CD burning software programs that support FLAC?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Norm Apter, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I've been using Winamp for just about a year now, but have been having some major issues with it for burning CD-Rs lately. Rarely can I get it to work: it reports something like a driver error -- maybe I need to download a specific driver, but I'd rather just find a different CD burning program (preferably freeware as Winamp was free) that can support FLAC files than take the time to research the problem.

I have Windows Media Player on my laptop, but as far as I know it doesn't support FLAC.

Any suggestions for other CD Burning programs that support FLAC?

2. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

3. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Use Burrrn or decompress the files back to wav before burning, which is exactly what Burrrn does.

4. Norm Apter

Thanks guys, I've just downloaded Burrrn. Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble with this program too. The files are in FLAC, but when I hit Burrrn to burn the CD-R, I get a message like this for each of the tracks:

ERROR: Cannot open audio file "F:/burrrn_temp/01_pf1977-05-09.fob.menke.motb.0053.d2t03.wav": no medium
    ERROR: C:\Program Files (x86)\Burrrn\burrrn.toc:6: Cannot determine length of track data specification.

I'm wondering if I have the settings wrong. Basically, I just selected the writer (i.e. CD drive). But I also noticed three other boxes, which one has the option of "checking": CD-Text, Raw Driver, SPTI. Which of these should I "check"? Any other settings to be aware of?

P.S. I'm fairly certain that there is not a problem with these audio files because I was able to burn the first CD of this two-CD set when Winamp was still working properly. So I don't think the files are corrupted.

5. Charliemcd

Charliemcd Forum Resident

I don't really think your issue has anything to do with the settings you mentioned, but my install of burrrn does have the CD-Text and SPTI boxes checked.

The CD-Text setting means burrrn will try to write the artist, album title, and track title info onto the CD-R as CD-Text. I would normally recommend you have this box checked. Apparently they may be some CD burners that aren't able to write the CD-Text info, but I think that's pretty rare these days.

The SPTI (SCSI Pass Through Interface) box tells burrrn to use the Microsoft-written code that comes with Windows NT and later versions to communicate with the CD burner. You should have the SPTI box checked if you're using Windows XP or a more recent Windows version.

I don't know what your F: drive is on your computer, but you may want to reset the Temp Directory in burrrn, and make sure you set it to a temporary folder on a hard drive with plenty of free space on it.

6. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

support flac? You mean that do the job of decoding it to wav for you? cdburnerxp I think does it, but all you have to do is convert to wav first... all it takes is a right click convert to in foobar.

7. Norm Apter

I think this might point up my ignorance on the matter. In Winamp, I was able to simply burn directly from the FLAC files (Maybe it was secretly converting to WAV files, but it didn't show it). Anyway, the original files are in FLAC and when Winamp was working properly I didn't have to go through the process of converting anything. Hoping to avoid such a step.

8. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

Yes, it was converting to wav first. If it was simply copying the flac to cd you wouldn't be able to play it in a cd player, it would just be files.

9. Norm Apter

Thanks for the note on the settings.

I've tried using two different drives with Burrrn: the internal drive (E drive) and an external drive which I've connected to the laptop via USB cables. This is recognized by the laptop as F Drive (The note I copied above of course was taken from my failed attempt with the F Drive). I assumed that for the "writer" I should select whichever CD-drive in which I've inserted the blank CD-R for burning at the time, no?

10. paulythechef

paulythechef New Member

I having been using Any DVD and Clone CD with no issues for years.

11. Charliemcd

Charliemcd Forum Resident

Yes, for the writer you should select the drive you're going to burn the blank disc in. The temp directory needs to be set to a hard drive like C:. When you tell burrrn to use files in flac format (or any other supported format that isn't wav), burrrn converts the flac files into wav files, temporarily saves them into the temp directory, then burns the wav files onto the blank CD in redbook audio CD format. When it's finished burning all the tracks, burrrn deletes the wav files from the temporary directory.

12. TomCrook

TomCrook NERD

If you have Nero, there is a plugin that allows Nero to pull in flac files (as it already does for wav and mp3) for burning directly to CD. I haven't checked the newest versions of Nero. They might support flac without the plugin.

13. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Yeah. My method is to decode using foobar, and burn with EAC. No additional software needed.

If you're familiar with command line, you don't even need foobar to decode. Just find the FLAC.exe in your EAC folder and decode using that.

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've been using Roxio for years with no problems...

15. NickM

NickM New Member

Wow...I'm pleasantly surprised. I was just waiting for someone to say it sounds better if you convert to WAV as a different step before you burn...

16. larryk

larryk Senior Member

I've been using Ashampoo Burning Studio (now up to ver. 10) for several years. Will convert .flac to .wav for CD burning on the fly. Is also very good about removing a pause from in between the tunes which comes in handy if you're burning a concert CD.

17. Lex87

Lex87 New Member

I've been wanting to burn .flac files too but I didn't know about Burrrn. I'll try that app out. Thanks for the tip.

:goodie:

18. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Imgburn is excellent. On rare occasions, depending on your system, you may have to download an extra couple of files for FLAC burning. But it's a one-time thing and you never have to think about it again.

19. swinger

swinger Member

Another vote for Imgburn. I use it exclusively to burn flac files as audio cds. I had to download and install one additional program before it worked like charm.

20. aleg

aleg Member

A vote for Burrrn, small and works like charm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.