. Obviously, everyone is older, but while the new show will explore, and exploit, the notion of, er, veteran journalists returning to a profession changed by social media and the notions of “fake news,” no one is any slower or that much different.

The original show actually began with a return — Murphy’s to her perch as an A-list anchor for the news program “FYI” after a stint at Betty Ford. Changes had been made during her time away then as well; although Jim Dial (Charles Kimborough) still reminisced about the good old days of Edward Murrow, and Murphy’s best friend, Frank (Regalbuto), complained about the network insisting he wear a toupee, there were two new kids in town: Corky Sherwood (Ford), the former beauty queen who had sat in for Murphy, and Miles Silverberg (Shaud), the dweeby wiz kid who was now the show’s executive producer.

Murphy was not amused.

She is not amused now as the episode opens with the announcement that this is sexual-harassment seminar day for the staff of her new show and that it is mandatory. “And you can’t spell mandatory without man, so have fun, you guys,” she says.

[​IMG]
    Candice Bergen and series creator Diane English on the set of the CBS reboot of "Murphy Brown" at Kaufman Studios Astoria. (Michael Nagle / For The Times)

Watching Bergen pull that instantly familiar sideways smile as she nails a sardonic line to the wall, or Ford launch into one of Corky’s breathless monologues, hearing Regalbuto say “Murph” or Shaud’s still-bespectacled Miles stutter a twitchy response, it would not be surprising to learn that creator Diane English and the cast have spent the last two decades putting on the show in secret somewhere. Just for fun.

Nor has English lost her desire, or ability, to tango with the zeitgeist.

Episode 251/4 is called “#MurphyToo,” and as the title and the character to whom it refers imply, the main story deals with sexual harassment and comeuppance.

Less than 48 hours later, allegations of sexual harassment will have driven Les Moonves from his long-held perch at CBS. Which, in just a few weeks, will be airing “#MurphyToo.”

So yes, in a shameless and overused reference to the show’s original premiere, she’s baaaaccck. Murphy Brown, who 30 years ago launched herself out of rehab and into the cultural consciousness, whose endless line of secretaries included Sally Field and Bette Midler, who dared to have a child out of wedlock on then-Vice President Dan Quayle’s watch, who loved Aretha Franklin and Motown so much that the expense of the music rights has helped keep the show out of syndication, is returning to prime time.

In the new series, Brown’s controversial offspring is a full-grown man. “FYI” is kaput, and she is hosting the sunnier “Murphy in the Morning.” She has traded pencil skirts for pants.

But, English says, “She’s still kicking ass, and she refuses to be sidelined.”

It isn’t often that the most anticipated new show of the fall season revolves around a 70-year-old woman, but CBS is betting that what the world needs now is a little Murphy Brown.

Sarah Palin near miss

Talk of bringing the series back in some form or another began shortly after the 1998 finale and came to a fever pitch during the halcyon days of Sarah Palin on the campaign trail in 2008.

“You always thought about Murphy Brown when some especially striking or grotesque moment happened in the news,” Bergen said in the green room on a set at Astoria Studios in Queens after a rehearsal where she was joined by English. “And I’d think, ‘God, I wish we were doing the show. This would have been such fertile ground and people would always bring it up…”

“Even [MSNBC host] Lawrence O’Donnell would ask, ‘What would Murphy Brown say?’” English added.

But though Palin’s bumpy campaign was tempting, Bergen and English always demurred.

[​IMG]
    A bus ad for "Murphy Brown" in New York City. (Mary McNamara / Los Angeles Times)

“Then we had an election,” English said, “and ‘Will & Grace’ came back and they were very successful. Candice and I were a little hesitant — we had 10 years on the air and a legacy. When these other shows started coming back, people would say, ‘Well, why isn’t ‘Murphy Brown’ coming back?’ So we finally decided it was time.”

“And now I’m on 5,000 buses,” Bergen said with that familiar semi-outraged syncopation, to which she quickly added, diplomatically: “They’ve done such an outstanding job, CBS. They’ve really supported the show.”

When “Murphy Brown” debuted, CBS had a number of strong female leads, on shows like “Cagney & Lacey” and “Designing Women,” but even among them, Murphy stood out. She was cranky, competitive, contentious and happily single, things women on TV were (and still are) rarely allowed to be. Neither was the show a typical workplace comedy — sitting presidents and other politicians were name-checked and skewered (and sometimes given cameos), and current events provided as much material as the standard personal foibles of the characters. It was said that on Monday nights, Washington, D.C., emptied out; everyone needed to get home to watch “Murphy Brown.”

[​IMG]
    Executive Producer/Creator Diane English on the set of "Murphy Brown." (Jojo Whilden / CBS)

Appointment television is no longer in vogue, but political satire is, and Murphy’s willingness to talk truth to power, while revealing her own occasional lapses, certainly fits the combative mood of the country.

And, more significantly for those involved, the new television landscape allowed English to get a 13-episode order, as opposed to the 22 to 27 the cast had shot each season for a solid decade.

“I was very surprised they said yes,” English said, “but it was a requirement. People have lives. We couldn’t deal with that schedule.”

“We would be walking around toward the end stumbling and hollow-eyed,” Bergen said. “I’d be standing outside crying, ‘I can’t learn my lines.’”

Like Murphy, English called in the old team. In addition to Bergen and the main cast — Kimbrough will also be reprising the role of Jim Dial — the 21st century “Murphy Brown” includes six of the original writers and the pilot’s producer, all poised to enter a world both familiar and completely changed.

And some of them still can’t believe this is happening.

“We hadn’t really talked about it in a while,” said Regalbuto, who costarred on all 10 seasons of the show. “Then I got an email from Diane…”

“…saying, ‘Do I write you in?,’” said Ford, also a full-run campaigner.

“…and then I was wondering if I should reach out to them,” Regalbuto said, laughing and gesturing to Ford and Shaud, who left the show after the seventh year. “Like ‘Did you get the email?’”

“What email?” Shaud said.

“That would have been terrible,” Regalbuto finished as they all laughed. “But here we are. I still can’t believe it.”

“Here” is the Kaufman Studios in Astoria, Queens. That’s about 2,800 miles from the show’s original set on the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank, but Murphy’s townhouse living room has been meticulously re-created down to some of the original knickknacks that Warner Bros. had boxed away, along with the original floor plans for the set. At the moment, Regalbuto and Ford are sharing the memorable maroon striped sofa.

There have been some changes too — photos of Murphy’s now-grown son, Avery, played by Jake McDorman, are very visible, and the walls are a warmer, almost golden shade, as if Murphy’s beloved house painter, Eldin (the late Robert Pastorelli), had finally finished the job.

So not everyone’s back — Pastorelli died in 2004, and though the gang still goes to their favorite bar, Phil’s, Pat Corley, who played its beloved proprietor, died in 2006. There are a few new faces as well. In addition to McDorman’s Avery, Nik Dodani plays Pat, the young technical adviser tasked with bringing the, er, older staff of “Murphy in the Morning” into the age of social media. (“I’m here to put the ‘brown’ in ‘Murphy Brown,’” says Dodani, who is of Indian descent, by way of introduction.).

And another formidable female of a certain age has joined the cast — Tyne Daly (“Cagney & Lacey”) is behind the bar at Phil’s as Phil’s sister Phyllis (yes, she does have a former life in law enforcement, and yes, those are the bar stools from the original set).

“It’s feels like being invited onto an all-star baseball team,” Daly said of being part of a new/old show, before offering McDorman and Dodani character-building advice and explaining to them who Jimmy Durante was. “The fact that they did 10 years, how important it was to everyone. The wonderful weight of it really moves me.”

[​IMG]
    Candice Bergen as Murphy Brown and Tyne Daly as Phyllis in "Murphy Brown." (Jojo Whilden / CBS)

The all-stars, meanwhile, were doing a little catch-up with English, and their characters. English left the show after Season 4, but returned for the final season, and she says, once she got through some fear-induced writer’s block (“I did a lot of vacuuming and took long vacations”), she picked it right up. “There’s a muscle memory there,” she said. “I can hear them all in my head as clearly as I did in the first couple of seasons.”

Especially Murphy, who, she says, has just as much energy and impatience as she ever did but a few more layers.

“She’s seasoned,” Bergen said. “She’s tempered.”

“Candice and I became Murphy over the years,” English said. “We have a shorthand. I can write something and know exactly how it will sound. Some of the newer writers will say, ‘Why is that line there?’ and I’ll say, ‘You’ll see.’”

“I was worried,” Shaud said. “I mean, what Miles’ energy was like — I’m 20 years older now. More, because I left before the show ended. But from the moment we did the promos, before we even started, it felt like putting on an old coat.”

“Diane’s writing is just as engaged as it always was,” Ford said. “Corky takes a lot of energy, she always took a lot of energy, and she has way more energy than I do, but journalists are being attacked every day, and we get to portray a fictionalized account of what that is like.”

And that, as much as the need to hear “Murphy’s” opinion on our current administration, or the success of “Will & Grace,” is the reason English and her team wanted to bring the show back.

“We deal with how the press is perceived these days,” English said. “When we left them, Woodward and Bernstein were heroes; that’s where Murphy came from. And to find yourself in this time of ‘enemy of the people’ and ‘fake news,’ that’s really rich for us. We have an episode about what happens in the White House press briefing room; we did an episode last week about a Steve Bannon-type character — do you put someone like that on your show or do you refuse to give him a voice?”

[​IMG]
    Jake McDorman, right, plays Murphy's grown son Avery Brown on the revival. (Jojo Whilden / CBS)

Murphy’s politics have always been liberal, and that hasn’t changed, but English is using the younger Brown to keep things from becoming pedantic. Avery is also a television journalist, but he works for his mother’s conservative competition, the Wolf network. He’s a liberal voice, McDorman says, but having covered the last presidential campaign, he has more sympathy for Trump supporters than does his mother.

“He’s hyper-aware that he’s the son of the iconic Murphy Brown, but he does like to poke at her privilege. It’s more generational,” he said, “than political.”

Though McDorman, last seen in “Limitless,” admits he is too young to have ever seen “Murphy Brown” when it ran originally, he knew what the show meant, and becoming the grown-up Avery was a bit intimidating.

“You don’t want Haley Joel Osment getting upset,” joked Dodani, referring to one of the actors who played the young Avery.

“The legacy,” McDorman said, laughing.

“My hands were shaking the first day,” Dodani said, “I’m not going to lie. But when I got through the first scene and Candice said, ‘Good job,’ I knew I was going to be OK.”

On the show, Dodani says, his character is not intimidated by anything, except Phyllis, Daly’s reluctant bartender.

“I don’t know why,” Daly says, looking at him in mock surprise.

Daly knows a bit about starring in an iconic show, and she characterizes the new world of television, in which anything, including the resuscitation of a 30-year-old series, can happen as “entirely different and exactly the same.”

She says she is still learning about her character, who, she adds, “is an old hippie.”

“She has a young man who is a Dreamer working for her, she speaks fluent Spanish, which is interesting, because I do not,” Daly added. “But I am hoping that she runs away with Jim [Dial].”

On the set, a producer joked that the new “Murphy Brown” may have the collectively oldest cast and crew in television, which is no doubt worrisome to some at the network. Dodani and McDorman are quite promising as millennial magnets, and even from one episode, it’s clear that the relationship between Murphy and Avery is both the heart and the narrative spine of the show.

Still, there is something wonderful about seeing Bergen and Daly do their scenes together, perhaps particularly in “#MurphyToo.” Just as there’s something inspiring about listening to Bergen and English speak in natural duet. Television has changed a lot, but not so much that shows with 70-year-old female leads abound; when asked whether she thought she could sell “Murphy Brown” cold, as a new show, English laughed. “Absolutely not. Maybe the first one, when she was 40. Maybe.”

Fiesty, fractious and newly sober, Murphy Brown at 40 was a revelation, a midcareer, highly successful professional woman who was far more obsessed with politics than her love life. Wait until they see her now. Still kicking ass and refusing to be sidelined.

Honestly, there should be a T-shirt.

5. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Shouted lines of comic dialogue haven't shone so brightly since Frasier went off the air. Let the sledgehammerss commence!

6. BeatlesObsessive

I'll bet he can STILL get around that Ottoman!!!

And knowing what I know now...I'M SURE I'd have created a navel gazing hyped up website in 1999... sold it for $100,000,000 during the tech boom and financed a flop sequel to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with Dick's voice dubbed by Timothy Dalton just so I could watch it this Christmas in the missile silo in Minot ND I'd have converted to a bunker with my hedge fund millions. But nooooooo... society was TOO CLEVER for flying cars by then!!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  7. Andy Smith

Dig it. We were promised flying cars and holiday homes on the moon. The future's let me down badly.

8. BeatlesObsessive

Tell me about it.... The Jetsons overpromised to the point of fraud.. we were all going to fly around in a levitating superconducting saucer..drop everyone off at school and the mall in little pods and then show up at a giant high tech office with a quantum super computer churning out results while we just put our feet up on the desk. Thank God we had Bugs Bunny cartoons to warn us that NO WAY would Mr. Spacely cut us in on such wealth just BECAUSE. Deep down us cynical Gen xers always knew we'd end up at ACME(Amazon) mindlessly filling orders for dangerous products filling thermoses full of frozen nitro glycerin and putting them on a conveyor belt!

9. Andy Smith

I learned all about our prospective future from Bleep & Booster, Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds, Stingray etc. I wanted my life to go that way (but without all the frequent disasters...).

10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I think you meant to write "as long as he didn't try to speak with an English accent". I believe DVD has spoken English his entire life.

MikaelaArsenault and Andy Smith like this.
  11. Andy Smith

Questionable..... We have 'views' about Americans trying to speak English. :sigh: and (possibly) ;)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I remember an interview in which he explained that he did not realize how bad the accent was at the time. He had a voice coach for the cockney accent in 'Mary Poppins' and the coach, the English actors he was working with and even Walt Disney did not say one negative comment to him about it. Some time after the fact he must have realized how bad it was, as he refused to effect an English accent for the character he played in 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'.

But back to the original point. Candice Bergman looks perturbing with all of that cosmetic surgery and camera effects to make her look younger than she is. For a show that prides itself on 'issues' maybe they could tackle that one.

ssmith3046, Vidiot and Andy Smith like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think they spend nearly as much on the Murphy Brown skin-defocus budget as they do on Grace & Frankie (the Lily Tomlin/Jane Fonda show). A "beauty pass" is standard procedure these days on a lot of shows and movies, and not just for the women.

audiomixer likes this.
  15. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

It was excellent, still is. I'll be continuing to watch every week. :edthumbs:

Larry Geller likes this.
  16. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

It was a slightly bump ride. This is to be expected. They had to introduce the characters to the new audience, reintroduce them to the returning audience. It had some good moments. I suspect the next few episodes will be even stronger.

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It's still a 3-camera sitcom with a laugh track.

forthlin and Billy Infinity like this.
  18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Was the idea supposed to be that there was a woman named Hilary Clendon who looked like Hillary Clinton, or was it supposed to be Hillary pretending she was a woman who looked like Hillary Clinton? And would it have been funny either way?

19. AKA

I was underwhelmed. It was clumsy, the exposition was bad, and the episode was predictable and boring. Hopefully it improves as the rust comes off.

forthlin, rburly and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

OMIGOD, ya know what? THAT'S the revival of characters I've really been waiting for! ( "From the *bzzp* condo in the ionosphere *zsssp* they're the modern space-age familyyyyy" ) Just imagine Phil and Claire Dunphy and fam and dog, who think they live in THE FUTURERERERR...!
    ...only, any idiot can look at them and see they're delusional, self-important dupes sharing a suburb with the rest of 21st Century America, only they just think their flying car is merely on back-order. "Jane! Stop this crazy thing!" refers to a sprinkler system with a bad timer. Rosie isn't really a robot - she just gets very sullen and quiet when ICE comes by (real name, "Rosa", of course). And the only reason Mr. Spacely can't really fire George, is because there's no "sprockets"; it's a charity food organization, and for some reason George is the only one who can keep the Meals On Wheels program working...

And you know why I worked for a half-hour on this idea in a thread about Murphy Brown? Because finally I found something interesting and witty about this subject...and I'm only hoping CBS has time to develop this idea in time for it to be ready when the network suddenly needs to fill this time slot. (Or, I suppose, they could just continue commissioning magazine articles to keep their bosses thinking it's still working)...

21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Just watched the first ep last night...Yikes, C minus. Not sure they can salvage this one.

misterdecibel and audiomixer like this.
  22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

"Excellent" is quite a stretch.

23. AKA

I agree with your assessment of the episode, though even a c-minus might be generous. I’m still hopeful they can get the rust off and have a halfway decent stretch of episodes.

forthlin likes this.
  24. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Seems like a very odd choice for a show to be revived.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    audiomixer likes this.
  25. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Oh for sure. I have a great deal of respect for Candice Bergen and I hope they can pull together to make the show a hit.

AKA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.