CBS is apparently looking to sell historic Television City complex. SOLD!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

They've been trying to unload that place for 30 years.

Rad Dudeski and guy incognito like this.
  3. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Why is CBS doing this? Taxes?

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

So......the K-Mart across from the Grove needs a bigger location?????

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]

sorry, nothing left at moment after buy CD's and vinyl this week!

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And that would be some BIG money. That's some PRIME real estate. Got to be worth a vast fortune. I'll be very sad if they get rid of the Farmer Market, however. I met someone who was part of a crew gutting the CBS news facility there. You would not believe the equipment they got doing that for next to nothing. Cameras, recording equipment, you name it. And they won the bid to haul it all out for $20k. They made well over a million reselling the equipment.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

CBS pondering sale of historic Television City studios in Los Angeles

8. Dan C

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I wonder if they could designate it as a historical landmark. I think it qualifies.

10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

It's not easy to build a studio so unless it doesn't get any use, it will continue as a studio.
    It is not worthy of a historical landmark.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

There's nothing architecturally or historically interesting. They filmed some shows, so what? It's not exactly like the Universal Studios backlot. Tourists won't be impressed by visiting an empty soundstage. @jojopuppyfish is correct. Filming will continue, but CBS will be wisely out of the landlord business.

Duke Fame likes this.
  12. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I'll buy that for a dollar!

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  13. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

Worked there briefly back in the late '90s. I never got the feeling of "historic" like I got walking Paramount, or 20th FOX.

SandAndGlass, Duke Fame and Shawn like this.
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Wasn't that the place where that 'art exhibit' from "Enter At The Gift Shop" took place?

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Meybe they could subdivide it and make it a nail salon, check-cashing/cigarrette store, insurance office and a T-Mobile shop. :idea:

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

CBS Television City is a BEAUTIFUL place. Have you ever been there? Took my breath away as a kid, still does.

Designed by William Pereira and Charles Luckman. Let's not be so hasty, folks. Television city two.jpg Television city three..jpg Television City.jpg

17. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

So many classic game shows taped there...

The Price Is Right
    Match Game
    Family Feud
    Pyramid
    The Joker's Wild
    Tic Tac Dough
    Gambit
    Tattletales
    Press Your Luck
    Body Language
    Card Sharks
    Now You See It
    Wheel of Fortune
    Win Lose or Draw

Just to name a few.

SRC, Tom Perry and Grant like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not much in the nostalgia department these days...would love to see it before it's gone.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wouldn't that be most likely?

20. Dan C

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    MMM and Vahan like this.
  21. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

How else do you expect them to make money? Creating good shows???:nauga:

Ethan B and ssmith3046 like this.
  22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My wife and I were at a filming of "The Price Is Right" with Bob Barker in the mid to late'80's. Quite a thrill being a part of that interview process trying to get on the show. Neither of us were picked, but you could see us in the audience when the show aired some weeks later. I still have a short video clip on VHS, of our quick audience appearance. To be honest, CBS was very huge and exciting, but it was nothing like the thrill I had, not all that far away from Television City, on LeBrea, at the former studio of Charlie Chaplin, then the home of A&M Records. I sadly couldn't get on the lot, but just standing outside the gates and knowing, not only all of the greatness of Chaplin that was done there, but how many of favorite recording artists, including The Carpenters, Gino Vannelli, Paul Williams and Mr. Herb Alpert himself, all recorded there. If all goes well, I'm hoping all these years later to finally have the chance to meet Herb and his wife Lani Hall, in November when they come for a concert in Kent, Ohio!

If I have sadly learned anything about studios and L.A., that barely anything is sacred out there and can be razed as quickly as a deal is signed. Knowing that my beloved "Bewitched" facade still stands on the old Columbia Ranch (Now Warner Ranch) and that the former United/Western studio where one of the greatest albums ever in my opinion was recorded (Francis Albert Sinatra And Antonio Carlos Jobim), makes me happy to know that at least TWO pieces of history, out there from my youth, still stands the test of time!

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  24. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

So I guess making it became a landmark failed. This sucks.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. Dan C

Well perhaps I’m being too cautiously optimistic, but these particular developers seem to refurbish the older buildings in their portfolio and build on surrounding land. Maybe this is a best case scenario for the historic buildings?

When we visited LA earlier this year we drove out to that area and saw Television City from the road. I was awed, but it did look smaller than I’d envisioned and there’s gobs of unused space all around it.

On a side note, I got a big kick seeeing all the groups walking at the nearby mall and historic Farmers Marker wearing their matching The Price Is Right shirts. Sooo LA.

dan c

Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.