CD Burning Question? - Track Gaps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by yesstiles, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi!

I have a TDK DA-3826 dual tray cd recorder. When I record music onto a cdr, and there are several tracks where the music runs together between tracks, the cd copy has brief gaps betwen the tracks.
    An example would be if I was making a mix cdr and was recording the 11-minute medley from McCartney's Red Rose Speedway album. This is four tracks, but really one continuous piece of music. How do I get the copy to not have the brief gaps between tracks? Is anybody familiar with stand-alone cd recorders?

I really appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I'm not really familiar with standalones but, is there any kind of setting for disc at once?

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Which software are you using? There should be an an option similar to "track-at-once" or "Disc-at-once". You would select "Disc-at-once" to get the same gaps as found on the original disc.

edit - Mike, you beat me to it!

4. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

Make sure not to select the 2 second gap between tracks. Clearing it out will make a live concert, for example, to be as it is in the source CD.
    If you're using mp3 as the source you'll need to edit them since they contain blank spaces at the beginning and the end of each song. Check that out.

5. yesstiles

The TDK DA-3826 is simply a cd player hooked up to my stereo. It has two trays so you can record cd's. My computer is not involved in any way.

6. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

7. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

I have a Philips 765 stand-alone recorder, but perhaps the TDK is similar...

"Press Auto/Manual to switch between automatic and manual track numbering."

AUTO: the track numbers are automatically copied from the digital source material.

MANUAL: track numbers can be incremented manually by pressing (>>) (Fast-Forward)

Note that the exact button-pressing will likely be different on the TDK machine, but I am posting it as general information. Check your instruction book.

Anyway, you will want to use the Manual mode in this case, so that the recorder does not make a track marker where you do not want one.

hth,

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

There's a Red Rose Speedway CD that divides the medley into separate tracks?

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

good point! I should brush up on my reading comprehension.

10. yesstiles

Woops, actually that was a bad example because I believe it is not divided into separate tracks. Sorry. A good example would be the MFSL gold A Passion Play cd from Jethro Tull. It is separated into about 10 tracks. I just want to record the last 19 minutes of the album for a sampler cd (the part following the Hare Story). Those 19 minutes are continuous music, but several different tracks on that cd. I Do Not want that brief gap occuring every few minutes throughout the copy I'm making.
    The same problem would occur I believe if you were dubbing some live tracks from a concert recording but not the whole cd.

Thanks again for the help.

11. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

You might not be able to eliminate the gaps completely with a dual-tray consumer-grade standalone recorder. I tried with my JVC 5010, without success. Your best bet is to use a computer running proper software; I use Sony's CD Architect 5.0.

Paul

12. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I had the same problem with my Phillips dual tray. I read the manual,You have to program the playback deck,and select the track or tracks you want to record, if it's the entire disc,you have to program it that way. Then instead of selecting your normal dubb mode,you have to select dubb II,and it will copy the contents as programed. don't know how your deck works when you dub a disc,but it must be pretty close to being the same. This makes it easier to dubb a concert without gaps...etc...
    All I can say is check your manual,or see if you have more than one dubb option.

JF

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is why I favor the computer method...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.