CCR Master Tapes Question for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Cruz, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Howdy!

I have been listening to a lot of CCR. As you can tell from my avatar, I'm a fan. Anyways, I seem to notice sonic quality/clarity differences between albums and individual tracks.

I have read that someone praise Green River for its sonic qualities. I feel that the album does not sound as good as Willy and the Poor Boys. I love GR but I find it muddy. Cosmo's Factory, I feel sounds better than GR but not as good as WATPB, and the clarity or seperation is different on each track. Take for instance "Ramble Tamble", one of my top ten CCR songs. It sounds like all the instrument mics were bled into each other and sounds muddier than the rest of the album, and "Heard It Through the Grapevine" seems to have the best separation.

I do not have a great system and that may be a huge factor in my observations, but I do know that the times and equipment play a factor in these differences.

I was wondering if Steve could maybe shed some light on the differences in each of the master tapes and equipment used for each album since he's had his paws on each.

I don't know if this has been covered before. If it has, could someone point me to the thread and I'll go on my merry way.

Thanks

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Green River Sound

I love the way Steve's Green River sounds. To me that sound is the very definition of Swamp Rock.

The old Fantasy vinyl sounded that way but the Fantasy CD's were brightened up so much, totally changing the intended sound.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You are hearing the correct differences, yes.

GREEN RIVER was mixed on Altec Horns. Without them, the tapes sound "soft" or muddy as you would say. They sound REALLY muddy without mastering help, but as I've stated many times, I wanted to focus on the vocal quality rather than try and give life to the snare drum and cymbals. If you want THAT sound, get the regular CD issue!

These mix variations are just part of life and the systems of the time really couldn't pick up these differences. Remember, there was usually only ONE mix of each Creedence song; most mono 45's were fold-downs of THE mix. So, whatever was done is the way it is (other than the Quad stuff). Enjoy them for what they are.

Did that help? Ask more if not!

IronWaffle likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Forgot one thing. Remember, the magic of recorded music is in the midrange. As you system gets better, the midrange (which is really crucial) will come more into focus. Who knows, in 5 years or so, your idea of what is on the Creedence tapes might change!

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, I presume those fold-downs made for 45s must've got the '45 treatment' as well before leaving the factory? (Extra compression, etc.) I ask because I have a couple CCR LPs and a couple CCR singles and the 45s seem to jump at you a bit more than the LPs, sonically (in that 'hey, I'm a 45 mix!' way :)).

I can't wait to hear some of your CCR stuff.. so far I've only got a couple Fantasy CDs from like 10 years back when I went thru my big CCR phase, and I haven't really listened to them much since.

6. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

A few days ago I picked up the DCC's of Bayou Country and Green River. I was knocked by their sound the first time I played them. Sure enough, when I compared them to the Fantasy LP's they sounded similar (although better in that the vinyl isn't mint). The sound on my regular CD issue of Chronicles on the other hand is much brighter and as you said not very faithful to the intended sound.

7. Brian Cruz

Thanks, Steve. So what are the differences between equipment and tapes used for Bayou Country and Willy & the Poor Boys, considering they were all released in the same year? I know Bayou Country has a lot of tape hiss, and, as I mentioned Willy sounds the best of the 3.

Now, am I nuts or is there a difference in "Ramble Tamble" and the rest of the Cosmo's Factory? Is that because of too much over dubbing?

8. Brian Cruz

Definitely. I can't wait to upgrade. :)

9. Steve Hoffman

Bayou was mixed at RCA, Hollywood and Willy was mixed up north at Heider. Different everything...

10. stereo_fan

stereo_fan New Member

I have the quad.

What are the differences there compared to the others?

I love the quad mix BTW. Maybe the best of all quad releases. LOUD!!!

11. Steve Hoffman

The quad version is, well, in quad. The mixes have none of the excitement and charm of the original mixes, that's for sure. The ONLY thing they have going for them is that they are in surround sound. No excuse for a bad mix though...

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

That's funny. I was never impressed with the CCR quad mixes, other than the fact that it was Creedence. To each his own! :D

13. brianplowe

brianplowe Forum Resident

Are the 80's George Horn CD's flat transfers?

14. Steve Hoffman

Nooooooooo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.