CD Burner / Copy Program Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GabeG, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GabeG

GabeG New Member Thread Starter

I don't know if this has been discussed, but does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way (sonically) to copy a cd on a pc.

I understand that some programs do things to the bitstream. I don't care about speed, just accuracy.

Is it better to copy the cd onto the hard drive or copy it real time?

Thanks,

Gabe

2. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Welcome GabeG

Lots of CD-R discussion in this forum! Enjoy!

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Copy the CD onto the hard drive as a disc image at high speed, then copy it onto CD-R. 1x is NOT the best. Digital is different than analog. Slower is not better.

4. buster193

buster193 New Member

EAC 4x. Cant go wrong

5. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Yes...by all means go to www.exactaudiocopy.de and download this program. It's free (the author wishes that you only write a postcard in appreciation). It makes perfect copies when you save your disk image to the HD. It saves the cue sheets as well so you can even burn the pre-track gaps (if that's important to you).

As to your question about real-time burning: it works fine on high-end machines with plenty of RAM & fast hard drives (DMA) (ultra-fast SCSIs) but you'll get a better copy if you transfer to the hard drive at a slow speed and then burn back to your blank at that same speed. That goes for all machines. Hope this helps!

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Re: Re: CD Burner / Copy Program Question

Grant, I agree that 1X may not be the best but could you elaborate on why slower is not better. Especially on slower machines a faster rip will cause a lot of unwanted cpu and disk drive activity that can introduce pops and clicks to the output wavs.

I believe that the success of a more accurate read can be done at slower speeds anyway. If the drive runs into an error it has more time for oversampling correction therefore a more accurate output. Am I mistaken?

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Alex,

Yes and no. A CD Rom drive will "rip" a CD at what's called "burst mode" in which it will pull so many samples at a time, as fast as it can. Now, this works for Audiocatalyst and EAC, and most other CD copying software WILL do it this way most every time. Burst mode WILL use jitter correction and sampling fills AS needed. Lickety-split rips from Audio CDs can be a mixed bag, unless you know your CDrom drive is great at running fast through Burst Mode. Chances are, it will.

Now, lets' say in EAC's case... You CAN use a tool to detect error corrections and accurate stream. Once you enable THAT, most CD ROM drives will read at 2-8X average speed. Slow, but as long as it doesn't have to work hard to correct errors, you will get an anal retentive, absolutely accurate copy.

For most of 'yall, Burst Mode won't dissapoint. Experiment and come up with your own conclusions ;)

I've used both Burst mode and Accurate stream. ONly reason that I MUST use Accurate Stream is for DTS Cds. You cannot jitter correct a DTS disc or it will be garbage. Chirp, chirp, chirp!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.