CD cases - Best kind and where to buy them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BobbyH, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is there a certain store or website that sells individual CD jewel cases? I'd like to get a clear double CD case, a clear single case, and a single case that has black on the left side instead of being clear.

Also, what's the best kind to get? I'd prefer they be as sturdy as possible. If I have to buy them in in a pack, I'll settle for that. I'm just mostly concerned about their sturdiness. Thanks!

2. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I'm also looking for sturdy replacement jewel cases.

I buy a lot of used CDs and I like to make them look new and shiny again. And those new cases (like the ones by HAMA for example) are so thin and bend so easily. They are ok for shelving I guess but I miss the old ones.

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

At this point, I suspect your best bet is to grab bargain bin CDs (1$ or less) from thrift stores or wherever, toss the discs and keep the cases.

4. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Yes I've looked around on the internet for discussion on this topic a lot in the recent past, and it appears the quality of jewel cases has declined substantially since the 80s and 90s, not just for replacement cases but for CDs issued even by major labels (and that's if they haven't moved to digipaks).

In particular they don't seem to make jewel cases with six holders for the booklet anymore (four big ones and two small ones), and just make them with four now. Sometimes they don't have the Compact Disc Digital Audio logo embossed in the tray, which I appreciate is a minor thing but always looks a bit cheap to me not having it.

One of the things that was suggested to me was to look out for job lots or bargain bin CDs (as curbach suggests above) from that era and throw away the disc and booklet.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yeah I miss those thick, hard, heavy jewel cases. Nowadays when you think they couldn't get any flimsier, out comes a thinner, more delicate model. Most even come with tiny cracks, result of anyone's not handling them like a raw egg; hell I myself put a tiny crack on one the other day when I exerted a fimer grip with ONE of my fingers !!!

I got a CD with 6 holders for the booklet the other day and thought ¨wow what a detail¨; it used to be the standard:(

dadonred likes this.
  6. BobbyH

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

7. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

When you buy a used CD, that's in very good condition but the jewel case is badly scratched, cracked, or looks like it has been lightly sanded,
    do you replace the case?

I usually do, because I like to make them look like new, but as the replacement cases get so thin, I hesitate to throw the old heavy ones out. Maybe I should keep them?

8. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

Can't tell where to get the best cases, but the worst ones on the market have to be what Audio Fidelity is using nowadays. Super cheap and flimsy, they crack easy, and often the center teeth are broken right out of the package.

DiabloG likes this.
  9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Wow you beat me to it I was about to post the same thing about Audio Fidelity when I read your post. I think their discs sound good but for the price I think they should at least provide a quality case, preferably the Super Jewel Box. Analogue Productions uses these and it seems like such a better product and like you are getting your monies worth. Audio Fidelity's artwork seems of poor quality too, I really miss the old DCC artwork and cases!

10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I only consider the Super Jewel Box a "quality" case if you like a chopped up back liner and a booklet hard to remove.

11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I find the booklets to be easy to remove, easier for me than with some regular jewel cases. Have never had a Super Jewel Box break yet and I'm not familiar with chopped up back liners.

ggjjr likes this.
  12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

[​IMG]

It looks to me like the top and bottom of the right side of the back liner (left side in picture) is chopped up to me. I personally do not like it but to each his own.

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

I have 2 of these in my entire collection. Dread the day I have to replace one. But the quality is gorgeous.

14. The Pinhead

If it's too beaten up I can't stand it. But I'd take a slightly worn out one over the thinner current POS that pass for jewel boxes these day. I got a nice new automatic Seiko chrono watch from my grandad when I graduated from high school. It came in a hinged steel case with velvet on the outside and silk on the inside (fake but nice-looking) that had the brand's logo screened in golden letters. Today ? A throwaway cardboard box:sigh:

15. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

That is Exactly what I did @ GW/SA. I stocked up! Especially with 'double CD cases', thick and thin. Also at the GW/SA there seems to be a lot of empty cases. I usually pay 25 cents each for minty ones.

Buying 20+ each double CD cases was a great idea. They are getting hard to find now.

16. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

In Germany you can buy empty CD cases of various makes incl. traditional jewel cases in hifi chains, and those chains that sell electronic parts. I just looked up amazon.com, you can buy equivalent products there. I prefer double slim cases as those are the most space saving.

dlokazip likes this.
  17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I did some research on this several months ago and came across several recommendations for Sleeve City USA. I bought a small selection of two, three and 4 CD jewel cases to try them out but was disappointed. Particularly in the exterior front and back which are thinner/lighter than the old ones and more easily scratched. So what I do now is use them for parts, replacing just what I have to on original but damaged jewel cases.

I recently got some decent blu-ray and DVD cases from Casetopia and may now try their CD jewel cases. The bargin bin suggestion is a great idea.

18. BobbyH

19. VicB

VicB Forum Resident

Here's another source I bookmarked years ago. I believe it was posted on this forum at the time. I have yet to purchase any, however.

Allsop - Strong Box

20. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Here in Austria they sell cases by hama at Mediamarkt and Saturn and the classic jewel cases I bought are very thin compared to the original old jewel cases back in the 90ies or earlier. If you take the front part (where the booklet is) between thumb and indexfinger, you can easily bend it with just a little pressure. The old one are very stiff and not so easily to bend.

21. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

I think I bought a box of basic jewel cases at Sleeve City several years back, but not sure how they stack up to what you are looking for or not. Sounds like several of you have very specific ideas of what you are looking for. Me, I wish all CDs had come in digipack cases.... saves space and look great.

22. BobbyH

Do all digipak cases use glue to keep the disc tray attached to the case? That kind of annoys me because it makes me think the glue will eventually weaken and the tray will become loose. I'm not sure how true this is though.

23. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

With Amazon's shipping methods it's imperative to keep a stash of replacement cases on hand. In addition, if I buy a used disc I'll not only change out the worn/scratched/cracked jewel case but I'll also clean the disc itself. Take a look sometime, you'd be amazed at what's on the disc, from chicken grease to fingerprints to I don;t want to know. Plus, who wants all that schmutz going into their transport?

I did some research on this a few years ago, ordered samples from several places. The best I've found for standard jewel cases is ULine. They aren't equivalent to the old-school cases of yore but they are the best I've found and the trays still have the "CD" stamp. Plus, they also sell doubles and the old style "fatboys" in 3,4, and 6 disc versions.

ULINE Search Results: Jewel Cases

adamos likes this.
  24. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I'd be interested to know how you clean the discs. I've got some used ones I'd like to clean but I'm always concerned about accidentally scratching or scuffing them.

25. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

First, I enlist my better half, she's got the "touch" and the eyes for it and can evaluate how much cleaning is needed.. :cool: We have a few dedicated micro-fiber cloths, used solely for this purpose. They get washed and dried (when needed) in a pillowcase so as not to pick up debris from other things being washed. We use a minimal amount of mild detergent and water, always wiping from center to outer edge, dry likewise with a clean cloth, then place them on the third for final air-drying. I then use an anti-static brush (the wired Big Brush generally used for vinyl, I have one for each format) then place it in the new tray. Cleaner than the day it was new. I also have a supply of archival Tyvek sleeves for discs that come in those new gawdawful "nested" cardboard slots that literally force you to grab/pinch the disc with your oily fingers and are so tight and rough they tend to scratch the discs.

I should note that I've also had to do this to some new discs as well. Some labels use sleeves of the improper plastic compound that leave residue on the discs and I've also found glue on them from cardboard sleeves.

Hope this helps!

adamos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.