CD Burning/indexing question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TSmithPage, Feb 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member Thread Starter

The CD burner that came with my computer allowed me to do indexing in certain limited circumstances (recording from outside sources). When I upgraded to XP, I had to get new burning software, Easy CD Creator Platinum V. 5, that doesn't appear to allow indexing at all. I have some boot live shows and other recordings I'd like to reburn with indexed tracks as appropriate. Now, assuming CD Creator doesn't have some function I haven't discovered to allow me to self-index, does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can do this- cool edit 2000 for example? If so, any easy to follow directions as to how to do it?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Not sure if you read this article, but we've covered why and where XP does not allow 3rd party software for recording cds. Read it, as you'll find that you did NOT have to buy EZCD Plat5. In fact, unless you have to use it, get rid of it. (I hate EZ, but if you like it, that's OK!)

You can take a whole CD down as a single wav file and a small cue file. It can be tricky, but you can use Cool Edit to "grocery-list" a valid CUE file and put the stops/starts of each track perfectly at your direction. You just need to make notes on paper of where you want things to start/end/countdown.... You'll see how it works.

You only need to take a CD, download and use EAC (see that other article above) and open the CUE file using Notepad. You'll see how easy it is (albeit detailed and long) to manipulate the position of index IN the cue file. Use EAC, learn it, and use Notepad to write/manipulate your own CUE file.

OR... Take the whole program into Cool Edit and choose your tracks. Highlight, save selection as [Track01, track02].... delete saved section, repeat. Then go burn with EZCD, or whatever.

Hope that helps.

3. TSmithPage

help!

Thanks for responding, Sckott. I downloaded all the appropriate files, but before I could take them for a "test drive", my sound card inexplicably quit working. I've verified the speakers work by attaching to an outside source, and diagnostics indicate that the computer is detecting the sound card and believes it to be functioning properly, but no sound is coming out, from my CD drive, DVDs, wav files, anything. Anyone have any suggestions in how I can restore my sound short of wiping the computer and reinstalling everything? I suspect the downloads caused a problem, but don't know that for certain. Anyone ever have their soundcard shut down like this?

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Go under "multimedia" under Control Pannel, no matter what Windows version you're using or double-click the "Sound Cone" by the clock in the bottom right corner of your screen.

Ya sure no one had turned the sound all the way down or muted the sound going out? That's how you can find out. Hate to say it, but it happens to people, and they don't check it. :) Then a lot of people think they're speakers went kaput. :rolleyes:

5. TSmithPage

No, I was the only one near the computer at the time. Actually, I had unplugged the wire from the soundcard to the speakers while trying to feed the out signal directly back into the computer, in an effort to make a wav file from a DVD I was playing. The sound never returned. I wondered if I had unseated the sound card but the computer still recognizes it so that's not it. It's as if the record industry realized I was trying to make an audio CD from a DVD and killed my sound card.:eek: Anyway, I'll try your suggestion when I get home from work this p.m.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.