CBS SPECIAL PRESENTATION--Remastered (or recreated), in HD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chip TRG, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't know *WHO* is behind these, but they look and sound phenomenal. Use them to make home edits of the Christmas specials that we grew up with!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Someone with a lot of time on their hands.

shokhead, crispi, JediJoker and 4 others like this.
  3. Chip TRG

I concur, and us TV geeks are luckier for it.

benjaminhuf and Gaslight like this.
  4. Is it me, or do these all look exactly the same?

Benno123 likes this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Now have him do the HBO "fly-thru" bumper. :)

Hey, HBO themselves actually put it up in HD on their channel. How cool is that? :)

6. Chip TRG

It's kinda you, but you are forgiven. This guy went nuts and did them in every variation known to man. 4:3, 16:9, mono, stereo, film grain, GATE WEAVE! As Steve said...this guy had a LOT of time on his hands.

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I wish someone could remaster the PBS logo from the early 1970s.

8. Well, thank God I'm forgiven! :sweating: I'll be damned if I can tell any difference.

9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I couldn't either:cheers:

10. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'm sure he was paid well for his work.

11. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

The HBO one I forgot about. Memories of a 6 year old watching movies with my parents and this would come on. Wow!!!

As for the CBS one, I have said it here before but every single time I see it I expect a slight jump in audio and a frozen pond to appear with the first chords of "Christmas Time Is Here" and animated children ice skating. Or newspapers with snowy winds blowing on them. Or snow flakes falling and Jimmy Durante starting to talk. That is the way I remember my Christmas TV viewing as a kid. I should use these to recreate like to OP said!

12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

There are tons of these on YouTube, and I love watching them (yeah, I know, weird). They bring back great memories. As someone stated above, I'd also like to see a redo of the PBS logo.

RoyalScam, 905, chilinvilin and 2 others like this.
  13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Yep, and this one:

MLutthans and Karnak like this.
  14. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident

This was always a personal favorite for New Yorkers

agaraffa, vince and Splungeworthy like this.
  15. Splungeworthy

This was always on when I came home from school.

16. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Yes, that had real magic to it.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, that is wacky. I think the look and feel is not quite the same as the original 1960s/1970s film version, I think because whoever did them didn't insert 3/2 pulldown in the 24-frame video image. But it's pretty close, as is the color. I also think the film weave is way too over-the-top.

Note that they grabbed the music clips from the Hawaii 5-0 soundtrack, which has composer/conductor Mort Stevens' music cues that made up this little fanfare. That was a very clever touch.

I'll say this: they got the fonts and kerning really, really close.

guy incognito likes this.
  18. Chip TRG

I think aside from people like you and me who are in the biz of TV/Film/Etc., I don't think 'civilians' would spot any difference. If I had to grade it? A solid "A", and on a charitable day an "A+".

As for the film weave...it's a cute touch. On original airchecks of it on YouTube, you can clearly see the weave when the CC bug is inserted over the original film. The film weaves, and the bug is rock solid steady.

19. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

For reference here, here is an original one, off the CBS broadcast master but obviously a couple gens down, and the youtube is slightly squeezed narrower. Just watch until 0:14

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, but the 3/2 pulldown would've been easy to do. I wonder if a clean copy of the film still exists, and they couldn't just scan that and fix that up. There's something about digital titles vs. film titles where they are not quite the same, no matter what.

21. Splungeworthy

Maybe it's because it's so compressed, but the original definitely has more oomph for lack of a better term.

22. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I recreated a take-off on the "CBS Special Presentation" for a project and the most time-consuming part of that was tracking down the Mort Stevens LP to get the snippets of music to edit together because I could only find the original in mono.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Hawaii 5-0 soundtrack did come out on CD. That's one of the rare TV soundtracks of that era to actually use real cues from the session tapes used in the series itself, and not a re-recording.

It shows you how skilled a music editor can be in creating an entirely new piece -- in this case, a memorable stinger for a network TV logo -- from several unrelated pieces of music.

24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That gate weave looks wildly artificial...that said, I have no idea why you'd want those versions.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, the slates let you know what's full-frame, what has film grain, what has gate weave, what's mono, what's stereo, and so on. This is very typical in the promo business, where you have dozens of almost-identical trailers and bumpers and promos that are almost identical, but not quite. The subtle differences can be very important to studio execs, network execs, clients.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.